JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm guessing that this persons health/strength issues might preclude doing a lot of training/practice at clearing jams. So, you're probably right about the no rim fire opinion!

I'm guessing that this persons health/strength issues might preclude doing a lot of training/practice at clearing jams. So, you're probably right about the no rim fire opinion!
Probably.

This person has problems with hand grip strength and control, so racking a slide is an issue. Hell, I have problems racking the slide on several on my rimfire pistols - especially the Buckmark.

Probably.

This person has problems with hand grip strength and control, so racking a slide is an issue. Hell, I have problems racking the slide on several on my rimfire pistols - especially the Buckmark.

My mom has Fibro My..., Bell's palsy, plus a bunch more that spell check will not find.

She shoots my Walther P22 with relative competency - just nothing else I own). Racks super easy, the mag release is on the trigger guard making it easier to operate. Put mini-mags in it and I've never had an issue.

IF that's too much... May want to consider an alternative to a firearm. No hand control or strength and can't handle a failed sounds like a set up for failure when she needs it.

For racking a slide, there are items which can be added if needed.

something along these lines (you do have to include a Disney Princess)

TacRack-Glock-Slide-Racking-Aid.jpg

Taurus-TCP-2015.jpg

My mom would not have the finger strength to even pull a moderately stiff slide with either of those mods.

My P22 (not that it's the end all, just my only personal example) could be racked with one broken pinky as is.

I do not know but I'd guess there are spring mods for many guns.

What about a wheel gun? Or 2 . Speed loaders work well with a little practice.

I would love to have a 5.7, but I really can't get interested in it for SHTF, due to the logistics issue of ammo availability in the long run, which i think is paramount. I would look into low-recoil calibers that are more available.

How about a bull pup 5.56 - like a Tavor? If you want interoperability - the Tavor can be had for what I've seen PS90's going for - and it's a better gun with better caliber and ergonomics IMO. Do the trigger job to reduce pull weight - you have a fairly light rifle with good ergonomics, readily available caliber, standard M4/AR15 magazines, use any sights/optics you want on it...

AS for the pistol, since pistols are secondary to rifles in a SHTF - you could go the FN 5.7 - or you could go with a .22 mag revolver, a .380 double stack like the Beretta 86. If they can handle the 9x19 still -maybe a pistol easier to manipulate like the Walther PPC - that had a very easily manipulated slide and easy to use controls in a compact single stack 9 that they could conceal if needed. I doubt his pistol being compatable with the rest of you matters as much maybe as a rifle.

Of course there's always the .22 routes for rifles and pistols - maybe semi auto isn't necessary or desirable for this individual in the long run? A bolt action .22 mag like a Ruger American is pretty dang light, the bolt is easily manipulated, and the .22 mag is about as potent as a 5.7 - probably moreso from the American's longer barrel. IIRC you can shoot .22lr from it if need be.

5.56x45 is not that much better than 7.62x39 in recoil IMO, and the Tavor is not that much lighter than the bullpups we currently have (each of us have the same model/caliber bullpup rifle).

I did think about the Tavor for a while until the DT MDR was announced, and now I am thinking of getting one and trying it out.

If that works, then getting one for each of us also, since the MDR is much more accurate and it allows switching calibers. But it is heavier than the current bullpup we use.

I have 5.56 and 7.62x51 rifles too. I have the common military cartridges covered.

I was just thinking that for this particular person something lighter with less recoil would be good - especially down the road as the condition worsens (assuming it does - I hope it doesn't). I may also be thinking of getting one, having the barrel cut and pinning/soldering a suppressor to it to make it legal length, then using that as my rifle for a GHB.

The chance that we would ever actually need to use any of these firearms is pretty slim - the zombie apocalypse is way down my list of probabilities, but I am thinking forward and I am always looking for an excuse to buy another gun. :D

It depends on the overall situation .... if you go with the the FN Five-seven then you better stock up on ammo now cause it is hard to find and expensive, and the supply might dry up completely. That case is almost impossible to reload, and getting parts for the platform might be real difficult. You will be better off with a platform and cartridge that is widely available and supported today. 22 mag is a good round even for CQB it your person is capable of precise shot placement. If the person is NOT capable of precise shot placement, then I question providing that person with a pistol-rifle firearm in the first place. Or any firearm at all. In between that, a 20g light weight tactical or SxS shotgun might be best.

Having shot both a FiveSeven and PS-90 a good deal (several thousand rounds). They both are solid platforms.

The FiveSeven is a full size pistol with a 20 round magazines (30 with extended mag). It is light weight and has low recoil. The slide spring is also not a bear to charge. Add nice fat grips on the side also help with charging the slide.

Ammo availability, has gotten better in the past few years. You can now get it not only from FN but from American Eagle. While it isn't the cheapest ammo out there, the price has actually not risen as much as other ammo prices. Purchasing in bulk (practice and use) will save you even more.

FYI, the whole 22 magnum being the same as a 5.7x28mm is BS.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/11/23/myth-busting-22-magnum-vs-5-7x28mm/

My friend loves his PS90, he did the form 1 and threw a .556 can on it. Ammo is also very easy to get and the SS197 (but tips) can be had for $17-$20 for a box of 50 online all day long. Ammo availability does not seem to be an issue unless you are looking for the harder hitting stuff from Elite Ammunition.

I like it so much that I think I'm finally off the fence and will be grabbing one in the next few days for my GHB. Here's what I consider a well written article on the PS90 for the OP.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-ps90/6...ut-aren-t-sure-here-my-thoughts-platform.html

Ever consider the 30 cal carbine?
If racking the slide is an issue along with recoil perhaps a lever 94 in .357/38 special?
Both are light in weight and recoil.
I never liked the .30 carbine.

My dad had one and IMO the recoil was about the same as an AR in 5.56 which in my opinion is a lot more effective, especially with ball ammo, and has much more range.

I am partial to bullpups because they are much easier to handle, they generally balance above the trigger hand and can even be shot one handed. The person in question has bullpup now - we all have the same bullpup in the 7.62x39, but this person has problems due to recoil and the current rifle is heavier than the PS90. Also, this person has problems with recoil in the 9mm handgun.

Add to that, the health problems make it difficult for this person to walk any distance, so something lighter would help in that regard if this person has to bug out.

Maybe an option to consider is a Kel-Tec Sub 2000. I have one for the Glock 19 mag (which of course means I can interchange mags with my G19 but it also takes the 17 and 33 round mags). It has no recoil and would be a good fit if your relative carries a Glock handgun. My Sub2k folded is super easy to fit in a go pack and light. Just another thought :)

I carried the FN5.7 for a couple years, put a few thousand down the pipe.
Not a bad gun. Accurate, very low recoil easy point and shoot pistol. Pleasure to shoot with a can. Reliable after the first 1k rounds or so. Needs to loosen up like many autos. Slide is quite stiff at first, again it loosens up with use.

I'd consider it a full sized pistol. Not easy to conceal effectively.
It's larger than the SigP226, closer to a fat grip 1911.
Even though it's primarily polymer its a heavy gun. Holds 20+ rounds and has a thick forged barrel. 30 rd mags are only 1.5" longer and holster well. Mine's threaded so it may be a little heavier than the civilian version.
If you carry 2 spare mags like many us do your looking at 5lbs lbs of carry weight.

Side holstered on a big wide leather belt it's nothing, if you're trying to be discreet about it and carry in your waistband I'd look for a smaller gun.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned rim fire pistols jam a lot.
I have to agree, many do. Especially when new.

BUT....
Have a look at the Ruger SR-22 before you throw them all out as an option.
Bought one about a year ago and it sings. I haven't had any stovepipe or jamming with it whatsoever. High velocity, standard, copper plated, even crappy old Blazers and subsonic cycle the slide just fine.
Pretty amazing little backup pistol. Simple, reliable design with a nice heavy stainless threaded barrel.

I love my PS-90. It's a blow back action [ Barrel moves back with bolt about 1/8'' to delay action] so very reliable. And early guns are......well let's say special.;)

Plus I can carry 2000 rounds of ammo it's so small and light.

But I think of it the same way I do my 30 carbines.
They replace a pistol more than they are a rifle.

The OA-93 is not bad either. Shorter than standard AR pistol since it has no buffer tube.
It pushes a 55 grain 5.56 at about 2250 FPS. And takes standard AR mags. So it's handy in the truck.:D

Last Edited:
Why not a 9mm Tavor?(with a good break), You know how them bullpups are... Even if they are "Heavy" on paper when the weight is up close and sitting with your shoulder the weight almost disappears, Also they are almost shoot them self. I cant believe how easily everyone takes to my AUG.

Shot a FN5.7 for the first tune yesterday. Was expecting more recoil.it was very pleasant to shoot.

Problem is its "all zip". Only time id grab one is if i needed a handgun to go thru body armor.

Fortunately my life plan involves never being in a position where i have to shoot thru someone's body armor.

And being a true Keyboard Ronin of the Emporium, i wouldn't last 2 seconds against a true combatant. Which makes owning one an exercise in futility.

...so i think I'll buy two

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads