JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I guess I over looked these old pistols. Then I ran across a good deal on a 6904 9mm and bought it. That started me looking for info. on the web. I even bought the "Standard catalog of Smith & Wesson" book.

Monday I need to pick up a money order and mail it for a 645, 45acp., gunbroker auction gun.

So I thought I'd ask how many fans there are here for these old guns. Maybe see if we could get a good discussion about them going. I see a few more in my future.

Don

I love 3rd Gen Smiths. All steel, heavy but they are shooters. I had a 1006 and a 5906 and regret selling them both!

I'm a fan of 10mm so I knew about the 1006. But those average $900 -$1200 for a nice gun. A little more then I want to spend. I do see a 5906 or 5904 in my future though.

Love to have an Asp.

upload_2017-3-18_21-6-56.jpeg

Last Edited:
Hopefully this answers your question:
001-110.jpg
I'm glad the OP started this thread. I was beginning to wonder if anyone here liked these things...Glad to see I'm not alone..

ever hd one completely stipped down? i havent. i havent even seen one in person. just was wondering if its a pretty complicated machine or more simple

Yes, I've had mine stripped down. They can be pretty complex, when you get down to the trigger assembly, mag disconnect safety etc. However, with this being said, the 3rd gen's are some of the most reliable pistols I've ever seen...

My bowling pin guns. They are extremely reliable and accurate:

001-90.jpg

Here's a color scheme I've been wanting to do to mine, but haven't had the balls to change them from factory:
pix068072624.jpg
pix551530154.jpg

Smith SA's are great guns, at one point in my past I had a 10th Ammiversary IPSC 745, that thing was a monster, easily one of the most accurate .45's I've ever shot... But a big hulk of a gun...

Kinda wish I'd never sold it...

That's very cool Ron. I've never seen one of those before. Looks like it would slip in and out of a holster very easily. Probably great for CC. Thanks for sharing..

I have a 5906. It's having a problem extracting spent cases but still trying to load the next round. I just ordered a new extractor spring and hope that works.

These are heavy but stupid accurate. Mine has a long trigger pull but a soft break.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top