JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The front sight post/elevation on my WW/James River AK is frozen. I have already broken two front sight tools just trying to budge it. I have been using PB Blaster Penetrating Oil but I still need a tool that I can use to apply enough torque to free it..

Do any of you have any recommendations on an inexpensive tool I can use that can be found at the hardware store/auto parts store, or is commonly found around the house? There is the "unbreakable" AKFST front sight tool available at Midway, but I don't feel like spending $35...

FWIW the rifle is "new" from a kit build.

Many thanks in advance

Spend the $35, the tool is awesome and was the only thing that would remove the post on my 107. The post didn't have the "split" all the way through, only on one side, was bound up so tight I broke three standard tools ( and trying penetrating oil, heat, ect...)

I saw Or oil recently at either BiMart or Sportsmans.... I'm having a senior moment so I can't remember which.

I first read the title of the topic and thought "so thaw it out" :p

Good luck!

Spend the $35, the tool is awesome and was the only thing that would remove the post on my 107. The post didn't have the "split" all the way through, only on one side, was bound up so tight I broke three standard tools ( and trying penetrating oil, heat, ect...)
B-Square makes (or made) an very good tool for moving the AK sights around. Those cheap TapcoCrapCo tools break too easy. Stuck front sight posts can be moved with 3in1 penetrating oil and then a bit of heat once the oil has worked in.

Do any of you have any recommendations on an inexpensive tool I can use that can be found at the hardware store/auto parts store, or is commonly found around the house? There is the "unbreakable" AKFST front sight tool available at Midway, but I don't feel like spending $35...

If you think that is bad you should have seen the price when they first came out.

PM me if you want, you can use mine (I'm in Salem, also)

Thanks very much to all of you. Everyday I come here I'm impressed by what a great community this is.

I decided to bite the bullet and just order the tool, *sigh*. It's not my first combloc rifle and probably won't be my last, and while I don't wanna see any more frozen/seized front posts, maybe this thing pays off one day...

It's a good tool. It is made by Dan Jaquish, a former Rifle Dynamics AK builder.

Here is what Jim Fuller had to say about them:
"Guys
I have seen every AK sight tool available and nothing comes close to this. We went through 10 or more prototypes of this tool in our shop before the final release so I'm convinced there is noting better on the market for this job.

Good stuff from Magna-Matic defence"

The Magna-Matic AK Front Sight Tool - The Best There Is!!

Thanks very much to all of you. Everyday I come here I'm impressed by what a great community this is.

I decided to bite the bullet and just order the tool, *sigh*. It's not my first combloc rifle and probably won't be my last, and while I don't wanna see any more frozen/seized front posts, maybe this thing pays off one day...

Well, when I have rusty plow parts that won't come apart I soak 'em in diesel for a day or two-should work for a Combloc plow as well:D

All kidding aside, can't hurt to give it a soak while your new tool is being shipped, and I have used diesel many times for stubborn stuff.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top