JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 1086151
These are on a standard 16" barrel. The bayonet lug is there because it cool looking. Or because it's easier to just use the same part across all rifles instead of making multiple designs of front sights
Elzetta Design make a flashlight holder for the bayonet lug.

https://elzetta.com/product/zfh1500

B660F521-51A4-4575-AF48-83275CB21E26.jpeg

I use this mount and also an Elzetta Design light.

That's awesome. How does it hold up to recoil? Any issues with it?
I bought the bayonet light holder years ago and take my AR to range with the light on and have not had any any all ever. I have an older model of the Elzetta light and they have upped the number of lumens since I bought my light.

What's it take to go through a barrel?
There is a company in Las Vegas, Henderson Defense, that owns/operates "Battlefield Las Vegas". Tourists can rent just about any firearm known, including full auto, and shoot until their wallet is empty. Some 5.56 barrels there can last 80k - 100k before keyholing, some make it less than 10k. The data is very interesting for all the various parts life.

Or the use of the firearm.

NRA Service Rifle competition has a 600 yard slow-fire stage. Shooting heavy bullets very fast (higher velocity equates to less wind drift) is hard on barrel throats.

A competitor will start noticing non-called flyers long before the typical AR shooter would ever notice a drop in accuracy.

Once those flyers start appearing , typically that upper will be relegated to short range practice and a new barrel will be put into service shooting the full distant events.

What's it take to go through a barrel?
There's a few factors that come into play...quality of the barrel, velocity of the rounds, heating of the barrel etc.

I never got keyhole rounds, the groups opened up around 20k. The groups were acceptable til around 25k+. Installed another Colt barrel, got about the same life out of it.

The 3rd barrel is a Ballistic Advantage Hansen pencil profile...have 10k through it. It's been mostly retired, I use it as a loaner rifle.

But what's also something to look at, is the lack of anti-rotate pins all this time..and the trigger and hammer pin holes in the lower still gauge correctly.

If you've got a carbine length gas system, which you probably do, that bayonet lug isn't gonna be very useful. Unless it also has a pinned and welded 14.5" barrel. Otherwise, it's a colt and some people will nut in their shorts over it. If you're brand new to the platform, just keep your rifle as-is and learn it before you start mucking with it
This is worth repeating! The AR-15 can very quickly become a money pit. Before adding any aftermarket accessories or swapping components out, get beyond comfortable with it in its "standard" form. Then, you can figure out exactly what you like/dislike, which will help make more informed and purposeful upgrades!

The reason those lugs are there is less addition than the cost of hand-labor to cut 'em off. If they only have to order one A2-height FSB and one lo-pro gas block and can cover the entire catalog between just those two parts, that helps immensely with shaving costs and going for "economies of scale."

Sorta like why you will NEVER be able to build an AR for cheaper than you can buy one, all of the assemblers buy their small parts by weight not unit-count, and usually by the containerload.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top