JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Union Leader 12-31-18
Rifles found to be less lethal than handguns in mass shootings

"(Reuters Health) - In public mass shootings in the U.S., victims shot with a handgun were more likely to die than in the events associated with a rifle, according to a new study in the Journal of the American College of Surgeons.

Sarani and colleagues analyzed autopsies from 23 mass shootings from FBI records in 2000-2016 to understand where victims were shot, how many times they were shot, the organs that were hit, the firearm type and if any injuries or deaths were preventable. Of the 232 victims whose bodies were autopsied, 73 were shot with handguns, 105 by rifles, 22 by shotguns and 32 by multiple firearms.

The research team found that events with a handgun were associated with a higher percentage of people killed, whereas events involving a rifle were associated with more people shot. About 26 percent of those shot with a handgun had more than one fatal wound, versus two percent of people shot with a rifle. Handguns were also more likely to be associated with brain and heart injuries."

Well boys they are gearing up for the hand guns now because they have already declared the rifles as evil.

Edit: sorry forgot link
Rifles found to be less lethal than handguns in mass shootings

Last Edited:
Well as others have surely noticed...the headline is truly stupid...Just what the Hell is "less lethal"...?
Dead is dead...one can not be more dead or less dead .
( Yes I know according to Miracle Max , one can be mostly dead...:D )

I'm inclined to go with Medic's idea of the shooters proximity to the victims ...its helpful to making hits with a handgun if you are close..and it takes some skill to use a rifle at distance...Did anyone in this "study" compare the shooting distance with firearm type...?
Andy

Just a weird thought, but I wonder if the Las Vegas shooter skewed the results somewhat with his "spray the crowd" technique? There were a lot of wounded there.

:s0092:

More twisted truth, handguns kill more people because they are used more often, not because rifles are less lethal. F'n retards.
On the other hand, of all the school mass shootings the worst with more fatalities than injuries was done by handguns.

Not that it matters, lethal is lethal regardless. Even less than lethal weapons (tasers as an example) is lethal at times.

Again it's in the messaging of focusing on guns. We are supposed to believe the most Americans killed in a mass attack was Las Vegas. Discounts 911 and Oklahoma. Add in a few vehicular attacks and in "modern" times we have some serious numbers of dead Americans.

Maybe U-haul renters and farming products need background checks and waiting periods. Too soon? Sorry, just getting rid of some final 2018 thoughts. Last post of the year.

Nah guns are totally bad and need to be banned.

Totally not saying that so I can use the opportunity to make my own version of a mafia that only gains power because of prohibition. Nope, organized crime would not at all come about cause of prohibition. Hell, just look at the prohibition for proof. Totally didn't give the mafia an opening to become a form of powerful organized crime at all. :rolleyes:

More twisted truth, handguns kill more people because they are used more often, not because rifles are less lethal. F'n retards.

That is true in shootings in general, maybe true for mass shootings too, but there are a LOT more 'general' shootings and that makes a difference with statistics. Not sure of how they 'studied' mass shootings (I will leave that up to more knowledgable people with experience rebutting these 'studies') but in general, the larger the sample population the more valid the statistic - especially with regards to mass shootings that are much smaller in number of the shooters. All kinds of reasons why a few shooters with rifles might be less lethal (if true) than ones with handguns.

Well, maybe its just me but...............

The scuttlebutt on some of the new writings about new legislation is "anything that can hold more than 5 rounds." Skipping right to it that seems like ALL mag fed pistols and revolvers leaving only hunting rifles and shotguns. Mark my words if that passes the very next thing is going to be "Hunting rifles more deadly that originally calculated, killers at over 500 yards !!!!!!!!!"

From the article.

"With public mass shootings rapidly on the rise, we wanted to know the reasons why people die and if any aspect is preventable," said lead study author Dr. Babak Sarani of the George Washington University Center for Trauma and Critical Care in Washington, D.C.

Gun free zones.
These people are Doctors?

Last Edited:
From the article:

"With public mass shootings rapidly on the rise, we wanted to know the reasons why people die and if any aspect is preventable,"
Typically they die because their heart stops beating and the brain ceases to function. o_O

I'm no medic or doctor though so I could be wrong.

No matter what the gun is...be it one of my flintlocks or the latest in AR designs...any gun will end up someone's :
"You must not own" list.

It is far easier to disarm the non-criminal , than the criminal...Buy making everything around or about firearms restricted , banned , requiring a certification , permit or just too damn expensive or hard to get a hold of..is a simple and effective way in making the 2nd Amendment virtually useless.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads