JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It Begins: Florida Resident's Firearms, Ammunition Confiscated Under Gun Control Law | Breitbart

Republican Governor Scott Signed the Law

"four firearms and 267 rounds of ammunition" were taken from the man,
"taken to a hospital for involuntary psychiatric treatment."

"he has no prior history of arrests in Florida"

"the man turned off the main electrical breakers to the condo building"

"...this is a commonsense gun law that gives police officers new tools they need to help us protect our community." --Lighthouse Point Mayor Glenn Troast.

Police seize first firearms under Florida's new gun-control laws

"On Friday, a Broward County judge issued the state's first order temporarily removing guns from a person under new gun control laws."

"The South Florida Sun Sentinel is not identifying the man because of his medical condition."

Yes, Gun Confiscation Just Happened in Florida, and it Will Happen Nationwide

It's sad to watch the Republican Party rot from the top down.

They would have never voted against the NRA in the past. But after Trump openly criticized them on live TV for "being scared of the NRA", we're seeing a complete 180 degree flip.

This 'Awesome Dude' Lost His Gun Rights by Saying Stupid Stuff on Reddit

Because he said three stupid, deliberately offensive things about mass shootings on Reddit, Chris Velasquez became an early target of a new Florida law authorizing "risk protection orders" (RPOs) that bar people from buying or possessing guns. Last month, based on a police affidavit that falsely portrayed Velasquez as a ticking time bomb who had threatened to attack schools, a judge issued a temporary RPO against him. Yesterday, after taking a closer look at the evidence, the same judge declined to extend the RPO for a year.

What. Same Judge. "Closer Look" W T F you are changing a persons whole life, why wouldn't the police, prosecutor and Judge examine carefully, fully, all of the evidence before making any ruling.

If it saves one life, is it OK to ruin many peoples lives?

What!? The F.B.I. didn't get involved? Maybe this is a real one! I have no problem with loonies being taken off the streets. I do have a problem with new laws being used where existing laws will work. The story (I didn't say news story because it didn't meet the standard) didn't give enough details where I saw an immediate threat.

Just a reminder, the Internet is a great place to incriminate yourself. Everything you said since 1991 will be dragged into court because the DA can't handle a loss, plus it's only tax money. What do they care?

Orlando man who police say wanted to commit mass shooting barred from having weapons under new law

UCF police got involved after receiving several calls from students reporting Velasquez'

Once UCF police linked the posts to Velasquez,

"The Real UCF Chris,"

"Velasquez's home, where the father voluntarily turned over his firearm, a Taurus "UltraLite" revolver"
so they confiscated his father's firearm, not his.

If he was taken to a hospital for involuntary treatment, why did his guns have to be confiscated? I'm sure guns are not allowed in the in-patient portion of the hospital.

If you are admitted involuntarily, that means two physicians and a judge decided you were note safe.

This is question "11f" on the 4473 form. He will never be allowed to own or purchase firearms "Have you ever been adjudicated as mentally defective."

This question must come up. If they were has fathers firearms and the father nor the son committed any crimes, can the father ever get his guns back? No compensation?

If you are admitted involuntarily, that means two physicians and a judge decided you were note safe.

This is question "11f" on the 4473 form. He will never be allowed to own or purchase firearms "Have you ever been adjudicated as mentally defective."

How does one "undo" the prohibition for guns once cured or no longer "mentally defective"?

How does one "undo" the prohibition for guns once cured or no longer "mentally defective"?

you dont, unless you move to a state that is lapse at reporting mentally adjudicated people to NICS.

If it was a mistake, you can get a lawyer to have the record removed. But other than that it is treated like a felony on your record

If my patients need to go into the hospital for mental health reasons, I tell them to stay voluntarily, not to refuse. If they volunteer to stay when the physician asks, then nothing legally goes on the record

you dont, unless you move to a state that is lapse at reporting mentally adjudicated people to NICS.

If it was a mistake, you can get a lawyer to have the record removed. But other than that it is treated like a felony on your record

If my patients need to go into the hospital for mental health reasons, I tell them to stay voluntarily, not to refuse. If they volunteer to stay when the physician asks, then nothing legally goes on the record
Not 100% true here in Oregon. You can be held involuntarily by a hospital hold. Contrary to popular assumption these are not 72 hour, but up to 5 business days. During this time you are involuntary. However, this is NOT a commitment. No judge will have seen you. Within five business days a county investigator will meet with the patient. They can drop the hold, or continue the hold, or allow a 14 day diversion or move for commitment. Commitments go before a judge. Generally, most counties I am aware of do not push for commitment on the first few times unless it was a particularly egregious reason. Several of the court investigators I know say 5xs.

But most involuntary patients are brought in on a police officer hold, see the mental health social worker, an er doc or 2 and get put on a hold. Usually on the 2nd or 3rd business day the court investigator drops the hold. This is time one is involuntary, but not committed. The judge comes in pretty late in the game.

I am unsure if 14 day diversions get reported to NICS. Technically they are voluntary, but only sort of in reality and asking investigators, I have gotten mixed responses.

I do not mean to bust anybody's chops at all, but this is one area where I also fear each state is different. I deal with this stuff 3 days a week for 12 hours a day.

Last Edited:
Not 100% true here in Oregon. You can be held involuntarily by a hospital hold. Contrary to popular assumption these are not 72 hour, but up to 5 business days. During this time you are involuntary. However, this is NOT a commitment. Within five business days a county investigator will meet with the patient. They can drop the hold, or continue the hold, or allow a 14 day diversion or move for commitment. Commitments go before a judge. Generally, most counties I am aware of do not push for commitment on the first few times unless it was a particularly egregious reason. Several of the court investigators I know say 5xs.

But most involuntary patients are brought in on a police officer hold, see the mental health social worker, an er doc or 2 and get put on a hold. Usually on the 2nd or 3rd business day the court investigator drops the hold. This is time one is involuntary, but not committed. The judge comes in pretty late in the game.

Thanks, perhaps it has changed since I was a resident doing admission physicals on the psych floor. It has been a while.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews