JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been cutting firewood now for 15 years in the same FS designated area. Suddenly, this year there is apparently a problem that involves a timber sale in the designated firewood cut area. According to the Forest Service this has been an ongoing issue for the past 5 years so the "suddenly" part of things has me scratching my head. On top of this the area is also closed down because of a beetle issue. REALLY??? Beetles in a forest???? Who'da thunk it!!! I grew up in southeast Wyoming and there is a HUGE amount of beetle kill stretching from Colorado way into Wyoming. The NFS/BLM don't even require permits for firewood anymore they just want the wood out of the forest to help reduce fire danger. Why the local NFS can't see the logic of getting fuel out of the forest amazes me.

The FS says if I can identify an area for wood cutting they "might" issue me a special use permit. Of course, I have to identify the area then the FS has to go out and see if the area fits within their criteria. Same with the BLM. I can go identify a blow down tree, tell them the location, they check it out, and then they might allow me to cut it.

It is so mind boggling to me that I literally live in the heart of he timber capitol of the world with more trees and wood than you can even begin to imagine and there are no firewood areas anymore. It's kind of like a guy alone in the middle of the Pacific with water everywhere and nothing to drink.

Over the years I've found that BLM and FS employees realize they have the public by the short hairs. Customer service isn't in their lexicon at all. I'm not a violent person but I just want to punch them in the face.

Forestservice has been hiring young graduates of forest management programs foryears. When these guys start reaching management levels and higher then you canbet your carbine that they will be pushing to make forest entry illegal foranyone armed with anything but a camera and wearing comfortable shoes.

Forestservice has been hiring young graduates of forest management programs foryears. When these guys start reaching management levels and higher then you canbet your carbine that they will be pushing to make forest entry illegal foranyone armed with anything but a camera and wearing comfortable shoes.

Be careful with generalist comments like that. I have two degrees in forestry and am not, nor are most of the people I graduated with from Oregon State, like that...

So they won't even let you chop up a fallen tree for firewood?

This reminds me of a joke I once read...God tells "Steve" on Earth that he must build an Arc just like Noah did. Well Steve can't get any building permits and the government keeps refusing any requests for the animals he wishes to procure for the Arc. When the time comes, God asks Steve if he's done...when Steve tells God all the hassle he had to go through just to fail; God says "well it looks like the government is doing it just fine without me!"

I have two degrees in forestry...

I can't imagine how useful a first degree of forestry would have been beneficial, let alone a second one. You must really like trees. Is a degree in forestry like one step above a degree in underwater basket weeving?

All in good humor, MB.

I have two degrees in forestry
And that is admirable and respectable but your education is not what is under indictment here. I recently met with a FS 'Forester' and I thought I was talking to a refugee from the last Grateful Dead Concert. Not only was his appearance abominable but his spoken word and grammar were less than intellectual and while I finally got my question answered (somewhat) he (for whatever reason) removed his FS ID tag from his neck lanyard, dropped it on the counter, and excused himself leaving me alone with his ID. I could have very easily lifted it and left and used it for whatever nefarious purpose but I did not of course. It pissed me off that for years I applied for FS positions (not in Forestry but others I was completely qualified for) but was never hired. I always believed I had much to bring to the USFS of Oregon but I guess my short hair and clean shaven appearance was outside of the employee standards.

i did wildlandfirefighting in 96 97 and 98 and after spending all that time learning how oregon FS and BLM work,,,,,,,,,,,, oregon can burn for all i care

Kevatc read your last sentence a couple times knowing it is now a public statement. You may want to edit it out. Just a thought.

Thinking ... thinking ... Nope. The customer service SUCKS. The run around is ridiculous. After mulling it over I still want to punch them in the face. That won't get me any wood cutting permits but it would make me feel better. ;)

'Be careful'?
With all respect,the fact that it might not describe you does not mean that it is not true. Whichit is

It means that on occasion people make very generalist comments about an entire segment of a population with which they have been exposed to a very small segment. It can be offensive to those individuals who are a member of that population and who do not fit into the disparaging mold mentioned.

Just saying. You have a right to say things, just like I have a right to say I disagree and wish you wouldn't generalize...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top