JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll pick up my first steel-framed DA/SA in a couple of days. It's a CZ75 Compact. Everything else I have is polymer and striker-fired. Initially, I was looking at the HK P-30. However, I could not make up my mind regarding which trigger to commit to. As with many things some love one and hate the other while others lean in the opposite direction. In the end, I wasn't committed enough to make a decision. I think it was good that I waited.

I have some spinal issues that also affect the cervical region. One of the challenges this causes is reduced hand strength. Small polymer carry guns are too snappy to shoot comfortably, though I shoot acceptably well with them. I shoot better with my G19, but again it's a polymer frame making felt recoil border-line uncomfortable for me. The first couple of magazines are alright but my hands start to get tired soon after that. I'm also a big guy and unable to carry around the waist. Therefore, what works for me is to shoulder carry. Using a couple of backup magazines to counterbalance the weight of the gun should make the additional weight of the CZ a minor issue. The CZ 75 P-01 is more popular than the CZ 75 Compact. For me, the deciding factor is the steel vs alloy frame. My hope is that the additional weight, along with the lower bore axis (of both CZs), will be easier on my hands.

Aside from the obligatory list of all the guns I should have purchased, I would like to hear from those who own, or have owned, the CZ 75 Compact. It's a whole different animal for me and I'm interested in your feedback.

The CZ-75 Compact is a fine pistol. I carry mine fairly often, more since I got the LOK thin grips, which greatly reduced the trigger reach. I don't favor carrying it in Condition 1 as the safety lever is a bit mushy and doesn't compare ergonomically or mechanically with a good 1911 thumb safety. So, absent a de-cocker, the hammer must be lowered manually and with the skinny hammer coupled with large hands, must be done carefully. So I pack the pistol with hammer down on a chambered round, safety off, which is comparable to carrying a SIG P-series.

Elegant pistol, well crafted, great fit and finish. No tritium sights, gotta be exposed to light source in order for them to glow, and the lume doesn't last that long.

The 75C is a good carry pistol, and on the range, shoots well (for me, as well as my full-size 75s). Very, very accurate pistol with a decent, but not great trigger (DA a bit hard, but in SA, pretty good). I've got a couple Bowers Leather OWBs. Been meaning to pick up a Galco Miami Classic for this pistol, as I think a horizontal shoulder rig would be fine for this pistol. The Mec-Gar 15 round mags are the way to go.
Lok grips.jpg

The CZ-75 Compact is a fine pistol. I carry mine fairly often, more since I got the LOK thin grips, which greatly reduced the trigger reach. I don't favor carrying it in Condition 1 as the safety lever is a bit mushy and doesn't compare ergonomically or mechanically with a good 1911 thumb safety. So, absent a de-cocker, the hammer must be lowered manually and with the skinny hammer coupled with large hands, must be done carefully. So I pack the pistol with hammer down on a chambered round, safety off, which is comparable to carrying a SIG P-series.

Elegant pistol, well crafted, great fit and finish. No tritium sights, gotta be exposed to light source in order for them to glow, and the lume doesn't last that long.

The 75C is a good carry pistol, and on the range, shoots well (for me, as well as my full-size 75s). Very, very accurate pistol with a decent, but not great trigger (DA a bit hard, but in SA, pretty good). I've got a couple Bowers Leather OWBs. Been meaning to pick up a Galco Miami Classic for this pistol, as I think a horizontal shoulder rig would be fine for this pistol. The Mec-Gar 15 round mags are the way to go.
View attachment 1300386
Thanks for the input. Once I got the gun the first thing I noticed, aside from the weight, is how far my finger had to reach to get to the trigger. Still, it's a tight and very comfortable fit in my hand. The reach isn't terrible though. I'll look for those thin grips you mention.

I did take it to the range and put about 100 or so rounds through it. Easy and comfortable to shoot. My hand didn't fatigue the way it does with my other handguns. I have a way to go before I'm comfortable and accurate on the first pull but after that, it's much better. It's a much different trigger than any of my striker-fired handguns and I'll need to put in the practice time to get proficient with it.

As for carrying, I've been reading about and watching videos on the various ways of carrying this gun. One suggested carrying with the hammer down with a round in the chamber may allow the gun to fire if dropped. Since I horizontal shoulder carry should the gun fall from the holster when I bend over the back of the hammer may hit the ground and cause a discharge. That shouldn't happen, of course, but then a lot of things shouldn't happen. They too didn't like carrying with the hammer fully back and the safety on and suggested carrying with the hammer on the first notch instead. This would prevent the potential for discharge if dropped and the hammer would not be in the full-back position. The compromise is that it lessens that first pull distance by about half. That may not be a bad thing if I train that way.

I agree the sights are just ok. Moderate groupings at 10-yards are likely due to my not being used to the trigger. I hope. With time and practice, I expect to produce tighter groupings more consistently. The hand shakiness may not be resolvable though the additional weight does seem to have helped.

The gun came with 2 15-round magazines. Oregon has a bill that would limit magazines to 10 rounds (and other bad ideas) on the ballot. Since I'm not ready to start carrying the 75C yet I'll wait to order new mags. I agree, Mec-Gar is the way to go.

I'll pick up my first steel-framed DA/SA in a couple of days. It's a CZ75 Compact. Everything else I have is polymer and striker-fired. Initially, I was looking at the HK P-30. However, I could not make up my mind regarding which trigger to commit to. As with many things some love one and hate the other while others lean in the opposite direction. In the end, I wasn't committed enough to make a decision. I think it was good that I waited.

I have some spinal issues that also affect the cervical region. One of the challenges this causes is reduced hand strength. Small polymer carry guns are too snappy to shoot comfortably, though I shoot acceptably well with them. I shoot better with my G19, but again it's a polymer frame making felt recoil border-line uncomfortable for me. The first couple of magazines are alright but my hands start to get tired soon after that. I'm also a big guy and unable to carry around the waist. Therefore, what works for me is to shoulder carry. Using a couple of backup magazines to counterbalance the weight of the gun should make the additional weight of the CZ a minor issue. The CZ 75 P-01 is more popular than the CZ 75 Compact. For me, the deciding factor is the steel vs alloy frame. My hope is that the additional weight, along with the lower bore axis (of both CZs), will be easier on my hands.

Aside from the obligatory list of all the guns I should have purchased, I would like to hear from those who own, or have owned, the CZ 75 Compact. It's a whole different animal for me and I'm interested in your feedback.
Good for you to find a solution to a problem. Love it when people overcome challenges

Thanks for the input. Once I got the gun the first thing I noticed, aside from the weight, is how far my finger had to reach to get to the trigger. Still, it's a tight and very comfortable fit in my hand. The reach isn't terrible though. I'll look for those thin grips you mention.

I did take it to the range and put about 100 or so rounds through it. Easy and comfortable to shoot. My hand didn't fatigue the way it does with my other handguns. I have a way to go before I'm comfortable and accurate on the first pull but after that, it's much better. It's a much different trigger than any of my striker-fired handguns and I'll need to put in the practice time to get proficient with it.

As for carrying, I've been reading about and watching videos on the various ways of carrying this gun. One suggested carrying with the hammer down with a round in the chamber may allow the gun to fire if dropped. Since I horizontal shoulder carry should the gun fall from the holster when I bend over the back of the hammer may hit the ground and cause a discharge. That shouldn't happen, of course, but then a lot of things shouldn't happen. They too didn't like carrying with the hammer fully back and the safety on and suggested carrying with the hammer on the first notch instead. This would prevent the potential for discharge if dropped and the hammer would not be in the full-back position. The compromise is that it lessens that first pull distance by about half. That may not be a bad thing if I train that way.

I agree the sights are just ok. Moderate groupings at 10-yards are likely due to my not being used to the trigger. I hope. With time and practice, I expect to produce tighter groupings more consistently. The hand shakiness may not be resolvable though the additional weight does seem to have helped.

The gun came with 2 15-round magazines. Oregon has a bill that would limit magazines to 10 rounds (and other bad ideas) on the ballot. Since I'm not ready to start carrying the 75C yet I'll wait to order new mags. I agree, Mec-Gar is the way to go.
The cz 75 b action is drop safe the pre b action without the firing pin block as found in some of the competition cz pistols is not drop safe with the hammer down.

According to HandgunHero I don't have the 75b.

View attachment 1301120
The important bit is whether or not your slide has the firing pin block like in this picture. If your slide has the roll pin through it in the serrations like the one on HandgunHero it should have the block. CZ makes a lot of models that have the block even though they don't have a "B" in the name. That being said, the half cock position still seems like the better option to me. If you're manually decocking the gun it should be much harder to ND if you're only going to half cock instead of fully decocking. It also effectively lessens the required trigger finger reach as you noted.

ehkHBur.jpg

The important bit is whether or not your slide has the firing pin block like in this picture. If your slide has the roll pin through it in the serrations like the one on HandgunHero it should have the block. CZ makes a lot of models that have the block even though they don't have a "B" in the name. That being said, the half cock position still seems like the better option to me. If you're manually decocking the gun it should be much harder to ND if you're only going to half cock instead of fully decocking. It also effectively lessens the required trigger finger reach as you noted.

View attachment 1301265
Mine does appear to have the block. I note that mine sits recessed whereas yours seems to sit proud. It appears the reason for that is that you've removed the firing pin.
I'll likely carry "half-cocked" as I prefer to err on the side of caution and it seems to be a reasonable balance. For now, I need more time with the gun to learn the trigger and proper handling habits before I start carrying it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top