JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lol, they want dependency, this is 100% about dependency not "protecting the earth".

They will gladly let new builders install extremely inefficient gas fireplaces that burn off at a much higher carbon footprint than an efficient wood stove would ever produce.

Cant have people making their own heat, .gov owns that utility.

I LOVE Earth Stoves and the other great big stove (can't remember the name... Blaze King???).

Well, we could always go to the Warming Station I guess.

Typical winter heating bill, whether gas or electric, is over $200/mo... Yes, there are many people that can't afford that and gather wood all summer long to defray heating costs. Besides, wood heat is soooooooo nice! It's always been a way of life since I've lived here.

The low air quality caused by inversions really doesn't bother me, and I'm asthmatic! It's ugly, but if the people in Los Angeles can survive, then so can we.

Speaking of low air quality. You ever been to Utah? Along the Wasatch Front during winter? Mom and Dad have passed now but we used to visit them in the Salt Lake Valley every year in January for 10 days or so. Coming down the hill into Utah on 84 into Tremonton you could see the grey haze backed up against the Wasatch Mountains. Invariably, half way to SLC, you get to feeling like you're getting a cold. They get some really nasty air in the Salt Lake and Utah Valleys in winter.

Speaking of low air quality. You ever been to Utah? Along the Wasatch Front during winter? Mom and Dad have passed now but we used to visit them in the Salt Lake Valley every year in January for 10 days or so. Coming down the hill into Utah on 84 into Tremonton you could see the grey haze backed up against the Wasatch Mountains. Invariably, half way to SLC, you get to feeling like you're getting a cold. They get some really nasty air in the Salt Lake and Utah Valleys in winter.

Yes, I've been thru there a number of times. Both when traveling to Quartzsite AZ for winter, and it was a typical route to get up to I90 going East when I was hauling RV trailers. It can get ugly and for some reason is almost always raining when I go thru.

I thought the air quality around Provo was a bit better but I'm not sure I'm remembering accurately.

Yes, I've been thru there a number of times. Both when traveling to Quartzsite AZ for winter, and it was a typical route to get up to I90 going East when I was hauling RV trailers. It can get ugly and for some reason is almost always raining when I go thru.

I thought the air quality around Provo was a bit better but I'm not sure I'm remembering accurately.

It depends on the wind direction. They receive good and bad from NW and SW winds. So likely, depending on the very light wind direction during an inversion, the Utah Valley could be lesser or morerer thick with smog.

Okay, in Oregon isn't it illegal to sell a non-compliant woodstove with a home? Doesn't it have to be removed?

In La Grande, during winter inversions, burning of woodstoves will get you a stiff fine... the PD has at least one vehicle with a thermal scanner and they drive up and down the streets. Might come in useful to find suspects too...

I have known people that had to remove the wood stove out of their house before the sale of it could be completed. They were required to destroy it .A wood stove can save your life during a grid down and should be keeped for back up .

I have known people that had to remove the wood stove out of their house before the sale of it could be completed. They were required to destroy it .A wood stove can save your life during a grid down and should be keeped for back up .

Yes, IIRC the "officials" came to realize that people were working around the first law and modified it to absolutely require removal. I don't remember destruction being required, because AFAIK one could still use those old stoves in tents, etc. Not sure...

Oh, here it is from our saviors:

Oregon law requires removal and destruction of uncertified wood stoves and fireplace inserts when a home is sold. If a stove or insert is certified to meet wood smoke emission standards, it can remain in the home. The 2009 Oregon Legislature passed this law to help protect people from unhealthy wood smoke pollution.

Cut em up with a torch, make some targets.

Oh, here it is from our saviors:

Oregon law requires removal and destruction of uncertified wood stoves and fireplace inserts when a home is sold. If a stove or insert is certified to meet wood smoke emission standards, it can remain in the home. The 2009 Oregon Legislature passed this law to help protect people from unhealthy wood smoke pollution.

Cut em up with a torch, make some targets.

The good inserts were very expensive. I heated with wood for years. I miss the dry heat on wet days .

The good inserts were very expensive. I heated with wood for years. I miss the dry heat on wet days .

Us too. We often talk about it, but the upshot is that neither of us wants to deal with the mess. And are not capable anymore of getting it from the woods ourselves.

A pellet stove puts out nice heat, but you need to run a generator in a power outage if that's your only heat source. We have had several gas stoves and inserts... they also put out nice heat but not quite up to that of an old Earth stove. We had a 700sq' one bd home and heated the place with a Blaze King... it would get so hot in there that I sat on the couch in my drawers with the front door open when it was 30F outside. Nice!!!

Lol, they want dependency, this is 100% about dependency not "protecting the earth".

They will gladly let new builders install extremely inefficient gas fireplaces that burn off at a much higher carbon footprint than an efficient wood stove would ever produce.

Cant have people making their own heat, .gov owns that utility.

The energy saving gas appliances reach operating temp faster due to thin wall. Fire boxes. They crack and leak fumes and expose flame behind the cosmetic sheet metal in most cases its not even noticeable. They dont last but mabey 5 years on average.

Okay, in Oregon isn't it illegal to sell a non-compliant woodstove with a home? Doesn't it have to be removed?

Must be compliant when the structure was built, yes. Not just a house, but a shop too.

Also, no wood furnaces. Period. The state won't set standards for furnaces and won't test them. They do not want anybody using a wood furnace. My assumption is that since a wood furnace can be setup to burn with an automatic hopper, or at least will burn for much longer than a stove, that if they allowed furnaces then a lot more people would get them and use them a lot more than stoves - so they simply will not allow a furnace at all.

And how do they blow air into the pellet flame? Does one have to sit there and purse lips???

I always understood the air quality in Utah had to do with copper mining? Well, thats what a local told me while, getting new points on my 1970 383 RT Challenger, that broke down there back in the 90s

I always understood the air quality in Utah had to do with copper mining? Well, thats what a local told me while, getting new points on my 1970 383 RT Challenger, that broke down there back in the 90s

I don't know, maybe partially. They've have had to work with EPA regs just like everyone else I imagine. There's a butt load more people driving cars than when i was there though. I'd say that's the major cause.

Inversions are real common during winter on the Wasatch Front. The Wasatch Range is around 11,000' fee. Air movement during winter dry spells push all the crap up against the mountains. It is a high desert so those times are common. We didn't have those issues when I was growing up in the SL valley. They were more common when I moved away in '83. It was not uncommon during a winter inversion for it to be cloudy and brown in the valley but go up in the mountains and it would be 10-15 degrees warmer at 7,000' than it was on the valley floor.

This is what it looks like about halfway down Little Cottonwood Canyon where Snowbird Resort is.

P1020651.JPG

This is at the top

P1020636.JPG

And because it's so neat up there at 11,000'

P1020638.JPG

Being a sea level boy for so many years the air up there is very noticeably different.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews