JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For those of you who conceal and open carry, particularly in the Portland metro area, what was one major factor in your decision to get your permit. (Considering you must have a permit to open carry in the suburban/city areas.

Because you're cold as ice, right?

Not even close. When you're carrying, the first thing to go is your pride. Every altercation you're in while you're carrying involves a firearm, and it's not something to be taken lightly.

I carry because I've seen too many random acts of violence on innocent people, as well as family and friends, and I choose to not be a victim. I believe every person is entitled to what I believe is a god given right to defending themselves.

I can't tell you how many times I've thanked god we still have the right to carry a firearm.

Not even close. When you're carrying, the first thing to go is your pride. Every altercation you're in while you're carrying involves a firearm, and it's not something to be taken lightly.

I carry because I've seen too many random acts of violence on innocent people, as well as family and friends, and I choose to not be a victim. I believe every person is entitled to what I believe is a god given right to defending themselves.

I can't tell you how many times I've thanked god we still have the right to carry a firearm.

Good answer.

You can't think I'm actually serious...

(It was hard to tell if you were mocking carriers or exercising sarcasm, but you've earned the benefit of the doubt.:s0155:)

To treat the question seriously, though...

There are other people in my life counting on me. I am not just "me"; I am now the "provider" and the "primary defense system". Being a responsible, law-abiding adult means hoping for and working toward the best, while being prepared for the worst.

All around self-defense.

Also, right around the time I turned 20, I read a case from MI where a young couple was walking in a park near Detroit around dusk. A group of thugs accosted them and ended up beating the male half badly and then making him watch them gang-rape his girlfriend. That case of ultra-violence absolutely cemented my 24/7 mentality....some people laugh because I don't sit on the can and do my business "at the office" without my pistol but I don't care.

I've seen the dark side of our society. I've had methheads try to hold me up with a knife (2 times and counting), I've interrupted a robbery in progress at my brother's house, I've had to defend a close friend from being beaten by an ex (more than once), a man was SHOT 100 yards from my apartment, etc.

So yeah... dark side and stuff.

The people I value most dearly in this world, even over my own life, are the people that believe in the good of mankind and would therefore never raise a hand to another person, even in defense. So in order to protect them, in order to protect myself, I carry.

I'm not as eloquent as Col. Grossman.

mocking carriers

You assume too much.

I've seen the dark side of our society. I've had methheads try to hold me up with a knife (2 times and counting), I've interrupted a robbery in progress at my brother's house, I've had to defend a close friend from being beaten by an ex (more than once), a man was SHOT 100 yards from my apartment, etc.

So yeah... dark side and stuff.

The people I value most dearly in this world, even over my own life, are the people that believe in the good of mankind and would therefore never raise a hand to another person, even in defense. So in order to protect them, in order to protect myself, I carry.

I'm not as eloquent as Col. Grossman.

Interesting how different the world can be in some neighborhoods in the same area. I've never had too much of a problem, but I can see those things happen where you're at. I know exactly which you're at apartments now because of what you said.

Scary, but I'm damn proud there are some competent people around here. I doubt.

I usually ask why dont you carry ? Isnt it your responsibilty to protect yourself and your family ??? The day you need may never come but why take the chance , call it life insurance....

Interesting how different the world can be in some neighborhoods in the same area. I've never had too much of a problem, but I can see those things happen where you're at. I know exactly which you're at apartments now because of what you said.

Scary, but I'm damn proud there are some competent people around here. I doubt.
Yeah, its my choice to live in apartments. Even the suburbs though have their own problems. (and I like living close to work)

As much as I try to avoid trouble, it tends to find me. I'm not going to live my life as a prisoner in my own home though, I go out and do things, and that puts me in the path of less savory individuals sometimes.

Yeah, its my choice to live in apartments. Even the suburbs though have their own problems. (and I like living close to work)

As much as I try to avoid trouble, it tends to find me. I'm not going to live my life as a prisoner in my own home though, I go out and do things, and that puts me in the path of less savory individuals sometimes.

Sorry, confused you with sweetbeard.

My well being and the well being of my family are my responsibility. Whether it's financial, health, security or whatever. Nobody is going to take care of me; I've got to do it myself.

I do think a person who does not take care of such responsibilities is reckless. You put your child in the prescribed car-seat. Have smoke detectors in the house. Don't do drugs. go to work. Pay your bills. How dare you not take the means necessary to defend/protect yourself and loved ones.

When you're carrying, the first thing to go is your pride.
Joey may look funny, but he's 110% on that one. :winkkiss:

Just cuz you got your mohaska stuck in your pants doesn't mean you're the terminator, just the opposite. I go out of my way to avoid conflict; I don't go lookin for fights and as fat as I am, I'll try and run away from one.

and I care about protecting myself. The police are good for picking up the pieces after something happens.
I will paraphrase the old saying: If you leave it to the government to protect you, then you deserve whatever happens to you.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

I carry because we live in a country ware the bad guys have more legal rights than honest citizens. I carry because the constitution allows me to do so. I carry mostly to protect my family and myself. I carry because my Father and the Boy Scouts of America taught me to be prepared for any situation and because I am a prudent man.
I'm glad you started this thread too!
G.R.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class