JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tell me when you find steak of the woods
Eat up!

shroom.jpg

My wife's grandson has been bringing in pounds of chanterelles lately. Every time he goes to a different spot and finds them - he has a knack. Great sauteed in butter with onions and a nice rare steak.

Still looking for morels.

Last Edited:
I had a hippy friend that would hitch rides with me when I drove to Tillamook to go fishing in the nearby rivers.
He would trespass onto the cow pastures and pick Psilocybin mushrooms that he found around old cow patties.
On the way home he would be tripping out far into space as I drove through the countryside.
We had a lot of weird conversations.

I had a hippy friend that would hitch rides with me when I drove to Tillamook to go fishing in the nearby rivers.
He would trespass onto the cow pastures and pick Psilocybin mushrooms that he found around old cow patties.
On the way home he would be tripping out far into space as I drove through the countryside.
We had a lot of weird conversations.
We would tell the farmers that we were doing a class project for High School. Worked every time.

Not much to loose. One of three options.

You live, you trip out or you die.
As you live, in preparing you use a lot of butter and get fat.

he has a knack.
Once you learn to recognize the genuine article vs the imposters, you also start to recognize the growth patterns and companion plants. Then it's looking.
My favorite ones to find are sparassis and amanita muscaria just because they're so wild looking.
Came across a grove of morels while hunting in a forest of mostly oak, hickory and beech. Thought it might be a good draw for deer. Nope.

Dang, puff ball? I've never seen one anywhere close to that size. I'm envious of your Shun.

Dang. I had no idea mushrooms could have that much protein! I love mushrooms, morels might be my favorite of any food, but I know nothing about how to forage for any of them

I'm envious of your Shun.

Well worth the investment. When I bought my first house, I decided I was going to get rid of those starter knives and start buying the best quality I could afford.
0F3C952D-52F9-473D-B6E7-1231196D199C.jpeg

I will say when you pick on your own for the first time and eat them, it's a nervous experience.
chantrelles are easy to define. One hint. They usually are pretty dirty. Lots of pine needles on them.

The old "Eat a small amount and if you don't get sick in 24 hours you're safe" comes AFTER you've positively ID'd the mushroom with reputable sources. SOME people can be allergic to fungus that is eaten by many others with no I'll affect. Morrel's can be that way. Chanterelles not so much.

Ha! I posted that pic as a joke! Never crossed my mind it would be taken seriously, sorry for the confusion. I know nothing at all about wild mushrooms.

COMMON NAME...Giant Puffball...Don't have the real name at hand now. MANY years ago dad found one that size growing in the middle of a dirt road when we were trail riding our Honda 90s in the mountains above the Salt lake valley. I've never seen one like it since.

Ha! I posted that pic as a joke! Never crossed my mind it would be taken seriously, sorry for the confusion. I know nothing at all about wild mushrooms.
Yes, puffball mushroom. They can be used for a tofu substitute. May people skin them before cooking and look great off the grill. The only ones that I have encountered had spored out and are similar to a smoke bomb when kicked. No poisonous lookalikes except maybe amanitas, but puffballs have no gills. Small amanitas do not have gills until they grow older.

Have some of these big white ones inthe yard under the cherry tree. What are they? They are about 10-12" in diameter and grow in twos, both coming from the same spot. It's not paper birch mushrooms cuz those look like light brown pancakes and are a little bigger and don't grow in twos and don't have that ridge on the stem. A9AC4B22-225B-490D-A275-E149E4359664.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top