JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great points. I am not sure if an indoor range would work, as I don't know how costly this should get. It sounds like a great idea, though. I am thinking the Portland Rifle and Pistol club, as it seems they have a kitchen and meeting room with a fireplace, maybe if I become a member they will donate or rent it out for the day?

Tri-County Gun Club has an indoor .22 range that is open 24 hours. I know there are a lot of TCGC member on this board.

Each member can bring a few guests.

Warm, dry, comfortable. There is even a classroom for orientation.

There won't only be small caliber guns. I will bring a .45acp 1911, but the focus of this event is to introduce new shooters to guns. There will probably be very un gun loving women there, and I am sure that a fully automatic, and to a new shooter uncontrollable gun would freak them out, and turn them off guns completely, which is not what this event is about. I love auto guns, and if this was a shoot for us on the forum, I would be all about that. But this shoot is to introduce new shooters to shooting. If you taught someone to drive by sticking them in a porsche and telling them to go as fast as they can, they would either love driving or hate it. The chance that someone will be turned off to shooting by the full auto factor is why it isn't appropriate to allow them to shoot it. Bring them if you like, but please don't bring them out of the trunk.

And yes, introducing them with small caliber guns and only semi auto guns is the right choice. I started off with .22's and a 12 gauge, and I don't think I would have been hooked on guns if I started off with a full auto. The reason we enjoy the full autos so much is that we are soo used to semi auto, we know our guns and the limitations, and when we shoot full autos it is something new and undiscovered/restricted for most of us. To a new shooter, a .22 rifle and .22 handguns present easy shooting, and the idea is to get them to like shooting, and tell them that there are much bigger/better options out there. Also, if we are going to a public range, I don't know if they will even allow full auto's in their facility.

No it is cool!!!

Not to worry, I always bring em just in case. :D

But I understand, I will have some very neat tactical....small stuff!

It will be fun, I promise.

Another outdoor option that is also a public range is the English Pit over in East Vancouver. I haven't been there for years, but apparently the Clark County Gun Club took over the management about a year ago (thanks again coctailer). The ranges are covered, and it's open to rifles and handguns. They also have certified instructors on staff on the weekends that don't charge for their instruction. It looks like you can also reserve the range if needed. I was planning on taking my wife out there since she has never shot a gun to have the instructors show her proper technique, and then join up with the forum members later on for an outdoor shoot. This would kill two birds! Here is the link:

http://www.englishpit.com/about/index.shtml

And just in case all that shooting builds up a thirst, there is a nice place on the way back to stop at:

<broken link removed>

**raises hand and expresses interest**

My wife at the moment has a mild fear, or rather anxiety towards firearms. Not against them by any means. Just not understanding the purpose/reason in "black guns" as sport shooters or defense firearms. I'd love for her to just hold one and "play" with it for a bit. I want to get back in to sport shooting and I would love for her to have the same desire and interest.

And as many mentioned here...It would probably be better to start her on the smaller ones and work her up from there. She has not shot a gun since she was very young (pre-early teens).

Keep us posted on if this is going to proceed. :s0155:

**raises hand and expresses interest**

My wife at the moment has a mild fear, or rather anxiety towards firearms. Not against them by any means. Just not understanding the purpose/reason in "black guns" as sport shooters or defense firearms. I'd love for her to just hold one and "play" with it for a bit. I want to get back in to sport shooting and I would love for her to have the same desire and interest.

And as many mentioned here...It would probably be better to start her on the smaller ones and work her up from there. She has not shot a gun since she was very young (pre-early teens).

Keep us posted on if this is going to proceed. :s0155:

She can shoot some of my .22s with suppressors on them. They won't seem so scary that way.

FA firearms have no place around any new shooter.

Same as putting a new rider on a green broke horse........can instill some fear into them, or down right steer them clear altogether. Even being around them can have a negative impact. Especially if you have some that are either very much on the fence, or totally on the other side.

I would recommend keeping the firearms used simple user friendly types. Low recoil.......and low noise.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top