JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Sako M995 in .338 WM. The stock cracked right at the wrist section. It was not a deep crack, and since Sako was not much help (denying any problem with the stock, though this model does this frequently, I found) I decided to just fix it and be done.

So I spent about 2 hours with a utility knife, a drill and some acra-glass, and fixed my cracked stock. I opened up the crack line, and under cut the edges, for holding power, as well as drilling small "pillar holes" at angles from the crack. I then created a cross cut, approx. the same width and depth, and laid a piece of SS rod into it. I then took my hand drill and a bit slightly larger than my rod, and drillled two angled holes, from in front of the crack back into the wrist area, I will push a piece of rod into each one. I then sanded the finish off the stock in the area I wanted the acra-glass to adhere. I mixed my acra-glass, filled my drilled holes with it, then pushed my SS pins into the holes till they were below flush. I then finished the fix with the acra-glass, continually keeping the stuff where I wanted it, till it started to set up. Done some sanding on it, and am going to do a custom (read home done) camo paint job on it, to cover the patch. Here is the pictorial.

The crack is a bit hard to see, but goes across the wrist.
S4200117.jpg

Prep work all done.
crackedstock.jpg

crackedstock1.jpg

crackedstock2.jpg

Acra-glass is setting up nicely and will be sanded down after curing for 24 hours.
crackedstock3.jpg

crackedstock4.jpg

Acra - Glass is a 2 part epoxy that is used for bedding rifles and making repairs in stocks. When using it, anything you do not want to become PERMANENTLY joined together, has to have a release agent on it. It also comes in a gel form, so it does not run.

The playdough took the place of modelers clay for making a dam to keep the acra glass out of the trigger guard and receiver areas. When bedding an action, I actually use it to fill the bolt area of the receiver, and any other areas I want to keep the bedding compound out of at the time.

Acra glass is wonderful stuff, I use it to repair not only gun stocks, such as an old double barrel Parker, and Sako, but a lot of other stuff also. It is permanent just like Huntbear stated.

Well, finally got back to this project. I sanded the stock with 320 wet/dry paper to rough it up some, then taped off the barrel channel and action area. Since the "bottom metal" is part of the stock, I decided to paint it too.

Ready to paint
S4200198.jpg

First coat was a light sand/tan color.
S4200200.jpg
S4200201.jpg

Then using gray, and a couple of fern leaves...
S4200202.jpg
S4200203.jpg
S4200204.jpg

Then using the same fern leaves, and black.
S4200206.jpg
S4200207.jpg
S4200208.jpg

Then a clear coat over everything. My brother spraying so I could take a picture.
S4200209.jpg

Sorry, had to many pics, had to do a second post.

After it was dry,
S4200210.jpg
S4200211.jpg
S4200212.jpg

And the completed job, and gun all reassembled.
S4200228-1.jpg
S4200229.jpg
S4200230.jpg

Total cost is about 35.00 for repair and paint. And I have a camo pattern that actually fits here on the wetside of the Cascade Mtns.

that looks really good for a self repair and paint job.

Well I am not quite an amateur. I have a gunsmithing degree from Colorado School of Trades. Just not using it right now.

There are some issues with the repair, that I obviously did not see before the paint went on, so I may sand it down and fix them, or wait until the paint scratches up from being in the brush, rubbing against a pack and gunbelt, etc... then do the fixes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top