JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know they're supposed to be around, but this is the first time in the six years I've been here that I've seen one. He was about deck level across the creek and browsing through tree stumps for goodies.

He was maybe five feet or so long and looked really healthy. We think that with all the burn scars in the mountains we're going to see more varied critters down here to browse than usual.

Most animals who don't want to be seen usually aren't, but I guess if you're a bear you don't worry too much about it. :cool:

P.S. I stomped another scorpion in the kitchen this morning. That's two this week and they're bigger than the ones we usually get. I dislike using pesticides, but I'm going to have to find something that will get rid of the little terrorists that won't put me on the econazi's hit list.

I'm going to call our across the creek neighbors and get their pest guy's number. He's been their guy for years, he's reasonable and good and they give him a top notch star rating.

On the subject of scorpions, my young neighbor bought one of Elon Musk's "Not a Flamethrower" flamethrowers and when it gets here I'll get to play with it. :cool:

That was a good Stephen Hunter book too.

That's funny, my fiance was talking to a neighbor and they were talking about how good it would look with our freezers wrapped around it. But unless something is a threat, it's live and let live around here. I want this place as natural as I can maintain it.
However, rattlers and scorpions and such don't get visitor privileges.

That was a good Stephen Hunter book too.

That's funny, my fiance was talking to a neighbor and they were talking about how good it would look with our freezers wrapped around it. But unless something is a threat it's live and let live around here. I want this place as natural as I can maintain it.
However, rattlers and scorpions and such don't get visitor privileges.

Rattlers and Scorpions. Sounds like the Mojave. Or SE Oregon :D

We have had Black Bear on the prowl here on the Long Beach Peninsula for at least the last 4 months, a scary thought when I have to take the pup out for her potty break in the middle of the night. We also have packs of Coyote wandering the neighbor hood, and one resident cougar as well. I keep a rifle handy at night for these critters. The Long Beach Peninsula has the highest concentration of Black Bears in the state of Washington according to the WA dept of wildlife. The bears seem to avoid human contact though, there hasn't been a reported Mauling in over 20 years here.

I wouldn't be to worried about a black bear or two in your area! Bears are awesome, and to have one in your A.O. is a good sign of a healthy environment! I still have a huge Grizzly on my Ranch and he has been fun to have around. The plusses are he keeps the other predators in check, very few Wolves and Coyoties to bother us and the neighbors, and he does a great job keeping the berries from taking over every thing. We also have much fewer rodents but more insects, so more snakes and spiders, so it's sort of a trade off. LOL!:)
As long as you don't temp your visitor to wanna stay, enjoy the visit and be happy! Trust me, once a bear decides he likes your land, it becomes his for how ever long he wants to stay, and you ether accept it( and invest In lots of Bear fencing) or you have to remove it/have it removed! Bears are kind if like a big cranky dog, if they like you, they wanna hang out and mooch off ya:):eek::oops::rolleyes::confused:

I've been lucky enough to see two Black Bear in the coast range. One in a clear cut in the Valsetz area and one out near the Hebo area. I was amazed at how fast they were able to disappear once they saw humans. Pretty darned cool animals.

I know they're supposed to be around, but this is the first time in the six years I've been here that I've seen one. He was about deck level across the creek and browsing through tree stumps for goodies.

He was maybe five feet or so long and looked really healthy. We think that with all the burn scars in the mountains we're going to see more varied critters down here to browse than usual.

Most animals who don't want to be seen usually aren't, but I guess if you're a bear you don't worry too much about it. :cool:

P.S. I stomped another scorpion in the kitchen this morning. That's two this week and they're bigger than the ones we usually get. I dislike using pesticides, but I'm going to have to find something that will get rid of the little terrorists that won't put me on the econazi's hit list.

When all the logging is done, I am thinking of putting my trail cam back there. It would probably catch more critters and if someone thinks they can snag firewood without permission or otherwise trespass back there now that there is a road, I would maybe catch a photo of them doing it.

I know I have bears as people other than me have seen them, and I have seen their scat as close as 50 feet to the house - the morning the loggers started falling trees there were two large piles near the house - I think they scared a few critters out of the woods that morning.

FYI - there are glue boards for mice and insects that you can buy on Amazon for a decent price. I catch more insects than mice, but they would probably work for scorpions if you can put them in a place where the scorpions usually travel.

I wouldn't be to worried about a black bear or two in your area! Bears are awesome, and to have one in your A.O. is a good sign of a healthy environment! I still have a huge Grizzly on my Ranch and he has been fun to have around. The plusses are he keeps the other predators in check, very few Wolves and Coyoties to bother us and the neighbors, and he does a great job keeping the berries from taking over every thing. We also have much fewer rodents but more insects, so more snakes and spiders, so it's sort of a trade off. LOL!:)
As long as you don't temp your visitor to wanna stay, enjoy the visit and be happy! Trust me, once a bear decides he likes your land, it becomes his for how ever long he wants to stay, and you ether accept it( and invest In lots of Bear fencing) or you have to remove it/have it removed! Bears are kind if like a big cranky dog, if they like you, they wanna hang out and mooch off ya:):eek::oops::rolleyes::confused:

So true, here's a short video I took of his resident Grizz!! :D

709A9C23-1B04-4D4A-825F-889D6CBA978E.gif

Lots of black bears where I live and hunt...We even get reports and sightings of bears in the farm fields just outside of town.

I have stumbled across many a bear while hunting , hiking or camping...they are fun to watch.
Just like any animal I have encountered in the wild...I tend to give them the "right of way"... so to speak and keep a clean camp...this seems to work out well for all concerned.
Andy

Black bears are more afraid to be honest. Their attacks rarely lead to serious injury, and their number of attacks has more to do with population than inherent aggressiveness. Still, don't poke the bear. o_O
Bears good, scorpions bad. Good luck. May need to evac the house and call in an air strike, just to be sure.
Just cook em and eat em.

.P.S. I stomped another scorpion in the kitchen this morning. That's two this week and they're bigger than the ones we usually get. I dislike using pesticides, but I'm going to have to find something that will get rid of the little terrorists that won't put me on the econazi's hit list.
Broadcast some a this around where/when it's dry..

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms , a type of hard-shelled protist ( chrysophytes ). It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive in products including metal polishes and toothpaste , mechanical insecticide , absorbent for liquids, matting agent for coatings, reinforcing filler in plastics and rubber, anti-block in plastic films, porous support for chemical catalysts, cat litter , activator in blood clotting studies, a stabilizing component of dynamite , and a thermal insulator .

Even though he was a different species of bear(a Syrian brown bear) I wouldn't mind having a bear like Wojtek around. Wojtek (bear) - Wikipedia Sitting around downing a few beers with one like him sounds like it would be fun and to think he actually pitches in and pulls his own weight. No wonder the Polish soldiers loved him.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top