JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My 1994 G19 slide does not rust. Period. And that is the major reason I like Glock. I was recently pondering getting a G23 and I ran across the rumor/fable/fact that "new" "made in USA" Glocks no longer have the Tennifer finish due to EPA/Aliens/Area51Conspiracies and that they rust.

Again, I already know that Tennifer finished Glock DO NOT RUST, and they never miss a beat, etc., etc. so I'd really like to focus on the rust issue with made in USA, non-Tennifer finished, Gen-whatevers, Glocks. I keep using search functions and I can't get answers.

I've seen a YouTube video of rust on a slide - but it is a short crummy video - a no talkie, so not much info and for all I know it could be peanut butter from the guy's lunch box. :)

So do the new ones rust?

My G17 showed no signs of rust... however my 870 looks like a WW2 relic if someone looks at it in the wrong way.

The only Gen4 "problem" I had was the erratic ejection pattern once or twice a magazine.

Tenifer was never used on Glock slides.

they only manufacture the plastic parts in the USA. They could very well do the tenifer metal treatment here in the USA, except that because of the cyanide by-product, exhaust stacks of a tall height are required. Do to cost and building restrictions, they will not build a factory here in the USA with the proper height stacks when they have the capability already in existance to treat the metal parts in Austria and ship them.

probably it's different by now.

My first Glock was a Gen 4 made in Austria. My body sweat did start rusting the slide. I have no experience with sweating on the older Glocks. I would like to have something I could carry and not worry about rust but that is why I chose Glock. Even if it rusts it still functions fine.
Good luck, stay safe and may God bless us all,
Mike

Tenifer was never used on Glock slides.

From the Glock Website

TENIFER
Unique GLOCK hi-tech surface refinement for barrel and slide. Apart from optimum corrosion protection and anti-reflective finish, a degree of hardness of 64 HRC - close to that of a diamond - is achieved.

Also, pretty much any metal coating can rust, regardless of the type of coating on it. What I've noticed (espeicially with firearms) is what I heard it refered to as "sympathetic rusting". Meaning that non-coated/treated metal items (i.e. a cheap magazine) sitting in/on your gun that rusts can still transfer rust over to the firearm in a spot that wouldn't normally rust.

On a side note, I've never had one of my Glock Pistols rust. Ever. And considering that I've owned them the longest that should say something.

Maybe you should do some more research.

Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, ever here of Melonite??

Glock Ges.m.b.H., an Austrian firearms manufacturer, utilizes the Tenifer process to protect the barrels and slides of the pistols they manufacture. The finish on a Glock pistol is the third and final hardening process. It is 0.05 mm (0.0020 in) thick and produces a 64 Rockwell C hardness rating via a 500 °C (932 °F) nitride bath. The final matte, non-glare finish meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications, is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish, and is 99.9% salt-water corrosion resistant. After the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized finish is applied and the slide is protected even if the finish were to wear off. Besides Glock several other pistol manufacturers, including Smith & Wesson and Springfield Armory, Inc., also use ferritic nitrocarburizing for finishing parts like barrels and slides but they call it Melonite finish. Pistol manufacturer Caracal International L.L.C. uses ferritic nitrocarburizing for finishing parts such as barrels and slides with the plasma-based Plasox process.

what do you expect when a selling point is a torture test, after that who is going to treat one like anything other than the disposable gun it is.

Interesting...I've never seen anyone ever turn a successful torture tested product into a negative aspect.

"Well I guess it must be a disposable gun since that's how everyone treats it."

Really? That's the best arguement you have against Glocks?

My 1994 G19 slide does not rust. Period. And that is the major reason I like Glock. I was recently pondering getting a G23 and I ran across the rumor/fable/fact that "new" "made in USA" Glocks no longer have the Tennifer finish due to EPA/Aliens/Area51Conspiracies and that they rust.

Again, I already know that Tennifer finished Glock DO NOT RUST, and they never miss a beat, etc., etc. so I'd really like to focus on the rust issue with made in USA, non-Tennifer finished, Gen-whatevers, Glocks. I keep using search functions and I can't get answers.

I've seen a YouTube video of rust on a slide - but it is a short crummy video - a no talkie, so not much info and for all I know it could be peanut butter from the guy's lunch box. :)

So do the new ones rust?
Tenifer was a coating on the metal under the finish, Email from Glock ---> The coating is a gas nitride with the same protection as tenifer only a gas process rather than a liquid process.

Glock rust resistant not rust proof and will rust, springs will rust first before slide and barrel. Glock owner since 1994 with normal cleaning and lubrication there shouldn't be rust. For rust prevention? I use CorrosionX.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads