JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I understand this is like picking a pair of shoes out for a complete stranger but i'm going to ask anyway.
Here is a little background. I'm familiar with hunting arms, pistols, handloading, ballistics, small time gun improvements/repair and have some experience with the M-16 and A-4. I'm not looking for a rifle that can shoot underwater, not be cleaned for years, take over small governments, or shoot .25MOA at 1000yds.
I'm looking to handload cheap ammo and shoot paper at 50-200+yds 1.25-2.0MOA?.
Have some reliable fun shooting cans and reactive targerts with friends.
Hunt coyotes and ground squirrels at reasonable ranges.
Provide a platform for the wife that is bigger than a 10/22 but smaller than my 308.

I have a tried to research this but i have become overwhelmed with info and opinions. I have a YHM stripped lower and that is it. This kit caught my eye <broken link removed> . But something tells me i should got with a 18-20in barrel, rifle length gas system and a free floating handgaurd along with a better trigger.

I'm not made of money but what do you recommend for a new AR owner.

Oh and i'm not opposed to building one from scratch.
Thanks and i value your thoughts,

I would spend the money on the RRA 2-stage lower parts kit and install it with the JP yellow trigger springs. Can be done for $130-140. Get stock of your choice along with buffer, tube and spring. If you can find a complete upper that matches what you want it will probably be cheaper than building. I agree that an 18" barrel will probaby suit what you are looking for. Also have to decide if you want iron sights or just run optics

If your not opposed to buying a complete rifle, Delton makes a nice one and I think Coctailer sells them at a good price. I think it would fit your needs at a reasonable price. The one thing nice about the platform is you can go from an entry level rifle like the Delton to "the sky is the limit" custom build. My build was a Mega lower with a Delton lower. Shoots good and is within the limits you were after.

Dan

Thanks for the thoughts so far. Oh the decisions and the $$. I have been trying to make up my mind since the last election and still have not pulled the trigger.
I also thinking 1-9 or a 1-8 twist should suit me as i don't intent to load the super long projectiles.
Sights or optics i don't want to think that far ahead just yet but will most likely rock sights while i save for glass.

Stick with a 1-7 or 1-8 barrel. 1-8 should cover 50g to 77g bullets no problem. One day I got tired of just looking and just started buying parts. About 9 months of spread out deal shopping and she was complete

Bravo Company has just about every configuration you can imagine, have you looked at the uppers on their website? Perhaps a 16in Reece/Recon upper would be up your alley - some nice options there for under a grand. My advice is don't get too hung up on price alone, more than once I have cheaped-out on something and ended up regretting it. I'm now a believer in buy once, cry once - to a point of course.

Beings that those would be your first ar I would suggest putting together one as cheap as you can. Usually when people buy a high end rifle and are not familiar with that kind of rifle they don't know what to expect or expect way to much from it. Buying a cheap rifle as your first will tell you what to expect, what changes you want (or need) to do and if you even like the rifle.

With that said, I seen dpms uppers at the gun show for $350.00 and plum crazy lowers for another $120.00. A great way into a "starter" rifle.

I myself have started with "high end" guns and didn't learn anything or the quality of it until I bought cheaper guns.

I stopped by Curts Discount Shooters (or is it Shooting Supply) on Hwy 99 yesterday and they had an ar for $599 with mag and case. Looked pretty good.

forgot to add- the lower was a Surplus Arms and Ammo, with Magpul Moe Grip, Stock and Handguard.

I stopped by Curts Discount Shooters (or is it Shooting Supply) on Hwy 99 yesterday and they had an ar for $599 with mag and case. Looked pretty good.

If you get one of those and shoot it till it melts,then you can get a better one after.If you don't shoot it that much,then you aren't out that extra $1000 on the high end ARs.
And you can ,or should I say you can't help but change things,when you want to try an upgrade.

I understand this is like picking a pair of shoes out for a complete stranger but i'm going to ask anyway.
Here is a little background. I'm familiar with hunting arms, pistols, handloading, ballistics, small time gun improvements/repair and have some experience with the M-16 and A-4. I'm not looking for a rifle that can shoot underwater, not be cleaned for years, take over small governments, or shoot .25MOA at 1000yds.
I'm looking to handload cheap ammo and shoot paper at 50-200+yds 1.25-2.0MOA?.
Have some reliable fun shooting cans and reactive targerts with friends.
Hunt coyotes and ground squirrels at reasonable ranges.
Provide a platform for the wife that is bigger than a 10/22 but smaller than my 308.

I have a tried to research this but i have become overwhelmed with info and opinions. I have a YHM stripped lower and that is it. This kit caught my eye <broken link removed> . But something tells me i should got with a 18-20in barrel, rifle length gas system and a free floating handgaurd along with a better trigger.

I'm not made of money but what do you recommend for a new AR owner.

Oh and i'm not opposed to building one from scratch.
Thanks and i value your thoughts,

I have tried three Palmetto lower kits and the trigger pins are junk or I got a bad batch. I completed three bushmaster lowers with these kits and under sustained fire and rapid fire drills the trigger pins walked out disabling the AR, not something you want to have happen to you!!!!! I fixed this with the KNS anti-rotate/walk kit.

I would go with a 16inch barrel.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads