JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's a work of art. Do these come in kits?
Thanks db!
They do, I bought mine from a guy named Jim chambers. He sells you all the parts, mostly rough cast. The barrel is finished to about 120 grit finish, the lock is finely sandblasted, but I polished mine and finished it with ferric chloride for that nice grey color.
The stock is about 90% finished, but I found out that the last 10% is 90%of the work!
So it is a "kit" but it takes a lot of work to finish.

I had fun with it, so much so that I'm starting another one from scratch, a .62 cal hawken!

Years ago I had a Left Hand kit gun. A 1858 or so Enfield .58 caliber copy? Mini balls. Civil War reenactments. I was skinny in high school and got to act as an extra in some cheap Civil War film. Had to get really dirty and wore rags. Confederate. They ran us for miles before the filming to get us really tired. I thought it was fun since I was in cross country and track. Had to be real careful even shooting blanks.

Years ago I had a Left Hand kit gun. A 1858 or so Enfield .58 caliber copy? Mini balls. Civil War reenactments. I was skinny in high school and got to act as an extra in some cheap Civil War film. Had to get really dirty and wore rags. Confederate. They ran us for miles before the filming to get us really tired. I thought it was fun since I was in cross country and track. Had to be real careful even shooting blanks.
Haha, man that sounds like a blast!
That got me thinking, haven't seen any good civil war movies lately.

Very nice. I'm sympathetic to south paws since I are one, sorta. I write lefthanded, but shoot and throw right handed, weld either handed. Sort of ambidextrous. Or as Dad put it, "awkward with both hands":)
If you're getting tough loading after a few shots because of fouling, you might want to learn the savory joy of the spit patch for non-hunting type shooting. I can usually get 20+ shots out of my .50 flintlock with no difficulty loading.

Oh yeah, I was introduced to the spit patch right off the bat.
Ther fellow who kinda introduced me to muzzleloaders handed me a patch and told me to stick it in my mouth so I'd shut up and let him teach!

Partly because of this thread...
Reducing the amount of stuff question?

and the resultant fear that the Tidy Elves might make off with my flintlock because I havent used it in a while (well over the commonly mentioned 6 months.... probably more like 6 years), combined with the occasion of Independence Day, got me off the dime to do something about it :)
Found my BP shooting box in my shop. No small task, think the final scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark only without the organization. Anyway, got my stuff together, walked out to the back yard and made smoke! I was wonderful:) 2019070495195447.jpg
Even got wifey to tag along for the picture taking.
Life is good!

Apologies for the thread hijack :rolleyes:

Partly because of this thread...
Reducing the amount of stuff question?

and the resultant fear that the Tidy Elves might make off with my flintlock because I havent used it in a while (well over the commonly mentioned 6 months.... probably more like 6 years), combined with the occasion of Independence Day, got me off the dime to do something about it :)
Found my BP shooting box in my shop. No small task, think the final scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark only without the organization. Anyway, got my stuff together, walked out to the back yard and made smoke! I was wonderful:)View attachment 597722
Even got wifey to tag along for the picture taking.
Life is good!

Apologies for the thread hijack :rolleyes:
No sweat, these threads belong to us all, free speech brother!
Good for you, giving some attention a neglected firearm. I have a blast with mine!
Everytime I shoot mine I tend to think about our forefathers waging war with these flintlock rifles, the independence they fought for, and what they'd think about what we've done with the freedom won for us.

Lefties unite!
Nice rifle, you should get a lot of good shooting out of that one!
Building a muzzleloader is a good winter project, but the used market is so good on these, it seems cheaper to buy used rather build from a kit.
That's what I was thinking something to do this winter.

That's what I was thinking something to do this winter.
In that case, I can't recommend Jim chambers enough! Mine was a well put together kit with good parts and great service. I recommend contacting him a couple months before you want to start building though, it took him a while to rustle up my parts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top