JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
JUST SO WE ARE CLEAR I DO NOT SUPPORT RED FLAG LAWS PERIOD.
please make sure you READ the article that I am linking and referencing the guy in question is a felon who had commited crimes of violence with guns.

Now holster your keyboards and make it safe, let it hang.
That should help the knee jerk reaction bait posting of the title/header readers only coming in hot.

First person charged under Florida 'red flag' law found guilty
Florida - WTF is up with Broward?

google will show more results but the big take away here is: Don't do stupid things with guns.

Smith owned an AR-15 rifle and a .22-caliber rifle which Broward deputies seized after his arrest in March 2018 on charges of firing six shots at a vehicle being driven by his best friend, according to reports.

Smith is facing trial on an attempted murder charge in connection with that incident. He was accused of firing at his friend with a Glock handgun that deputies also took, according to reports.

At the time Smith's guns were seized, a local TV station, citing a neighbor, reported that Smith was an Army veteran.

"He spent a lot of money for his weaponry," the neighbor, Lorenzo Brown, told WPLG-TV. "It's crazy. You just got to live around here to know what's going on."
- No i'd really rather not live in Broward period.

A sentencing date has not been set.

The Florida Sun-Sentinel reported that the jury returned a verdict after less than an hour of deliberations.

Last Edited:
If the guy was popping rounds off at someone, and it wasn't in defense of life and limb of himself or someone else..... yeah, methinks he needed apprehended and his kit confiscated.

You don't need a "red flag" law for that, he already (allegedly) acted, therefore the police had cause to scoop up him and his kit.... THAT'S due process.

Exactly. Like saying he is under arrest AND we're taking him to jail.

No need for Red Flag if he was arrested for attempted murder. I know it's Florida, but most places if you are on bail/bond don't allow you to have guns.

Yup, sounds like it's it's a good old fashioned felony. But given the lack of details in the article, a lot of unanswered questions remain. At least the author was able to insinuate that red flags work.

I don't like the red flag connection.

He did wrong and he was busted for it.

... - a favorite of mass shooters. ...

"... had built up an arsenal of weaponry including a glock handgun, a .22 caliber rifle and an AR-15 assault rifle - a favorite of mass shooters. "

Sounds like the perfect propaganda story for BS red flag laws.

see how good they work, see how much we need them?

they fail to mention this guy committed a felony and they would confiscate his guns and arrest him anyway

You know the perfect way to introduce red flag laws?
Send out the troops to every gang member, drug pusher, and homeless camp to confiscate their guns. Most stolen or illegally obtained.
but of course they won't do that. That would be racist.

So you support red flag laws?o_O
No I don't.

I also don't support irresponsible people owning guns who have a short fuse and like using friends as target practice.

I also don't support the media attaching a red flag to this even though violent crimes already result in weapon confiscation.

I also do not know why Broward is a bubblegum backwards county in Florida. Is it something in the water or?

I am pretty fair on the 2A for all even felons who've done their time and paid their dues, like first time offenders and the non violent. This guy however is not that type.

I also do not know why Broward is a bubblegum backwards county in Florida. Is it something in the water or?

3innol.jpg

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/arti...leads-to-chase-with-stolen-ups-truck-shootout

So how is this considered "red flagged"? :rolleyes:

It appears to me, from the article, that Mr. Perp was charged with a felony and required to surrender weapons under the new Red Flag Law as opposed to weapons being seized for any other reason due to the felony charge (evidence collection?).

Mr. Perp didn't relinquish his firearms and is now serving time due to breaking the Red Flag law and being convicted.

The original felony charge does not appear to have even gone to trial yet. It's quite possible he gets convicted for that in the future.

-----

Without the Red Flag law, this guy should have been able to hold onto his weapons up until the point that he was convicted. The Red Flag law changed this to where he was required to surrender them prior to any conviction for any other crime.

I'm honestly very torn on Red Flags. Any system that allows for the confiscation of property without due process will eventually be ripe with abuse. Even in this case, the man is accused of a crime but has yet to be convicted. Imagine if they accused you and it was simply wrong place, wrong time for you?

At the same time, I have a good friend who is going through a very rocky divorce situation with an abusive partner - to the point that his command issued an MPO. He could just as easily kill her with his hands as a gun...but I'm still happy that he doesn't have access to weapons at home at this point in time.

I don't think we'll ever have a blanket solution though.

... - a favorite of mass shooters. ...

"... had built up an arsenal of weaponry including a glock handgun, a .22 caliber rifle and an AR-15 assault rifle - a favorite of mass shooters. "

what a garbage article.

I had a quadraginti-arsenal compared to this guy.

No I don't.

I also don't support irresponsible people owning guns who have a short fuse and like using friends as target practice.

I also don't support the media attaching a red flag to this even though violent crimes already result in weapon confiscation.

I am pretty fair on the 2A for all even felons who've done their time and paid their dues, like first time offenders and the non violent. This guy however is not that type.
Maybe you could have stated that in your op.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top