JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Breaking into shotshell reloading and bullet/pro. Casting, I already have all the gear I need and several loads but I'm curious if anyone has ever tried to make more professional cut shell or "wax" slugs with flex seal?
I would of course scrap one and measure the weight of load, fill it with seal then re weight it to figure out how much shot to remove to keep the weight the same as factory load and then dissect a few to see if the wad is gluing to the hull at all.
But figured I'd ask first. I have a box of actual breaching shells and man alive they are expensive, it would be awesome to figure out a way to make them on the cheap I have a can of flex seal someone gave me to mess around with so virtually cost is next to nothing.
I never wanted to use wax due to the melting hazard.

Breaking into shotshell reloading and bullet/pro. Casting, I already have all the gear I need and several loads but I'm curious if anyone has ever tried to make more professional cut shell or "wax" slugs with flex seal?
I would of course scrap one and measure the weight of load, fill it with seal then re weight it to figure out how much shot to remove to keep the weight the same as factory load and then dissect a few to see if the wad is gluing to the hull at all.
But figured I'd ask first. I have a box of actual breaching shells and man alive they are expensive, it would be awesome to figure out a way to make them on the cheap I have a can of flex seal someone gave me to mess around with so virtually cost is next to nothing.
I never wanted to use wax due to the melting hazard.
Watch taofladermous on U tube. They have shot everything u can think of (including several types of flex seal loads) plus 100 things you haven't thought of.

If flammability concern wasn't in the equation u could always use a hesh slug. :p

F6F19BEA-535C-4906-A700-8E9B3C8D4434.png
63853522-5897-4682-BE5B-BB866B5DD1FB.png

Last Edited:
I'm curious how much pressure difference there is between my 300 gr sabot'd rifled barrel slugs @ 1600 fps give or take, and regular cylinder bore target load birdshot.
Not that it really matters pertaining to the question at hand, but I guess I could chrono some slugs of the same weight and chrono some of the flex seal slugs granted they stay together long enough for the radar.

I'm curious how much pressure difference there is between my 300 gr sabot'd rifled barrel slugs @ 1600 fps give or take, and regular cylinder bore target load birdshot.
Not that it really matters pertaining to the question at hand, but I guess I could chrono some slugs of the same weight and chrono some of the flex seal slugs granted they stay together long enough for the radar.
Shotshell loading convention is to use actual published data. The whole payload including propellant weight is paramount.

Shotshell loading convention is to use actual published data. The whole payload including propellant weight is paramount.
Yeah it kinda sucks. There's obviously some wiggle room, but who wants to dance with the devil?
I need the ballistics products load books, but I wish there was more unstandardized load data. I think it was precision reloading used to do professional *testing for your random shotshell hand loads to verify safety/pressures. It kinda bugs me in the Lyman? Manual that they have such few primer/hull combo's to go buy. Makes reloading almost impossible in times like these. I do have Winchester and cx2000 cheddite's by the thousand and then a 100 CCI and maybe one other. So I'm hoping I can kinda compare somewhat and load down a bit for safety. Shotshell reloading is kinda a PITA grey area. Sucks 'cuase I'd really like to Capt. Kirk this field of knowledge.

Last Edited:
I'm curious why you even feel the need to need breaching rounds.
I'm curious why you feel you don't? Lol, I don't NEED them, I want them just because.. I already have some factory ones and they aren't cheap. If I can make them for next to no cost at all why not?

Well I finally re watched the taofladermous video with this and idk if he took the longer one down but i only found one really. Anyway I tinkered with the flex seal slug mods a tad.
Seems they will work but its a pita my first one leaked liquid seal all the way into the powder so of course it won't be straight forward. It also "glued" itself pretty well the the plastic hull. I was hoping it wouldn't adhere much if at all. Not my luck though. Curious about mylar next. Also takes longer than 10 days to dry.

It should obstruct as long as its contained in the hull its pretty flexible/spongy. Idk I might want to put some buffer in the mix as well though and lighten the payload.
I should check my follower stash I probably have a shorter was base with big enough cup. I'll try and upload pics later I gotta run ATM.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews