JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thought I'd post a few pictures of my recently finished longrifle.
It's a chambers kit in. 54 cal. 38" barrel, mostly curly maple stock.
What a project! I've built a number of firearms, but this one has been the most satisfying, my 1911 being a close runner up.
Now I'm just trying to work up a good load for it!

I really enjoyed building it and I'm proud to share it with all you fine people!

20190510_150625.jpg I know the front site is backwards in this pic, I've since fixed it. 20190510_150606.jpg I built the horn too. 20190510_150212.jpg 20190510_150206.jpg IMG952750.jpg IMG952753.jpg IMG952757.jpg IMG952765.jpg even the wife likes it. IMG952735.jpg

Another flintlock at TCGC!

Looks good, except the lock is on the wrong side.:D

TCGC monthly muzzleloader shoot is the second Sunday of the month. Shooting starts at 0900. 25, 50 and 100 yds off hand.

Another flintlock at TCGC!

Looks good, except the lock is on the wrong side.:D

TCGC monthly muzzleloader shoot is the second Sunday of the month. Shooting starts at 0900. 25, 50 and 100 yds off hand.
Thanks for the invite roundball, I'll be taking you up on it. I meant to get to Sunday's shoot, but just couldn't make it happen with all the mothers in my life!

Good looking rifle and horn...Nice to see another Flintlock Long Rifle here...:D
I find that 60-80 grains of 2F , a .15 patch and a .530 round ball does pretty good in most of the .54 caliber rifles that I have owned or shoot....
Andy

Good looking rifle and horn...Nice to see another Flintlock Long Rifle here...:D
I find that 60-80 grains of 2F , a .15 patch and a .530 round ball does pretty good in most of the .54 caliber rifles that I have owned or shoot....
Andy
I'll give it a try Andy. I started with .535 with either .015 or .012, I can't remember. But it loaded ok in a clean barrel, got kinda tight after a few shots.
I'm planning on shooting .530 on the next trip, seehow that does with my patches or some 12oz canvas.
It's a round bottom rifled rice barrel, I've heard they like thicker patch.

I'll give it a try Andy. I started with .535 with either .015 or .012, I can't remember. But it loaded ok in a clean barrel, got kinda tight after a few shots.
I'm planning on shooting .530 on the next trip, seehow that does with my patches or some 12oz canvas.
It's a round bottom rifled rice barrel, I've heard they like thicker patch.

I like a "looser" load than many other shooters...I even try to avoid using a short starter...In my experience most shooters of today shoot a far tighter patch and ball combo , than what was historically used.
That said...that is only important if you want to shoot like Daniel Boone or Kit Carson...

As for getting "tight" after a few shots , fouling can cause that ...fouling will happen , sometimes fast or slow , depending on just how many shots and humidity in the weather...
Andy

Nice job on that!

I was pleasantly surprised to see you built a "Lefty" rifle. I might just have to look into one of those kits. ;)
I shot a righty a while back, the pan flash in my face wasn't a problem but the stock castoff felt odd.
I'd be perfectly happy with a straight stock and a right side lock. My next rifle might be a leman halfstock in that configuration.

I shot a righty a while back, the pan flash in my face wasn't a problem but the stock castoff felt odd.
I'd be perfectly happy with a straight stock and a right side lock. My next rifle might be a leman halfstock in that configuration.

Good to know, maybe I should give the "righty" flintlock my Dad built in the 70's a try. Iv'e always been a little leery of shooting it L handed.

I like a "looser" load than many other shooters...I even try to avoid using a short starter...In my experience most shooters of today shoot a far tighter patch and ball combo , than what was historically used.
That said...that is only important if you want to shoot like Daniel Boone or Kit Carson...

As for getting "tight" after a few shots , fouling can cause that ...fouling will happen , sometimes fast or slow , depending on just how many shots and humidity in the weather...
Andy
I'm very interested in learning to load and shoot the way the old timers did it. I'd like to get a good look at some original barrels. The few I've seen (on line) don't look like our modern barrels at the muzzle.

By the way Andy, I've been reading a number of your posts, I appreciate your take on shooting older style firearms in these modern times.
The older I get, the simpler I want things to be!

Good to know, maybe I should give the "righty" flintlock my Dad built in the 70's a try. Iv'e always been a little leery of shooting it L handed.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, from my very little experience!
If you want to try a lefty, come to a shoot. I'm going to try to catch the ones coming up this summer.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top