JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Helping someone clear out an estate. In it are two old, pretty beat up shotguns. Resale value is less than $100. With the transfer fee in Oregon they aren't worth the hassle of selling on her behalf. Does anyone know a place she can donate them and get a receipt for tax deduction?
Thanks

I bet somebody would buy them for wall art. Seriously. $100 in hand is better than $100 in "tax credit".

Thanks for the options. I've explored those and they remain viable.
As a donation we can justify more value than cash in hand to offset taxes against the property. The buy back is an option but requires 1) keeping them and 2) waiting in line at 6am to get a gift certificate or similar.
Looking to maximize value while minimizing work for her.
Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Thanks for the options. I've explored those and they remain viable.
As a donation we can justify more value than cash in hand to offset taxes against the property. The buy back is an option but requires 1) keeping them and 2) waiting in line at 6am to get a gift certificate or similar.
Looking to maximize value while minimizing work for her.
Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Are they functional? I'd post the makes/models and photos if you have them. Someone might offer you a bit more, buy them for parts, etc. Buyer traditionally pays the transfer fee.

Any donation would require a BGC so that part of it is a moot point compared to a sale.

Photos of these beat up shotguns would really help the conversation.

Mark,
Good point on the back ground check for donation. I'll advise her of that.
As for the guns: Imagine a JC Higgins model 20 that saw 50 years of duck hunting then was stored in a case while damp. Basically no finish on the wood, splotchy surface rust on the barrel. Bores good but gun is not worth the time to photo (also I don't have them in hand). Real value $50 to $75. The other one is better, but also not handy for photos.

I'm pretty sure both @Velzey and I (as well as any of the other resident gun plumbers) have bought worse as parts guns. If you get them in hand, post some photos, and I would be surprised if you didn't find a willing victim.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top