JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was doing some wikipedia research and it appears that the FAST helmets use a new material that is more bullet resistant, handling some rifle rounds like 7.62x39.

My thinking is that if SHTF and I need guns/ammo, that I will probably want/need armor too. I don't have anything except the helmets right now, and even there not enough for everybody, but I will eventually get more. I am thinking about the newer ceramic and/or HDPE lightweight armor rated for rifle rounds. This might be one of those prep tech items that evolves over time enough to make it worth waiting for with regards to value/$
I have quite a lot of armor relatively..
A set each of the following;

-X-Large ESAPI (needs 3a backers or vest)

-10 x 12 rectangle plate backers 3A

-10 x 12 shooters cut plate backers 3A

-10 x 12 In Conjunction With; 3 + Special threat SS109 (aka old green tip M855) ceramic multicurve plates, uses backers, either the M81 with 2xl armor or the 10x12 rectangles

-2XL Safariland 3A soft armor panels

-USGI PASGT vest, either Med or Large, can't remember

-USGI L PASGT helmet

And I plan to acquire the following;
- Large SAPI cut Hoplite/LTC 26605 Level 4 multicurves; would be primary armor

-XL SPEAR/BALCS Cut 3A panels for RBAV vest

I used to have Level 4 single curve 10x12 Body armor outlet branded 4401SH shooter cut ceramic plates but they are awful in fitting me because I'm not a cylinder in the chest... traded them for the XL ESAPIs.

For relatively affordable armor? I would suggest RMA 1155 Multicurves, Level 4 ceramics, only 10x12s but under $400 a set. Otherwise there's the Hoplite/LTC Level 4 plates that are a decent deal for being multicurve and available in more sizes.

Soft armor is expensive if bigger than plate backers.

Buying used armor plates are a risk, but can be found on sites such as Ebay and www.tacswap.com as well as Reddit. And sometimes in the NWFA Classifieds here.

So I decided to take the inserts out of the woodland and the RBAV vests to see how the XL ESAPI plates laid on them; then as I was checking the plates, I felt a sickening crunchiness onthe lower right corner of the one with the white sticker; then checked the perimeter and sure enough, the ceramic is crumbling :(

So getting BALCS armor is now on the back burner, I can still justify as its basically 3A protection which should cover 80% of the forseenable threats (most murders and shootings are from handguns by number).. but.... my current top priority will definitely be getting the LTC 26605s in Size L from Apex when I can swing the monthly payments through Paypal Credit.

Shown with rubber antifatigue mats cut in rough XL BALCs shape :rolleyes: absolutely 0 ballistic protection outside the ceramic plates.
20211101_160856.jpg

And on the 2XL Safariland 3A vest panels (can't find exact model, its only says SIIIA on tags)... looks like decent fit for the XL plates?
20211101_160758.jpg

If I can score another good condition XL SAPI plate to replace the one with the sticker, then maybe I could sew up a new carrier for this combo? Eh I dunno.

How much do those plates weigh? I ask because I have some AS400 target plates that a 5.56/.223 cannot penetrate at 30 yards. They may weight more though.

How much do those plates weigh? I ask because I have some AS400 target plates that a 5.56/.223 cannot penetrate at 30 yards. They may weight more though.
The XL ESAPIs I want to say are about 8 pounds or so each? 7/8 to 1 inch thick plus whatever the 3a backers should be depending on brand and techology (usually 3/8 for Kevlar/Aramid but can be thinner for higher end new tech Dyneema hybrids)

I have ripstop.
Hope it's Nylon ?
Fun Fact .. Wrapped around a cardboard fabric roll tube , ( 1 -7/8" thick ) quality US milled , 1000 denier nylon Cordura, urethane backed fabric .
Will stop a , 87 grain Speer tnt . @ 2700 fps Vel. , muzzle distance of 8 ft.
Bulged the inside of fabric Tube , but not penetrated , with bullet stopping from a passing threw center .

Hope it's Nylon ?
Fun Fact .. Wrapped around a cardboard fabric roll tube , ( 1 -7/8" thick ) quality US milled , 1000 denier nylon Cordura, urethane backed fabric .
Bulged the inside of fabric Tube , but not penetrated , with bullet stopping from a passing threw center .

Fun historical tidbit. Ballistic Nylon, at least the 1080 Denier nylon, up to 1680D, were used in 12 plies/piles in flak jackets in the 1950s to 1960s for flak protection until Kevlar/Aramid fibers were developed. Also, aluminum oxide was used in the VN era Chicken Plate ceramic plates along with Boron Carbide and silicon carbide... materials used today in plates but technology developed where polyethylene backfaces are used instead of resin covered aramids.

Ditched the 90 degree MOLLE small adapter, found a couple more Khaki MOLLE pouches, redid the RBAV vest set up. More a display/funsies piece but functional. Still need the SPEAR BALCS inserts. However, I got denied for Paypal Credit due to "lack of recent credit history" :rolleyes: so I'm now back to saving pennies up :s0064:
20211114_130212.jpg 20211114_130321.jpg 20211114_130202.jpg

Hope it's Nylon ?

I just got around to using that roll of nylon and got down to where the bullet stopped . It was actually took about ( 1 5/8" ) thick, to finally stop that 87 gr.
-

TNT nylon stop.jpg
-

Not the Sapis, swimmer cut, but cheaper.

Not the Sapis, swimmer cut, but cheaper.

Good deal here, but not quite the size I want. Have a single L (10.25×13.25) Highcom 4S17M SAPI multicurve Level 4 plate coming from Apex Armor Systems that I paid $240 shipped.

I have thought about body armor for this old man because i can't run and body armor may give an edge against an adversary. As a contractor in Iraq we wore it every day and it was miserable and heavy. Once I got home I didn't ever want to see body armor again.

I don't know, I have seen war and just can't see it here yet.

I have thought about body armor for this old man because i can't run and body armor may give an edge against an adversary. As a contractor in Iraq we wore it every day and it was miserable and heavy. Once I got home I didn't ever want to see body armor again.

I don't know, I have seen war and just can't see it here yet.
For me, its more for having the right size to base a custom design off of; and for range safety (have you seen some of the idiots NDing at ranges??); perhaps weight conditioning for armed hikes, perhaps for being protected should one be anywhere near riots.. although concealable carriers and 3A should be more useful in such situations (dont look too much like a target).

I have this crap hanging on a body armor hanger to throw on real quick in case any neighborhood thugs need some schooling. Other than that we're not bugging out, but we'll be turning them into sandbags and stacking them deep!

98D928DB-574E-440D-BDEE-927CA8CF8B16.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews