Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Five Seven?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by The Heretic, Oct 4, 2015.

1. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I have a family member who has health problems that make shooting anything an issue.

The more recoil and weight, the more of an issue it becomes.

This person has practiced with shooting, but muscle strength and both gross and fine motor control are issues, and they won't get any better - likely worse over time.

Currently, the firearms in use are 7.62x39 and 9x19 for rifle and handgun respectively.

Neither is optimal, but currently they are usable.

I prefer these because the setup I currently have means the three of us all have the same rifle and handgun and ammo.

I have considered getting this one person a rifle and handgun in 5.7x28 instead - primarily because of recoil and weight and size of the rifle would be closer to optimal for this person to use.

Cost is not as much of a factor as usability is. I am aware of the cost and availability of the ammo. As a fallback, we would retain the current rifle/handgun setup in case of ammo availability issues. Partly because of the health issues, training/practice is not ongoing, but this person would not be a front line defender in a SHTF situation.

So I am thinking either a PS90, possibly more than one (maybe an SBR with suppressor for myself) and a Five Seven handgun. Or maybe an AR57 upper for an AR "pistol". I like bullpups better - but I am not sure of the ergos of the PS90.

Thoughts?

Other options?

2. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

22 mag

Joe13 likes this.
  3. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Just for target shooting/fun or defense too?

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Owned a early PS90 and it just wasn't what I wanted. It has lots of good features like 50 rnd mags and optics that work well but just didn't like the caliber. It seemed to me it was designed for close up action. Gun run perfect but accuracy varied as the barrel moved around some. Supressed it would be a good indoor gun but if you needed long range shots the optics and weak cartridge hindered hitting targets.

A short AR that runs well and has a light suppressor like gemtecs entry suppressor would be worth your consideration in 556 caliber. There is blowback to contend with when useing the suppressor but the advantage of noise reduction outweighs having to clean more often. AR have so many advantages in being able to dress the gun for the shooter. Parts are easy to stockpile and most people could work on their own gun. Who would fix your broken PS90?

5. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

my PMR 30 with 30 rounds of 22 mag is fun to shoot, low recoil and everyone who shoots it has a bunch of fun. several 22 mag rifles as well. much less expensive than the 5.7x28 option

AMT and Joe13 like this.
  6. The Heretic

Bear in mind, I am not saying that I would dump the 762x39 rifle.

I am saying that for this one person, who would not be on a frontline defense, the 5.7x28 would seem to me to be something this person could handle better.

The ranges would most likely be under 100 meters, and it would be a last ditch defensive usage. Most probably not for hunting or long range shooting. Since the 762x39 rifle would be retained, and parts/ammo/mags are very common for this rifle, this would be the fallback for this person if the P90 were to fail.

I am just thinking of a rifle that this person would carry on their person in a SHTF situation where they are not a person on the frontline. The P90 was designed as a Personal Defense Weapon for those support persons behind the lines.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  7. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Older PS 90 sights while good they needed to be better and the new guns you put what you want on them. They are a good close range weapon and unless you spend huge amounts of money shooting it I doubt it would fail. I like that the gun spent ammo comes out the bottom. Balance is better than most other bulpups I have tried too.

If you like it and can afford to shoot it the gun is fine for its intended purpose, in my worthless opinion.:D

8. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

Not sure but thinking of the same ammo, a Norinco SKS, maybe tapco the stock and leave a fixed magazine making the operations with same ammo but simple to operate, Plus Tapco makes some nice recoils pads for the kits. I have one of my SKS that basically has no recoil and is fixed very very easy to operate even the safety and bolt action are easy. I mention this because if you have something with 762x39 already this would be an easy and less complicated alternative.

9. The Heretic

Defensive only

10. The Heretic

The current 762x39 rifle has better balance - being a bullpup itself.

Weight is an issue. As I said, muscle strength and muscle control are issues with this person, as is recoil. Another rifle that is as heavy or heavier with the same cartridge would not be an improvement in my opinion. The P90/PS90 would be a pound to 2 pounds lighter when loaded, and for this person, would be an improvement.

11. The Heretic

I intend to get a .22 Mag bolt action rifle for hunting, but rimfires - IMO - are not the best for self-defense due to the fact that they tend to foul the action of a firearm more than centerfire, and most rimfire ammo is not made for self-defense with regards to reliability or projectile design. I am aware there is some .22 mag that is designed for self-defense, but it is still rimfire.

Also, most rimfire firearms are not designed for self-defense - compared to the Five Seven/P90 which is designed specifically for that purpose.

I especially do NOT trust Kel-Tec firearms for that purpose. YMMV

12. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

Its why I suggested the aftermarket Tapco addon one these are very light and only 3" inches more on the barrel then a AK.
    My father in law whom owns a AK was having problems he has an illness and has also lost allot of mass he has an AK its too awkward to put in a magazine and balance that, try and hold and remove a mag as well the SKS being fixed made it easier but his AK is heavier then my SKS with the tapco addon. He was able to use my tapco SKS much easier. But that was our case he is like 5"8" and about 125 now. Last time he tried to use his AK he fell and near broke his leg. Best of luck hope you find what you are looking for.

The Heretic likes this.
  13. The Heretic

For me, weight is an issue in carrying a firearm - I try to go with the lightest firearms for carrying that I can. I am getting old and out of shape. If the Cascadia earthquake hit and I was away from home, and roads are blocked, what I have to carry to home or anywhere I am traveling to, is an issue.

For the person I am thinking of, weight is an issue also if they are walking, as this person can't walk as far as I can (fortunately, this person works much closer to their home, and is much closer to my home than I would be if I were at work). Also, weight is an issue for bringing the rifle into a shooting position - not a big deal for me, I have been shooting for 50 years and I can still shoulder any rifle under ten pounds readily. But this person may have issues, especially when tired. Stress and exertion exacerbate the condition.

A bullpup rifle is much easier and faster to shoulder than a conventional rifle of the same weight.

14. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

10/22 Charger with 25r sticks.

Who cares if rimfire isn't 100% reliable, thats why you train for failures.

I'm making the assumption this person will be with you most likely and not by herself using this gun and that would make for pretty good suppressive fire, no recoil and you could shoot a couple thousand rounds before you had to take the 10 min to clean it. Plus you could always go with a 100 round drum and let her spray n pray.

Just my .02

15. powersbj

powersbj Seattle Area Active Member

In lieu of changing the firearm why not engineer an area they can defend from.

16. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Sks
    SkS mounted on a tripod, behind sand bags...

Go granny go!

:s0014:

17. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My thought is, since you can afford it, go for it. I watched some gun show on tv featuring 5.7 weapons and ammo at an IMI factory range in Israel. I was impressed. Only the price tag keeps me away! Sounds perfect for your relative! Good luck on a solution for your relative and you! SRG

18. powersbj

powersbj Seattle Area Active Member

:p how about behind a reinforced computer desk facing the only way in.

19. The Heretic

This person will not be with me at first, until either the person joins me with their spouse at my BOL (my home here on the mountain), or I join them on their way home.

Once at my home, this would be what this person carries around with them outside the house. So light and small would be a good thing.

20. The Heretic

Because this person needs to get home with their GHB if something bad happens while at work.

Because this person may also have to walk from their home to my home - they live on the edge of suburbia. If something happens, I probably won't be at their home - they may very likely have to start for my home before I can make it to their home.

There are a number of scenarios where lighter weight and lighter recoil work for this person. If they are at my BOL, then they would have their choice of a number of firearms, including the PS90 and Five Seven.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having this combo in my GHB myself.

Sgt Nambu likes this.