JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Try your friendly local County employed agriculture or farm agent if you have one. Contact your friendly local community college for a forthcoming offered class catalog. Ask at the local greenhouses selling plants and stuff.

Years ago, (25) I, (we) took the master gardeners course offered at Rogue Community College in Grants Pass. A good class and worth the effort but they kinda concentrated on just piling on the pesticides and chemicals.

(found out later the presentation was partially paid for by a grant from a big pesticide company. Perhaps not good)

The best education we got was trying and failing for multiple years to lay in a tiny experimental survival garden. Failed. Perhaps actual experience down in the mud and bugs is necessary to build up your experience level.

Just me and respectfully.

Lots of books on the subject. Never had to even think about "gardening" with just basic, tomatoes, corn, beans, peas, carrots, oinions, potatoes, cucumbers and the like just plant and water, even started from seeds a few years. I will say ive always had to spray my mellons and cantelope to keep the PM away so they could finish.

While I've learned a lot from friends and family and trial and error, Youtube is a great resource. I'm subscribed to MI Gardener. I like his basic presentation style and he definitely has some great tips. MIgardener.

The biggest problem new gardeners have is soil. They go out and buy yards of a garden mix that is nothing but composted wood. Much of it has not composted and uses up the nitrogen meant for the plants. I have two 8x12" ceder raised beds and the first year filled it with nothing but mixed manure - chicken, cattle & horse. We had more produce than we could give away.

Check your location for hours of sunlight. They make tools that makes it easier - can't remember what they are called, but the same instrument that they use when setting up solar pales.

It does stink, but that's good. As I was diving home with it in my pickup truck a convertabe came blasting up on my bumper. After a few seconds, they backed way off:s0140: It lasted for several years before needing renewal.

But a Home and Garden book, lots of useful information and was my textbook in high school agricultural class (FFA).

Slugs are also a problem in the NW when first planting. I found some copper mesh at a reasonable price that keeps the slugs out of the raised beds.

Depending where you live, give East or West Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District a call. They are a wonderful resource for all things outdoors. Also, OSU Extension.

If you lived closer to me, you could come help me with my garden. Nothing teaches better than hands-on experience.

Volunteer your time to someone who lives by you. They'll appreciate the help, and you'll learn a lot.

Some people tend towards keeping chemicals out of the garden, while others use everything under the sun to grow their food. Whatever your inclination is about organic vs chemical gardening, try to find a group of like-minded gardeners in your area.

The local Extension Agent is a great resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top