JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just tore my ar down for a cleaning. I usually don't remove the quad rail cause it extends past the gas block and has the front sight mounted. Well I did and found that gas has been coming out the bottom of the tube/block. I should clarify, coming out where the tube goes into the block. Rifles got about 20-30000 rounds through it. Most of those have been shot with a can on. Do I need a new block? Tube? What's goin on, is the can causing too much pressure or something? Heat?

Is the rifle malfunctioning? If it is, then start by changing the cheap parts first (gas tube likely) and then the block to see if it fixes the issue. If it isn't malfunctioning or damaging parts, then I wouldn't worry.

It just started to malf. Failure to eject. I chalked it up to being dirty. Got a lot of rounds this time before cleaning.

you didn't mention malfunctions .....not normal lol

most AR's leak at the tube/block junction, not enough to matter but enough to build up some serious carbon.....in fact I have never seen a clean one

Make sure the set screws that hold the block in place are tight. Also, if it's having an ejection problem with that many rounds, could be gas rings. Quick check for that, remove bolt carrier assembly, extend bolt out, and set on a hard surface on bolt face. If the weight of the assembly causes the carrier to drop, you may need new gas rings. Check extractor for tension and damage, and gas tube for clearance. Factory ammo or reloads? Jacketed or lead bullets?

Make sure the set screws that hold the block in place are tight. Also, if it's having an ejection problem with that many rounds, could be gas rings. Quick check for that, remove bolt carrier assembly, extend bolt out, and set on a hard surface on bolt face. If the weight of the assembly causes the carrier to drop, you may need new gas rings. Check extractor for tension and damage, and gas tube for clearance. Factory ammo or reloads? Jacketed or lead bullets?

Well rings and extractor seem to be perfectly normal. I'm leaving the malfs to cleanliness. Block is pinned in place and has never been removed.

In my experience as a gunsmith, about 90% of malfunctions that walk into my shop can be solved by a proper cleaning. Good place for you to start, and from the sounds of it, that is your likely culprit. Good luck!

you didn't mention malfunctions .....not normal lol

most AR's leak at the tube/block junction, not enough to matter but enough to build up some serious carbon.....in fact I have never seen a clean one

10-4, I'll keep shooting it and keep an eye out on the carbon buildup. If it gets significant quickly I'll start with the tube

Often, it isn't the owners fault. Sometimes, the gun just needs to be taken down further than field stripping. A lot of old .22's need to be stripped to pins and springs to clean out that 50 years of gunk, oil, and unburned powder...

Most gun owners aren't equipped to strip guns completely apart... And get them back together. Before my gunsmithing days, I was guilty of taking my smith a baggie o' gun...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top