JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First time posting but I've lurked a little while. I'm mostly a rifle nut with leanings toward single shots and bolt guns that I use to hunt critters from sage rats to elk.

I'm a reloader and like to help my friends get the most out of their hunting rigs with good ammo and minor tweaks to their rifles. Nothing real fancy, just a little stock bedding and fixing screwed up big box store scope mounting adventures.

When it comes to other types of guns, I don't get as fired up and tend to go plain Jane compared to my bolt guns. My 870 kills grouse and pheasants just fine. My AR has a 20 inch barrel and no quad rail (not an operator). A Glock 19 is with me wherever I go and a Glock 17 stays by the bed. I have a spiffed up 1911 but it lives in safe until the day I desperately need a downrigger weight.

That's me in a nutshell. Here's a picture of some turkeys I came across today at work.

IMG_20150309_104309907.jpg

Welcome aboard. sw wa is good for sage rats...we'd shoot'em on weekends as a break from college. Back when .22 was less than a penny a round.

Brutus out
As much as it pains me to say this I can't remember the last time I was at a BBQ. Years ago when I worked at a dairy I'd BBQ my supper at least twice a week during the work week. Howard's dad would throw a July 4th BBQ every July 4th at his place in Woolley. When I went on my Montana trip in '91 I struggled driving home so I'd get back in time to attend that blow out. Needless to say I was Mister Popular when I pulled a pint of 200 proof Everclear from my back pocket and offer up a snort! Anyone here not familiar with those Woolley Boogers would soon learn these folks are dyed in the wool hardcore partiers!! Russel snorked down almost HALF of that proffered libation before I pulled it away from him!!

For my own self I found a teaspoon added to a cup of coffee is sufficient. Furthermore 2 braced coffees is quite sufficient to *get the job done.*

If it weren't such a long shag from where I live to SW Washington I'd gather up my cookin' irons and bedroll and tie one on with all these guys myself. Now if gas was still $1.88 like it was just 2 slim months ago I'd be ALL OVER a roadtrip! Canned Heat and Johnny Cash there and back would go over right well with me!

Last Edited:
You wrote that you reload... and you wrote you had an AR. So, do you reload for the AR? I'm new to loading 223. Already reload other carts. I have some H4895 on-hand, so I'm thinking I'll use that for starters. Any other powder that you like for 223?

You wrote that you reload... and you wrote you had an AR. So, do you reload for the AR? I'm new to loading 223. Already reload other carts. I have some H4895 on-hand, so I'm thinking I'll use that for starters. Any other powder that you like for 223?

There are some standbys like Varget and H335. Lately, I'm using a lot of
BL-C2 because I found a bunch of it cheap but I haven't really shot it a bunch. Im trying to use it for heavier bullets.

H4895 may be a tad slow I'm short barrels and/or light bullets. I've used it in an 8 twist bolt action with 24 inch barrel. I was shooting 75gr amax. I later went back to Varget.

Thanks. Right now, H4895 is all I have. So, I might lose a few fps with that powder. I'm not too concerned with getting max velocity. I'm mostly looking for good accuracy. I've read some other peoples' comments about accuracy with H4895, with 55gn & 62gn bullets. Most comments have been positive. So, I'll give the H4895 a try. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top