JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For those of you who replied to my questions about AR gas blocks, I ordered an upper with a standard A3 front sight gas block and was originally going to go with a Magpul Mlok handguard. Well it seems that everything from everyone has finally gotten under my skin, and I cancelled the order for the Magpul and would now like to go with the free float option.

My question now is, are there any rifle length free-float handguards that are worth a damn AND won't break the bank? I found this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-inch-Fre...626886?hash=item25b000b746:g:xlsAAOSw~bFWKXIm

Is it worth a damn? Anything else to recommend like it? Whatever I end up going with, I HAVE to be able to put a front sling swivel mount on it.

I'm don't enjoy the porcupine feel of a quad rail up front, so after many iterations and $$ spent, I've gone non-tacticool to the Magpul SL handguards and couldn't be more pleased with both look and feel. Heck, I can even hit what I aim at too! :D

Here's a store's ad on Armslist that sells MAS Defence products for reasonable prices.
My preference is to not have the hand guard completely covered with picatinny rails, as they are rather uncomfortable to hold.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...xY6AOl30pmClPgA5siM-IA&bvm=bv.105841590,d.cGU

I like smooth surface ones that have slots which allows you to add rails, sling mounts, etc just where you want them. They are more expensive, but it's what I prefer.

l_100002079_2.jpg

Check out parallax tactical. I've purchased 8 of their handguards and love them. Every so often the post a "blem" sale on their Facebook page. Last one I got was a "13 ffssr m-lock blem for $99 shipped. I've only noticed small blems, if any, on most rails. My 308 rail had anodization rubbed off but won't matter if you decide to coat it.

1/2 of the units out there are now proprietary. Or it seems.
The UTG is a decent one.
I have it on a 16" HBAR and it was a nice upgrade. Much lighter than a quad. Even a small one. Sight radius is much better as well.

The whole process for removing the front gas block, barrel nut, etc. doesn't seem too daunting. I've watched the videos and it's nothing that seems out of my scope of ability at all.

That rail doesn't appear to have anything to prevent rotation of the rail. I'd pass.

THAT is something I was wondering with this tube. There don't appear to be any set screws at the rear of the hand guard at all.

It opens a can of worms (removal of the muzzle device, front sight and barrel nut) I'm not sure he is willing to open, but there are alternatives.
Only if you are "re-building". If you start from a receiver, barrel, gas block and tube, these are a great low cost option.
Ironbar, if you need help building an upper from parts, I am sure there are more than a few people (me included) who would be more than happy to help you build one for you.

I have installed several Yankee Hill Machine free float front
handguards. I like how it has 2 locking screws to secure
the float tube. YHM tubes run about $150. Sometimes on
sale for around $100. Which is about average price. When
I see these tubes for $60. I wonder if it is too good to be
true? I don't know maybe it will work just fine. But what
I do know that YHM handguards are well made and I like there
products.:):rolleyes::D
http://yhm.net/accessories/forearms.html

I would pass on the chinese made ebsy stuff. Btdt once. The rail kept coming loose. No anti rotation tabs either.

Midwest Industries super slim rails are my favs. I have the rifle length on a 16" barrel - love it. They are light, rugged, and have antirotation tabs. $180.00 tho. Can be had in keymod but seriously two phillips screws ain't hard to use and how much will you be messing with the rail placement? Of you are scoping the rifle i imagine the only items you will be hanging off it are gonna be a sling and a bi pod.

If its something that won't see the light of day outside of a range trip, a UTG handguard could work. You can probably find a guntec one for under $100. Would I trust my life to them? No. Would I use them at the range? Until I can afford better yes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top