JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have had this problem too. One thing that helped me with roll pins is a set of 3 inch security bits from harbor freight. They look like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-security-bit-set-32-pc-68460.html

The roll pin will fit inside the center holes of one of these bits. For the short gas tube roll pin about half of the pin will sit inside the bit. Once you pound it in half way, then finish it off with your standard roll pin punch. Very slightly enlarging the beginning of the gas block hole is a good idea too.

This task gave me fits before discovering the security bit set.

What are you resting the gas block on when trying to pound the pin in?
Brilliant idea! I just installed a gas block roll pin a couple weeks ago. Took me about a half hour and one ruined roll pin before I got one properly installed and that was with a roll pin punch. I even have the security bit set you showed, but didn't think to use it. That would have made the job easy.

Brilliant idea! I just installed a gas block roll pin a couple weeks ago. Took me about a half hour and one ruined roll pin before I got one properly installed and that was with a roll pin punch. I even have the security bit set you showed, but didn't think to use it. That would have made the job easy.
A standard roll pin starter punch should work too. The trick is to find one that has a snug fit with the pin and covers about half of the pin length. Once you get the pin half way in the hole it is less likely to bend when tapping it in the rest of the way with a roll pin driver punch.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews