JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think that'll be the best option to use. From the way it bonds you'll need to use layers of it placed in different directions to get the best results. The long bonds overlap each other with in the sheet and you don't know what direction the bonds are aligned so layering is the best option.

Why not look at ordering thin sheets to build up with a combination of carbon fiber and Kevlar for reinforcement? With the outer covering being a carbonfiber Kevlar to hold everything together. Personally if I was going to make body armor with it I'll use the above and add a high strength metal chainmail on the outer faces.

I maybe wrong but you'll need to do some research and development. o_O

Thanks for the input Page. I've looked at uhmwpe stand alone plates and they don't appear to be layered. Is there any place you can direct me that describes and breaks down the manufacturing process and the bond overlapping process?
Thanks Camo, I'm looking to end up with something less than 8#'s per plate.

Thanks for the input Page. I've looked at uhmwpe stand alone plates and they don't appear to be layered. Is there any place you can direct me that describes and breaks down the manufacturing process and the bond overlapping process?
Thanks Camo, I'm looking to end up with something less than 8#'s per plate.
That is going to be a tall order.. what is your budget? I see one thats 7.3lbs, but thats still one plate, ceramic/kevlar combo. This is for level 4 rifle plates though.
Physics says it's gonna be very difficult for material to be lighter, and still be able to absorb rifle energy impact. At least that is my understanding.
A double layer system of soft armor in addition to hard plate, may be your best bet, but it is still going to be heavy.

Level III = NATO ball Rifle Plate
Level IV = Higher Level Rifle Plate
Level IIIA = 357 mag w/jacketed soft point soft body armor
Combining SBA w/plates is useless as it will not stop any modern CF rifle round and adds 9.5 pounds to your load, wearing it under a hard plate might disburse the BFT and if you can hump a 56.5 pound basic load might be worth the bother

Level III is all I'm interested in at this point. How do sellers get away with advertising stand alone UHMWPE plates that float? If that's true, for the size & displacement they have to be like 2#'s or less per plate...:confused: Would that be an accurate statement?

Level III is all I'm interested in at this point. How do sellers get away with advertising stand alone UHMWPE plates that float? If that's true, for the size & displacement they have to be like 2#'s or less per plate...:confused: Would that be an accurate statement?
All in buoyancy. Unlike AR500, or most Ceramic armor, the plastic ones do float. Although, there is talk of having a thin Level III armor, backed or fronted with the foam from kick-boards as an impromptu floatable armor system. But that is a bit bulky lol.

Ive been secretly looking for some body armor as well. Im thinking the Grey Ghost minimalist or even the Tactical Tailor carrier, with steel plates.
I dont mind the weight. I use an air soft "vest" to hold two 10 pound weight plates when I work out now.

There are (or were) a few youtube videos of a 1" thick homogenous slab of UHMWPE stopping 22LR and 45ACP. It won't stop a 9mm though. As someone mentioned, the ballistic type of UHMWPE is made of unidirectional sheets of material bonded together with each layer oriented 90 deg from each other.

I've looked into it, and it's both a lot harder to do right than it seems, and costs a lot more than just buying commercially-made plates.

Plus, as much as I like to tinker and make things, I generally choose not to make my own safety equipment. The team of engineers who designed the product both know more than I do (I recognize that I'm no JMB), and have more money to test and revise the design before finding what works.

Theres a company out of Idaho that sells an AR500 setup with carrier for $300 shipped.

C.A.T.I. is the mfr, I found mine on ebay

Comes with a molle carrier in OD, Black & Coyote... Front and back plates and two side plates.

They have a different setup thats a bit cheaper with a different carrier and only front/back plates.

Level 3 stuff. Good reviews and they have videos on youtube being shot with pretty much everything.

Weight, of course, is an issue with this stuff... but if you dont mind 25# extra... its a pretty good deal.

Itll stop a .308 and 5.56 in most circumstances. Ive seen AR500 defeated with some XM193, but it was pushing higher velocity that the plate was rated for, plus it was at less than 10m... and it was only once.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need armor... you probably shouldnt be letting people with ARs get within 10m of you:cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top