JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd just use a full-size 9mm handgun like a steel CZ whatever.. specialty ammo exists that'll do about anything.. including defeating quite serious body armor. You can always shoot them in the face though.. like a normal person.
Oh and didn't read but probably someone said ".22 magnum!". Yea right. Out of a handgun it's essentially a .22 lr.. out of a handgun. So fail.
Use a, and be happy with a, 9mm.. handgun.

Got a PS90 today, so I guess now I am committed to get a Five Seven to go with it - right?

I will try it out. The cartridge is a dinky little thing. Five hundred rounds don't weigh too much more than a brick of .22 LR.

We'll see how it goes

The main advantages for the rifle, that I see, are weight (it is three pounds lighter than the rifle she shoots now and the ammo is much lighter too), balance of the rifle and recoil.

I am not sure about the ergos of either the rifle or pistol, especially the pistol, but if it doesn't work out I can always sell them.

Last Edited:
The trigger is better too.

If it ever stops raining long enough so that I don't have to go slogging through mud, I'll go out and give it a try, but I think this will grow on me.

Not that I will get rid of the heavier rifles I have, but I think this will be good for her, and I think it would be one of several choices I would select for a GHB, along with the pistol.

So far, the more I explore the PS90, the more I like it.

Take down into halfsies is quick, and you wind up with two pieces that will fit into a container 16" x 10" x 2" with two loaded 50 round mags weighing 6 pounds. Reassembly is relatively quick too.

Now I need to find, make or have made, a "bag" that will contain the rifle without it rattling, taken down with mags and ammo, that will strap to my GHB.

One note: The actual barrel length is approx. 13"; the flash hider, which uses a blind pin to attach itself to the shroud, adds another three inches of legal length to it - just barely.

This is not one of those rifles where the manufacturer added another half inch to anything. At best the full length is 26.1" and the barrel length is at best 16.1", if that.

So far, the more I explore the PS90, the more I like it.

Take down into halfsies is quick, and you wind up with two pieces that will fit into a container 16" x 10" x 2" with two loaded 50 round mags weighing 6 pounds. Reassembly is relatively quick too.

Now I need to find, make or have made, a "bag" that will contain the rifle without it rattling, taken down with mags and ammo, that will strap to my GHB.

Dang! I'd like to have one of those baby's! Pretty expensive though!:(
For what it is, kind of expensive. Less expensive than a Tavor or AUG or most other bullpups.

The eventual recipient liked it, but we haven't shot it yet. I think we'll like it. I need to find the most effective self-defense ammo for it (that I can buy - the LE/Military ammo is probably the most effective, but is "restricted" and from what I can tell is very expensive because of its scarcity on the civilian market - which sucks).

For what it is, kind of expensive. Less expensive than a Tavor or AUG or most other bullpups.

The eventual recipient liked it, but we haven't shot it yet. I think we'll like it. I need to find the most effective self-defense ammo for it (that I can buy - the LE/Military ammo is probably the most effective, but is "restricted" and from what I can tell is very expensive because of its scarcity on the civilian market - which sucks).
I run across ss190 pulled projo's here and there, if you reload.....this is one hard little cartridge to reload

I don't think I've said this in here but if so,y'all know I have a bad memory
To me the 5.7 is a 22mag that feeds good in a semi auto gun,that is centerfire.Otherwise the ballistics aren't MUCH greater.That being said I think the 22mag is a 'good' self defense round in the right gun and hands.A ex police friend had a huge partner killed with 1 shot from 22mag
Anyway as Hickock 45 showed the FN is accurate out to,I think those round steels are 60 yards?
But I wouldn't rely on it at that distance.It can't have that much energy out there
The other big advantage is the 50 round mag,that you may need to stop the threat
JMHO

SIGH! Just going by the $1,400 price tag mentioned in the video it would take about eight months to buy one on my shooting budget. That includes, no ammo, gear or accessories, club fees, etc for the duration! Sure would like one though.

I don't think I've said this in here but if so,y'all know I have a bad memory
To me the 5.7 is a 22mag that feeds good in a semi auto gun,that is centerfire.Otherwise the ballistics aren't MUCH greater.That being said I think the 22mag is a 'good' self defense round in the right gun and hands.A ex police friend had a huge partner killed with 1 shot from 22mag
JMHO

Theoretically the WMR velocity is somewhat similar in the same length barrels to the 5.7x28, but in the real world, the numbers are not the same in the same length barrels.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/11/23/myth-busting-22-magnum-vs-5-7x28mm/

As for range, this is a personal defense weapon - not a weapon meant for going out and engaging enemies at distance. This is for those times when you need something to defend yourself, not for attacking someone at distance. I would think it would be fine out to 100 meters or more for defense. I kind of doubt I would need to or want to engage someone at longer distances if I was just trying to get home, or if I was carrying it around my home property while doing chores after the SHTF.

This is not a primary weapon for everybody - the person this is for will not be a front line defender or someone that goes out on patrols - this is for a person who has a health problem that makes it difficult for them to carry and shoot heavier weapons in more powerful chamberings. I will retain other firearms we have that are chambered for much more powerful cartridges.

The 5.7x28 isn't for everybody. YMMV

As for ammo cost.

I just order 1000 rounds of American Eagle 40 gr FMJ from PSA for $295 including shipping - or about 30 cents per round. This will be my practice ammo.

That is less than 7.62x39 American Eagle FMJ which goes for about 45 cents a round if you shop hard for it.

You can get cheap Russian 7.62x39 FMJ ammo for about 25 cents per round - usually with steel cases and so on. I wouldn't shoot anything made in Russia or China, et. al., in a PS90, but compared to this kind of ammo, the 5.7 FMJ Federal ammo is only about 17% more expensive, and you get a reloadable case (I would not reload for the PS90 or Five Seven, but I could reload it for a T/C Contender).

I also bought 500 rounds of FN SS197SR (40 gr. VMax) for 35 cents per round including shipping.

But but that's 30 caliber ammo not 22 caliber ammo.
Just sayin':D
Agreed - the components will surely cost more. More brass, more powder, a more expensive bullet.

However, you'd think from what everybody says, that 5.7x28 ammo is made from gold and as hard to find, and that shooting the PS90 or Five Seven will bankrupt you.

It isn't cheap, but shot for shot, a thousand rounds of practice 5.7 ammo is not that expensive if you shop around for it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top