JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are a couple of good threads on this already here. Try searching or someone here can put up the links.

I'd do it but I'm out the door in moments.

Bottom line, it's not a bad process, just follow the rules and bring a printed copy of the airline and TSA's web pages dealing with the rules. The counter folks don't always know the drill.

I'll find the links later today if you are still waiting.

Cheers.

There are a couple of good threads on this already here. Try searching or someone here can put up the links.

I'd do it but I'm out the door in moments.

Bottom line, it's not a bad process, just follow the rules and bring a printed copy of the airline and TSA's web pages dealing with the rules. The counter folks don't always know the drill.

I'll find the links later today if you are still waiting.
nt

Last Edited:
I've only done it a few times between Oregon and Arizona. I've always acted with an abundance of caution, I don't want to give anyone any chance or excuse to trip me up on my travel plans.

I put my pelican case inside my hardsided suitcase. The pelican is double locked (combo) and the suitcase is single locked (combo). No gun-oriented or "tactical" stickers on my cases advertising the presence of a firearm. Cable lock in pistol. Magazines unloaded. Unopened box of ammo. Declare it at check in, do what they say. Pretty simple.

I second carrying a print out of the state, TSA, and applicable airlines policies. I've never had to use them, but I typically print out my travel arrangements and order confirmations anyways (just in case) so it's nothing to stick those in the folder as well. Special note, I typically fly Alaska, but it's my impression that their are some subtle differences between some Airlines. Don't just look at TSA, look at your airlines policy.

If you search the threads as noted above you will find good info. I have well over 100 flights with firearms now, many out of PDX. I think your challenge will be on the New York side, not here. Once you get past NY, think you will find it easier. Even though I can carry in all 50 states, I avoid NY, NJ, MA like the plague they currently have.

Here is the quick and dirty list:
  • HARD sided case (Pelican type, not what the gun came in)
  • Multiple locks on the case so one side can be pulled open and the gun falls out
  • Keep ammo out of magazines (yes, technically many say you can do it but there are enough TSA / airline folks who disagree to make your life challenging)
  • I place ammo in original boxes, inside the case with my gun, others do not. I've never had in issue in 100 flights and likely 20+ airports
  • Be polite, patient (arrive with plenty of time to spare), and kind to the TSA folks. They will generally be very helpful if you are this way
  • Do not expect too much knowledge from the ticket agents; some are fantastic (Southwest and most American), Delta has been very hit and miss for me (expect your bag to be wrapped in zip ties when you arrive)
  • Be prepared for the ticket agent to ask you to open the gun box. Most do not, but some do.
  • Check airline website for their process (and then expect it to vary at the airport), watch ammo weight allowances

Here are a few extras:
  • You can put a thin bike cable on your box and attach it to the inside of your suitcase...prevents grab an runs.
  • If you are like most and have a dozen of those cable locks lying around, consider putting one on your firearm. Not required, but one additional step to prevent my gun from shooting up the airport.
  • Try to never use your carry on bag for firearms related activities. That way you don't accidentally bring stuff along like ammo, mags and gun parts.
Hope this helps a little

If possible do not book flights connecting in NYC or NJ. If you have a flight cancellation and end up in NYC or NJ, do NOT collect your firearms. Go to the agent and rebook immediately then have them call baggage services to retag the bags. If the flight is rebooked for the next day make arrangements to leave them with the airlines for the flight you booked. You could easily end up in jail for possessing an "Illegal" firearm or ammunition. Do you have a NY State Pistol Permit?

I will be flying from upstate New York to Portland, Oregon this May 5th. Would like to think I have done my due diligence by contacting all parties involved such as the TSA, Delta Airlines and even spoke to a lawyer in Oregon about transporting/open carry for a non resident entering the state lines. Was wondering if anyone who has experience flying with a handgun have anything to add for me to prep for my flight to Oregon.
I already have a TSA approved case and 3 TSA approved locks for my firearms container/luggage.

Thank you in advance!
The main thing I keep telling people who ask this, do NOT get lulled by the 20 tales of how easy it is. It is supposed to be easy if you do what you did. Get informed and know what is needed. The problem is always humans. You never know when you are going to run into some moron who thinks they know everything and says no to you. If this happens there is always another person there who will know the rules but, you may have to wait a while for them. So do not think because 20 people said its easy you do not need to leave time. Also some will tell you to print out the laws and rules to show the moron if you run into one. This will do nothing other than make it worse. Show up with a couple hours to spare and something to entertain yourself after you get through screening. Chances are you will end up spending an hour or two on the other side of screening but you can relax. If you cut it close and get the moron, and miss a flight? It should be easy, just leave a good cushion in case.

If possible do not book flights connecting in NYC or NJ. If you have a flight cancellation and end up in NYC or NJ, do NOT collect your firearms. Go to the agent and rebook immediately then have them call baggage services to retag the bags. If the flight is rebooked for the next day make arrangements to leave them with the airlines for the flight you booked. You could easily end up in jail for possessing an "Illegal" firearm or ammunition. Do you have a NY State Pistol Permit?
nt

Last Edited:
I will be flying from upstate New York to Portland, Oregon this May 5th. Would like to think I have done my due diligence by contacting all parties involved such as the TSA, Delta Airlines and even spoke to a lawyer in Oregon about transporting/open carry for a non resident entering the state lines. Was wondering if anyone who has experience flying with a handgun have anything to add for me to prep for my flight to Oregon.
I already have a TSA approved case and 3 TSA approved locks for my firearms container/luggage.

Thank you in advance!
I flew a very large Pelican case with two rifles and two handguns to Arizona over the holidays. The case has 4 locking points (one on each corner and two in the front middle). I took the case to the local locksmith and found 4 Master locks that were just large enough to lock in and provide no room to open the case - not even enough to slip a finger in.

Absolutely DO NOT use the TSA locks where TSA has a key. There is no reason for them to get into your case. You'll check in, take the gun through a checkin where the case will be inspected, then you lock it back up and of it goes to the belly of the plain. You should then have to show your ID to collect the case.

Give yourself an extra bit of time to do this case inspection. For mine, they turned the case inside and out to check under all the foam...it was very thorough (out of PDX). Into PDX from PHX was much quicker.

If you search the threads as noted above you will find good info. I have well over 100 flights with firearms now, many out of PDX. I think your challenge will be on the New York side, not here. Once you get past NY, think you will find it easier. Even though I can carry in all 50 states, I avoid NY, NJ, MA like the plague they currently have.

Here is the quick and dirty list:
  • HARD sided case (Pelican type, not what the gun came in)
  • Multiple locks on the case so one side can be pulled open and the gun falls out
  • Keep ammo out of magazines (yes, technically many say you can do it but there are enough TSA / airline folks who disagree to make your life challenging)
  • I place ammo in original boxes, inside the case with my gun, others do not. I've never had in issue in 100 flights and likely 20+ airports
  • Be polite, patient (arrive with plenty of time to spare), and kind to the TSA folks. They will generally be very helpful if you are this way
  • Do not expect too much knowledge from the ticket agents; some are fantastic (Southwest and most American), Delta has been very hit and miss for me (expect your bag to be wrapped in zip ties when you arrive)
  • Be prepared for the ticket agent to ask you to open the gun box. Most do not, but some do.
  • Check airline website for their process (and then expect it to vary at the airport), watch ammo weight allowances

Here are a few extras:
  • You can put a thin bike cable on your box and attach it to the inside of your suitcase...prevents grab an runs.
  • If you are like most and have a dozen of those cable locks lying around, consider putting one on your firearm. Not required, but one additional step to prevent my gun from shooting up the airport.
  • Try to never use your carry on bag for firearms related activities. That way you don't accidentally bring stuff along like ammo, mags and gun parts.
Hope this helps a little
Excellent advice from @WillametteWill , matches my own experience.

Last time I flew with Delta, they would not let me do advanced check-in online for the return flight, due to the system remembering I fly with firearms. Give yourself time....

On an aside, I have, on multiple occasions (i.e. 5+) worn a T-shirt my brother gave me. My observation, it has been well received by all TSA agents and not one ticket agent has given me grief.

The T shirt :
1587672656943.png

While I appreciate your advice, I put a lot of thought into this and decided to place the TSA approved locks on my handgun case. My thinking it would give them nothing to add to the equation as far as asking more questions. They can look all they want as far as I'm concerned.

View attachment 687943

Do as you see fit. The purpose of the lock is to discourage theft and stolen firearms does happen. At least make sure your gun is insured before leaving.

From TSA (Transporting Firearms and Ammunition) emphasis mine:
Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

While I appriciate your advice, I put a lot of thought into this and decided to place the TSA approved locks on my handgun case. My thinking it would give them nothing to add to the equation as far as asking more questions. They can look all they want as far as I'm concerned.
Philly TSA has asked to open my gun case 2x in the last year, my last trip being the 2nd. I do not use TSA locks, the lock shackle is too thin to prevent the case from being opened enough to get some fingers in. I use the 4 digit Master combo and tell them over the phone. Never anything missing. Also, I have five locking travel cases, each with a different lock hole diameter. Make sure you lock fits the hole before heading off to the airport.

Last Edited:
In regards to the TSA locks:

TSA Website "You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks "

Caveat is 49 CFR 1540.111 section (C)(iv) "The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination."

Agents are required by law to contact you to open your case if they wish to inspect it. This is how it works when you check in, and afterwards. So while you "may" use a TSA lock, they can't legally open it anyways, so (1) you're not actually helping anyone, and (2) you're leaving yourself open to theft

Do with that which you will

Dear Hueco,

I didn't get this far in life not recognizing and admitting when I made the wrong decision. I just ordered 3 NON TSA compliant locks for my gun case.
THANK YOU for being persistence and urging me to do the right thing with this matter. I hope we get to meet up during my stay in Beaverton and if so the first beer is on me!! Thanks again my new friend:)
We're all stubborn as fu**. Comes with the crowd ;). I flew with about $4000 between the two rifles and two handguns and all the mags and scopes and was really worried that someone was going to walk off with it or attempt to get in, especially because the article about the TSA thief out of PDX had just hit.

Good luck and safe flight!

The last time I flew with a handgun - Portland to Phoenix, they did not open, or want the case open. They ran some sort of tape around the case and put the tape in a analyzer. I was told it was for explosives. The 10 times or so that I've flown with one or more firearms, I had only one problem & that was with a sawed off weasel dick of a TSA agent in El Paso. That's a whole 'nuther story.....TSA locks are not required, but do what you are comfortable with. Oh yeah...no matter what, stay respectful and calm. I wanted to strangle that little TSA son of bustard in El Paso....but, that's a 'nuther story.....

Just general comments/tips

Every airport does their process a little different. The process is usually established by TSA, not your specific airline. In some airports you check your case at the ticket counter and they put it on the belt like normal. Your case, gets inspected by TSA in the back. In these airports it's good to hang out for 10-20 minutes BEFORE you go through security in case they call you back because they need accesss.

In other airports after you go to the ticket counter, they will have you walk your case over to special TSA agent and they'll check your case with you there. I like these airports better because you can head to security immediately after clearing the (first) TSA check. But either way plan on arriving a bit early and allowing yourself enough time for this process.

On the other end, more and more airports are holding your bag with the agent at the oversized luggage counter. But I still find my case on the carousel sometimes. Don't freak out until you've checked both places.

Some airports are also zip tying your case closed. If you are intending to arm up immediately after you get your case, you'll want to have a plan for dealing with those zip ties. Note that EMT shears are technically legal to carry on board. TSA's site even says so. And they're fairly cheap if you get a TSA agent who doesn't know their own policy and wants to take them.

My preferred travel case is a Pelican 1615 Air Case. This serves as BOTH my gun case and my suitcase. I do NOT put the gun in a smaller case inside the larger Pelican. Because in this manner, I get to lock my entire contents with my own, real padlocks. I'm also generally not a fan of a smaller case inside a larger case. That smaller case MAY provide a very easy item for thieves to grab and stash. If you go with a smaller case inside your bag, try to cable lock it somehow to the bag itself.

It should be noted that Pelican cases (and any similar hard case) are attractive targets themselves for thieves, because there are usually expensive things in them. So choose your poison. But my general advice is don't take anything that you're not ok with losing in case it gets stolen or the airlines lose it. And make sure it's insured in case it does go missing.

Nowadays they also have GPS trackers you can buy and I've been meaning to pick one up but haven't gotten around to it yet. But it's probably worth throwing one in your bag if you have one.

It's not a bad idea to print out a copy of both he airlines travel policy on guns and the TSA's policy. But the only time I've had any issues, however, is from a new airline employee. He didn't know it was legal to check a gun. The look on his face was priceless. But there was a senior agent next to him who helped out.

This is probably obvious but do not announce to the agent, "I have a gun." The phrase, "I'm traveling with a firearm today," or "I need to check a firearm" is a better choice of words.

The whole "TSA Lock" thing is interesting...to me at least. Federal law says that only you are supposed to have the key. TSA's site USED to align with this. But a couple years ago TSA updated their site and changed it to "TSA Locks are ok." I'd love to know the background on this and if they actually talked to anyone on it...and who.

The bottom line, however, is that it perfectly appropriate and legal for you to use your own locks...so that's the way I go on it. I don't want anyone in my case without me there. Period. They can obviously cut off anything but if they do, it's on them. YMMV.

Airlines seem to get a bit uptight about ammo storage. So make sure your ammo is absolutely secure. The factory box that it comes in is fine. You may wish to tape the corners a bit to add strength since stuff can get bashed around during travel. And if you're carrying loaded mags, those obviously CAN'T be in the gun and there needs to be a secure container that goes around the entire mag.

Make absolutely sure there is nothing of concern in your carry on luggage...like the odd stray round of ammo, etc.

Lastly, be polite and professional. Not that you wouldn't. TSA, however, is not known for hiring the sharpest tools in the shed. But they can add a lot of misery to your life if you get on the wrong side of them. Much like a police officer, the time for arguing is not on the side of the road...or in the security line. You can always file complaints and escalate things AFTER.

Question;
I will be flying with just a carry on luggage and a carry on small backpack. Was going to check in my pistol hard case only. Should I put the hardcase inside a checked piece of luggage or will it be OK by itself?

View attachment 687992
I would never send it through like that. Theft of the stuff from the people working there is the real problem. Back when they first started this crap (pre TSA) they used to put a sicker on the bag. It came to be known as the "steal me" sticker. As it told the people it was a gun. They finally pulled their head out and did away with this. So the best thing to do is buy a case that you can put the gun case in. No point in sending a sign through saying steal me.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews