Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

gas escaping from block

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by BDA.45, Feb 18, 2016.

1. BDA.45

BDA.45 oregon Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

So I just tore my ar down for a cleaning. I usually don't remove the quad rail cause it extends past the gas block and has the front sight mounted. Well I did and found that gas has been coming out the bottom of the tube/block. I should clarify, coming out where the tube goes into the block. Rifles got about 20-30000 rounds through it. Most of those have been shot with a can on. Do I need a new block? Tube? What's goin on, is the can causing too much pressure or something? Heat?

2. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Is the rifle malfunctioning? If it is, then start by changing the cheap parts first (gas tube likely) and then the block to see if it fixes the issue. If it isn't malfunctioning or damaging parts, then I wouldn't worry.

Dyjital likes this.
  3. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

perfectly normal

4. BDA.45

It just started to malf. Failure to eject. I chalked it up to being dirty. Got a lot of rounds this time before cleaning.

5. oli700

you didn't mention malfunctions .....not normal lol

most AR's leak at the tube/block junction, not enough to matter but enough to build up some serious carbon.....in fact I have never seen a clean one

6. Pistolcraft

Pistolcraft Oregon New Member

Make sure the set screws that hold the block in place are tight. Also, if it's having an ejection problem with that many rounds, could be gas rings. Quick check for that, remove bolt carrier assembly, extend bolt out, and set on a hard surface on bolt face. If the weight of the assembly causes the carrier to drop, you may need new gas rings. Check extractor for tension and damage, and gas tube for clearance. Factory ammo or reloads? Jacketed or lead bullets?

7. BDA.45

Well rings and extractor seem to be perfectly normal. I'm leaving the malfs to cleanliness. Block is pinned in place and has never been removed.

8. MountainBear

In my experience as a gunsmith, about 90% of malfunctions that walk into my shop can be solved by a proper cleaning. Good place for you to start, and from the sounds of it, that is your likely culprit. Good luck!

9. oli700

that floors me man :eek:

10. BDA.45

10-4, I'll keep shooting it and keep an eye out on the carbon buildup. If it gets significant quickly I'll start with the tube

oli700 likes this.
  11. BDA.45

Well he IS right.........

12. MountainBear

Often, it isn't the owners fault. Sometimes, the gun just needs to be taken down further than field stripping. A lot of old .22's need to be stripped to pins and springs to clean out that 50 years of gunk, oil, and unburned powder...

Most gun owners aren't equipped to strip guns completely apart... And get them back together. Before my gunsmithing days, I was guilty of taking my smith a baggie o' gun...