JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I read the "Best places to find dry foods" thread (super info!) and Tionico mentioned something about flushing oxygen out of barrels for grain/bean storage.

I'm wondering what is the timeline for just storing, say brown rice, just in a foodgrade bucket without the flushing? With the flushing?

How long will home canned goods keep?

Dried fruits and veggies? (In buckets, away from moths etc.)

Seed storage, I can share a little info...

Keep in an airtight container, with dessicant, in a cool place.
Like your fridge. Germination after stroage depends on how many years it's been kept, did it stay dry, was the temp. constant, varies with the seed.

Better yet, plant the seed, let the best plant go to seed, save and replant :s0155:

Thanks for sharing info!

micheals,
Here is a link for Healty Harvest in Vancouver, WA

<broken link removed>

They carry all kinds of food storage and preparedness items. They can answer your questions about storage life of grains. My guess is 10+ years, in a sealed container, dry constant temp conditions.

As far as home canned fruits and veggies, we try to consume ours within a year and replace with the new harvest. You might check with the State Extension service. They will test your pressure canner and have a wealth of info on home canning.

I heard beans only last 7 years or so. After that they don't absorb water well. Rice should last 20+ years if stored properly.

Buy some dry ice and put a chunk on a paper plate on top of the rice or beans inside the bucket and set the lid on top. The dry ice will change to CO2 and push out all the air inside. Wait several hours before tightening the lid.

First brown rice goes bad fast like under a year because of all the iol in the rice rancid. As for doing alot of things if you mylar bag and use o2 packets you can get 20 to 30 years out of alot of things.

+1 on the Mormon manual - It's available online from a number of sites. Print it out!

The problem with dry ice is that it collects moisture from the air as a sheen of ice, so that it's near impossible to keep it truly dry before putting it in the buckets.

It's easier and more reliable to use oxygen absorbers - I buy mine from Honeyville Farms - and follow the directions that say use 5-7 of them per bucket, and use all the absorbers within as short a period as possible after unsealing the bag.

What I've done in the past is set up the food in the bags in the buckets, open up the absorbers and toss them in, then use a vacuum cleaner to suck out excess air as I seal the bags with an iron. I can finish off dozens of them in less than an hour.

Besides the food, the single greatest expense is the bags. These aren't Ziploc toys, they're multilayered aluminized Mylar, made just for the purpose, and they'll keep the contents away from outside air and moisture indefinitely.

How long the food will last depends - e.g. the oils in brown rice oxidize and go rancid, so it won't last as long as white rice, which properly packaged will keep until the next ice age.

I can't seem to find my information on the supplier of the bags - I'm pretty sure it was IMPAK, out of LA:
http://www.sorbentsystems.com/mylar.html

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR