JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
looking at a few logging clear cuts out in my area (SW Washington) but I can not find any information on laws governing outdoor shooting.

how do I know if the place I have selected is legal to shoot at?

here is location 1 [ copy paste to Google maps ] 46.252483,-123.067735

UPDATE thanks Binder I found this.

332-52-145
Firearms and target shooting.

sec (3) Where is target shooting permitted?

(a) Persons may target shoot in:

(i) Developed recreation facilities specifically designed for target shooting; or

(ii) Areas with an unobstructed, earthen backstop capable of stopping all projectiles and debris in a safe manner.

Persons shall not target shoot in any other location.

(b) Persons shall not shoot within, from, along, across, or down roads or trails.

(c) Persons shall not shoot on, at, across, along, down, from, or within five hundred feet, of:

(i) Recreational facilities that are not specifically designed for target shooting;

(ii) Residences;

(iii) Businesses;

(iv) Structures;

(v) Other areas as restricted;

(vi) Areas designated or posted as no shooting.

(4) What may be used as a target?

(a) Items that are commercially manufactured for the specific purpose of target shooting or similar targets privately manufactured by the person(s) engaging in target shooting that are consistent with this section.

(b) Unauthorized targets include but are not limited to:

(i) Natural features, except earthen berms or banks used as backstops for target shooting;

(ii) Vegetation;

(iii) Structures;

(iv) Gates;

(v) Vehicles;

(vi) Signs;

(vii) Other department improvements;

(viii) Appliances;

(ix) Furniture;

(x) Glass;

(xi) Privately owned or occupied structures;

(xii) Pets, service animals or livestock;

(xiii) Wildlife;

(xiv) Explosive and incendiary items;

(xv) Garbage of any kind.

Persons shall not target shoot at unauthorized targets.

(5) When is target shooting permitted? Unless otherwise posted, persons shall not target shoot one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.

(6) Is possession of a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle permitted on department-managed lands? Persons shall not possess a loaded firearm in or on a motor vehicle, except as provided by state law.

(7) Who is responsible for disposing of spent items resulting from target shooting? Persons who target shoot shall dispose of spent items and remove all shell casings, targets, ammunition packaging, or target fragments resulting from their activity, with the exception of biodegradable clay targets. Failure to remove any such debris is prohibited.

(8) Any violation of this section is a misdemeanor except a violation of subsection (7) of this section is an infraction under chapter 7.84 RCW.

Make sure you are at the least,out of the city limits.
I don't think there is any city in the state that it is legal to just shoot a gun outside.

Other than that,I look for the best back stop I can find in a nice gravel pit type situation,WITHOUT NAILS all over.

We do have a couple areas that the county has "no discharging of firearms" for some reason or another.
Your county should have these all outlined.

Have you physically been out there? Last time I remember being out there, right where it shows the logging road taking off Coal Creek, was signs that said private property and there were cameras. I could be confuzzled with another area.

46°10'26.89"N 123°15'6.39"W

You might try there, its a nice barrow pit. I'm pretty sure its DNR land also, but I can't find any suitable maps that detail that area too well.

Have you physically been out there? Last time I remember being out there, right where it shows the logging road taking off Coal Creek, was signs that said private property and there were cameras. I could be confuzzled with another area.

46°10'26.89"N 123°15'6.39"W

You might try there, its a nice barrow pit. I'm pretty sure its DNR land also, but I can't find any suitable maps that detail that area too well.

no not been out there yet thanks. that other place you show is too short a range. I'm looking for 100yards

Oh ok, wasn't aware how much distance you wanted. The only place I know of that you can safely get 100+ meters/yards is where I shoot on the IP 1200 road. There are probably more, but I found that spot and it worked great for what I needed

I'm not sure about that spot, I've never been up there. I usually go up Mill Creek. A lot of that is state land. There's a small rock pit where you can get out to about 50-60 yards. For longer ranges there's usually clear cuts around there as well.

many years ago after buying my first AR, and living in seattle, i went to shoot it. drove almost to everett, pulled off on some side logging road, and shot a few boxes up.. to my dismay, upon leaving the area, i was pulled over and had a road block up ahead of me, was pulled out of the car via a gunpoint and recieved a "shooting in a non shooting area" charge do not pass go, well take those guns for a closer look and all that jazz.

even thought the area was a well known shooting area, as you could tell by the shot shells and brass all over the ground.
granted it was "dark" outside and i guess thats where i went wrong.

everything ended up ok in the end but kindof a nightmare, thought they might take away my CPP.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top