JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Sako M995 in .338 WM. The stock cracked right at the wrist section. It was not a deep crack, and since Sako was not much help (denying any problem with the stock, though this model does this frequently, I found) I decided to just fix it and be done.

So I spent about 2 hours with a utility knife, a drill and some acra-glass, and fixed my cracked stock. I opened up the crack line, and under cut the edges, for holding power, as well as drilling small "pillar holes" at angles from the crack. I then created a cross cut, approx. the same width and depth, and laid a piece of SS rod into it. I then took my hand drill and a bit slightly larger than my rod, and drillled two angled holes, from in front of the crack back into the wrist area, I will push a piece of rod into each one. I then sanded the finish off the stock in the area I wanted the acra-glass to adhere. I mixed my acra-glass, filled my drilled holes with it, then pushed my SS pins into the holes till they were below flush. I then finished the fix with the acra-glass, continually keeping the stuff where I wanted it, till it started to set up. Done some sanding on it, and am going to do a custom (read home done) camo paint job on it, to cover the patch. Here is the pictorial.

The crack is a bit hard to see, but goes across the wrist.
S4200117.jpg

Prep work all done.
crackedstock.jpg

crackedstock1.jpg

crackedstock2.jpg

Acra-glass is setting up nicely and will be sanded down after curing for 24 hours.
crackedstock3.jpg

crackedstock4.jpg

Acra - Glass is a 2 part epoxy that is used for bedding rifles and making repairs in stocks. When using it, anything you do not want to become PERMANENTLY joined together, has to have a release agent on it. It also comes in a gel form, so it does not run.

The playdough took the place of modelers clay for making a dam to keep the acra glass out of the trigger guard and receiver areas. When bedding an action, I actually use it to fill the bolt area of the receiver, and any other areas I want to keep the bedding compound out of at the time.

Acra glass is wonderful stuff, I use it to repair not only gun stocks, such as an old double barrel Parker, and Sako, but a lot of other stuff also. It is permanent just like Huntbear stated.

Well, finally got back to this project. I sanded the stock with 320 wet/dry paper to rough it up some, then taped off the barrel channel and action area. Since the "bottom metal" is part of the stock, I decided to paint it too.

Ready to paint
S4200198.jpg

First coat was a light sand/tan color.
S4200200.jpg
S4200201.jpg

Then using gray, and a couple of fern leaves...
S4200202.jpg
S4200203.jpg
S4200204.jpg

Then using the same fern leaves, and black.
S4200206.jpg
S4200207.jpg
S4200208.jpg

Then a clear coat over everything. My brother spraying so I could take a picture.
S4200209.jpg

Sorry, had to many pics, had to do a second post.

After it was dry,
S4200210.jpg
S4200211.jpg
S4200212.jpg

And the completed job, and gun all reassembled.
S4200228-1.jpg
S4200229.jpg
S4200230.jpg

Total cost is about 35.00 for repair and paint. And I have a camo pattern that actually fits here on the wetside of the Cascade Mtns.

that looks really good for a self repair and paint job.

Well I am not quite an amateur. I have a gunsmithing degree from Colorado School of Trades. Just not using it right now.

There are some issues with the repair, that I obviously did not see before the paint went on, so I may sand it down and fix them, or wait until the paint scratches up from being in the brush, rubbing against a pack and gunbelt, etc... then do the fixes.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews