JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was taught fairly early on that if you have to get into a fight, you fight to win, and that includes going for soft targets like the throat, eyes and pee pee ;) But I was also taught it is best to always avoid a fight whenever possible, either by trying to de-escalate the situation or just removing yourself from it. I've only been in a handful of fights in my life and to date, I've never suffered any serious injury, something I'm thankful for. About 1/2 of those were stepping in-between two folks in a mis-matched fight (such as a guy about to hit a girl and another guy that punched a guy while he was holding his young kid - which dropped them both to the ground). The events where I did get involved in a fight were before I carried.

As I get older and slower, I find even less desire to get into a physical altercation. But if someone forces my hand, I will do what I can to make them regret that move. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and they'll move on their merry way. And, as I now carry regularly, I have no desire to be grappling with someone while I've got a gun on me - just not a good place to be.

This reminds me of a funny story from my youth about a fight avoided. I was 17, and at a time in my life when my temper was a bit on the touchy side. I had just ended a shift working at McD's, on my way home when a guy cut me off and almost caused an accident with me. So, I laid on my horn and told him he was #1 ;) He apparently didn't appreciate my gesture of support for his questionable parentage, so he responded by slamming on his brakes in the middle of the road, causing me to stop just short of his rear bumper. Then he gets out of his car - arms out wide, chest all puffed up like some kind of bodybuilder in a competition.

Now, I should note, my car at this time was a 1978 Datsun 200sx. It was a small car, low to the ground - he was in a big pickup. At that time I had already hit my 6'1" height and was running about 220. Looking at him, he was probably about 5'6". I opened my door, got out of the car with my angry face on :p and he immediately turned tail, got in his truck and got out of there. I can only assume seeing a big guy come out of this little clown car caught him off guard. No words were exchanged. I should also mention, I was still wearing my blue polyester McD's uniform at this time, so I was wearing anything but an intimidating outfit. My size and my facial expression must have been enough. I was pissed at the whole thing, but ended up standing their laughing as he took off.

Last Edited:
This reminds me of a funny story from my youth about a fight avoided. I was 17, and at a time in my life when my temper was a bit on the touchy side. I had just ended a shift working at McD's, no my way home when a guy cut me off and almost caused an accident with me doing so. So, I laid on my horn and told him he was #1 ;) He apparently didn't appreciate my gesture of support for his questionable parentage, so he responded by slamming on his brakes in the middle of the road, causing me to stop just short of his rear bumper. Then he gets out of his car - arms out wide, chest all puffed up like some kind of bodybuilder in a competition.

Now, I should note, my car at this time was a 1978 Datsun 200sx. It was a small car, low to the ground - he was in a big pickup. At that time I had already hit my 6'1" height and was running about 220. Looking at him, he was probably about 5'6". I opened my door, got out of the car with my angry face on :p and he immediately turned tail, got in his truck and got out of there. I can only assume seeing a big guy come out of this little clown car caught him off guard. No words were exchanged. I should also mention, I was still wearing my blue polyester McD's uniform at this time, so I was wearing anything but an intimidating outfit. My size and my facial expression must have been enough. I was pissed at the whole thing, but ended up standing their laughing as he took off.

That's funny man and reminds me of something real similar about a year younger then you were.

I lived out in the boonies past battle ground in my teens and was late for something so I passed the car in front of me (they were going the speed limit and it was night time) when all of a sudden as soon as I pass this guy turns his brights on. Not flashed, just turned them on and sped up to keep up with me.

I was in a mustang with a custom motor in it but the body looked haggard to be honest.

The combo of late at night, tired and late plus this guy f'ing with me made me loose it. I gunned it on a straight stretch and slammed on the brakes while turning the wheel and put my car perpendicular to the lanes and blocked the whole road.

Dude pulls up to about 20' from me and stops as I'm getting tangled up in my seat belt I'm so pissed. Got out and stood up as he started to get out. Same deal, I was working out and a big kid with a very bad look on my face.

I will never forget that guy driving his car into the 3' ditch and around my car as he took off spewing dirt everywhere.

I was so stunned I just got back in my car and figured Inwa the winner. I sped back up (not to catch him but to make up some time) but never saw him again.

Fun stories from dumb kids - wouldn't do the same thing now obviously.

That's funny man and reminds me of something real similar about a year younger then you were.

I lived out in the boonies past battle ground in my teens and was late for something so I passed the car in front of me (they were going the speed limit and it was night time) when all of a sudden as soon as I pass this guy turns his brights on. Not flashed, just turned them on and sped up to keep up with me.

I was in a mustang with a custom motor in it but the body looked haggard to be honest.

The combo of late at night, tired and late plus this guy f'ing with me made me loose it. I gunned it on a straight stretch and slammed on the brakes while turning the wheel and put my car perpendicular to the lanes and blocked the whole road.

Dude pulls up to about 20' from me and stops as I'm getting tangled up in my seat belt I'm so pissed. Got out and stood up as he started to get out. Same deal, I was working out and a big kid with a very bad look on my face.

I will never forget that guy driving his car into the 3' ditch and around my car as he took off spewing dirt everywhere.

I was so stunned I just got back in my car and figured Inwa the winner. I sped back up (not to catch him but to make up some time) but never saw him again.

Fun stories from dumb kids - wouldn't do the same thing now obviously.

Nice :cool:

He's just discussing body language, like a person unconsciously tucking the chin in to protect their face from a strike. Situational awareness is always good advice.

I have lived in OK neighborhoods for ever. Lakewood, were the cops asked me if I was moving out when I told them where I lived, South Tacoma where kids kill kids.
Basically you act like you could care less about the POS' around you. Don't fu&@ with me I don't f with you.
I wasn't in the 'hood' but next to it. The only things I did was look people in the eye and make them think I might be a little off
And they didn't mess with me. No tough guy needed:cool:

If you want something that relys on gross motor skills and is therefore, easier to remember (and harder to forget), train Krav Maga. If you want the ultimate offensive (where offense is the only defense) system and don't mind intensive training that requires years of development of micro-motor skills to become truly awesome, train Leung Ting Wing Tsun.

Of course, the point of it is only to create enough space and distance to draw your gun and end it. :cool:

Ages ago I lived in a rough section of my home town after i got out on my own. Rented the upper part of a duplex while my buddy lived in the lower part. We had a biker gang that lived across the alley behind us. But we put on like we were the craziest mofos around. Shooting from the windows upstairs, loud music, all kinds of stuff. Nobody messed with us.

The best system is the one you stick with. If you find an instructor you like everything else is going to work out.

I have played with many combat systems and picked up something useful from each one. I had the misfortune of working in the prison system for a long time. Mindset of victory is your best weapon!!!

I am getting too old to fight, but if for some reason I didn't have my EDC or my OTF on me and was caught in a bad spot I'd use the others guys momentum to get him down hard and fast and then go for a choke. I'm 41, and the last time I had to do that I was 34. He lunged, I assisted by pulling him toward my left side(I'm a leftie). He hit the ground and I was able to drop and secure a deep rear naked. And I am, by NO means, a trained fighter. Two years of Karate when I was in my twenties and some workout sessions at the gym with a few MMA tough guys (call me the punching bag). Was more than likely just plain luck.

BTW the position is supported by the data that female LEOs are far more likely to fire on a perp than male LEOs and if the perp is white the shootings jump-up by about 600%
Just FYIo_O

Back in the day, 1981, our local PD had a at the time fairly rare female officer. She had this habit of when she was searching or getting ready to cuff a suspect, she would have them braced up against a wall or car, she would hold her mag light on the inside of the guys thigh. She would tell them that if they moved, she would smash their nuts up into their throat.

Most of them never tried anything, but on one scene with a drunk at 3 am, he tried to twist away from her and she laid that mag light full force up into his nads. He went down like a heart shot elk, and proceeded to roll around screaming like a little botch while cuffed. It was a pleasure to watch him get his due, and she seldom had trouble with jerks after that.

Then there's the guy my instructor watched get kick a few times while sparing. Yes he had a cup on.
Ever been kicked good with a cup on? Yeah
Anyway, he said to the guy he would have gone down after the second kick.
This was back in a Beattle boot times. He said in his neighborhood,you go down and get kicked in the ear with those boots so you learn to take a few to the cohonads :confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top