JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thought I did good today selling two used rifles, a used revolver and a new lower totaling over 3k worth of revenue but got reamed again by the boss. Can't seem to catch a break these days. I am crawling back into my safety zone.
Every pawnshop has a gimp room.

Probably not really

True. How many guns does a person actually need? The rest are just a hobby, like any other.

My grandfather liked metal detecting. He always bought the treasure hunting/metal detector magazines, had stacks of them around that I read when we visited. He had a couple metal detectors and would occasionally use them. I don't recall him ever finding anything of value, but he enjoyed the hobby. It struck me one day, that though the industry magazines obviously couldn't survive without the metal detector manufacturers, the opposite was also true; the manufacturers couldn't survive without the magazines! They make you want more, and the manufacturers supply it, then you buy more magazines as your hobby grows.

I just had this talk with my teenagers recently. They're just starting their lives, and have cars and jobs (and school still). They have a terrible time saving any money, which disappoints me. It hit me recently that we've raised them in this materialistic, consumerist culture; how is it surprising? As much as we like to think we don't live that way, our house is full of junk! We're in the process of digging out, and there are stacks and stacks of junk that we don't need, stuff we've bought because we wanted it. We don't have nice cars, expensive furniture or electronics, but we sure have plenty of toys, crafts, junk from garage sales and Goodwill that the kids dragged home because it looked cool and was cheap. Now that they have part-time jobs and a little money, they spend it on more bigger and better toys.

I'm just as bad; I have a safe full of guns and gun stuff, most of which I don't need. I have enough guns and projects to keep me busy shooting and tinkering for the rest of my life. I work my butt off as much overtime as I can get, and frankly get a little resentful that it all goes into the family budget to pay for groceries and medical bills, so when I get a little ahead I have a tendency to buy a new toy. I should get to enjoy a little of that OT money, right?!

Retail therapy. A new toy will make me happy, until I'm bored with it, then another new toy will make me happy again. It's an ultimately empty and unfulfilling way to live. Like I said, we're in the process of digging out to try to regain some footing and live life a better way. Boxes and boxes of junk are leaving our house, destined for either the dumpster or Goodwill. I haven't got around to thinning out the guns yet, but that will come eventually.

I know many people homes are full of junk and old stuff they are not willing to get rid of,
Time for the next phase of life,. Get rid of stuff and make more room. Thining down the guns is my next move. Don't need that many.

Thining down the guns is my next move. Don't need that many.
Now hold on there! We don't need that kind of negativity around here. :s0123: :p

Seriously though, I do wonder how much effect on new guns sales there is from folks downsizing their collections. I've gotta admit, over the past few years I think I've actually opened up a spot or two in the gun safe. I've done a few trades, so I've got some new (to me) guns, and I've sold a couple. I haven't really bought anything new in awhile. The only things I've seen that piqued my interest were either too spendy - Python, Anaconda, or too new and I'll wait for any bugs to be worked out - SA-35.

My wife and I became empty nesters a couple of years back and we have spent some energy on de-cluttering our lives.

Currently all my guns are text fixtures for my ammo business and so are needed. That being said, when I quit being a business there will be a purging down to my most favorites. I'm not ready to do that yet though. To keep the extra clutter down, we save it up for the annual Creswell city wide garage sale and what doesn't sell goes to Goodwill.

I have always viewed minimum wage as something for the most basic entry level job, like a teenager during summer break or after school gathering shopping carts in the parking lot of the local grocery store.
It used to be these types of jobs were never viewed as something you could fully live on, but rather introduced a total novice to employment, even in a rural area.
Over time, perception has changed on what should be expected from the earnings of a minimum wage job.

I seems to me that right now there is a seasonal slow down on gun buys. I think people would rather go outside and play. Add to that the current political climate has now turned from panic buying to a wait and see attitude.

On one hand I have to imagine anyone that was gonna panic buy anything has already done so by now, on the other hand last I heard the Oregon queue was still at nearly 9000-long. So who are these people and what are they buying?

In my case I've picked up a few collectibles over the last few months to round out my collection (e.g. figured I was only a couple rifles away from every variant of the Carcano, may as well pick up what I'm missing while I can)… but surely that can't be 9000 people at this time.

We managed to sell two firearms yesterday despite bundling ammo with some of the firearms in stock. I bought seven firearms for the shop.

I also bought one yesterday off the NWFA classifieds, for myself at a good price. Complete M4E1 lower with drop in trigger, complete 7.62x39 upper with prism sight, 500ish rounds of ammo, 8 mags and extra hand guard for $450.

Firearms sales declining....
Well first you gotta find something that you want....:D
Not a whole lot out there that interests me new or used.
Granted my interests in firearms are a bit uncommon for NWFA.

Speaking of firearm sales and interests...
I did just buy on Friday a 1850's -1870's era Belgian made percussion side x side.
A little bit of work and it will be shootable...:D
Andy

Last Edited:
With my most recent purchase I'm thinking that my cone of wants is getting smaller and smaller. I know the correct number of guns is just one more but I don't see the next one on the horzion. Plus I get the feeling that after the Sept. court thingy there might be at least a 6 month wait time and a requirement for training before I can get a new to me gun. I really don't see anything more than I already have to want to jump thru those hoops. So for me, I see gun purchases declining.

For me it's all about interest and use.

The ever popular "tactical" types of rifles , pistols and shotguns....
Don't hold any interest for me.
Not saying that no one should own and enjoy 'em...just not for me.
So...since they are popular right now...and commonly seen for sale...
Not much buying for me.

That along with a dumb azz BGC for private sales...has curtailed my firearm purchasing.
At $30-$50 per transfer the firearm , and with some shops charging tax on a firearm that is brought in just for a trade with another person...
That firearm had better be all that I could ask for.
At one time , finding a good conditioned used wood stocked .22 rifle or shotgun at an affordable price was a common sight at gun shops and shows...now not so much.
Andy

Seriously??? :eek::eek::eek: Man, that just ain't right. :(
Yep seriously.
I found out the hard way when I did a trade here with a NWFA member...
Had the rifle shipped to the FFL...he did the BGC...charged me $50...and then wanted tax on the rifle as well...
Even though it was a straight across trade.
That was the last time I did any business with that gun shop.
Andy

Yep seriously.
I found out the hard way when I did a trade here with a NWFA member...
Had the rifle shipped to the FFL...he did the BGC...charged me $50...and then wanted tax on the rifle as well...
Even though it was a straight across trade.
That was the last time I did any business with that gun shop.
Andy
I agree that is a bummer But the greedy SOB in Olympia might give them no choice

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top