JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning on spending a lot of time hiking and backpacking this summer and it's been a while (~9 yrs) since I've had any kind of training in field first aid. Are there any classes, EMTs, 68Ws, or nurses that could give a course of instruction to refresh me?

I recommend finding a certified class. I took a NOLS Wildernes First Aid class and really enjoyed it. That's where I recommend anyone start. Since then I got into it and I'm currently an EMT student with the goal of getting my Wilderness EMT license.

A handy book on first aid is First Aid for Soldiers.
Sure some things are changed or updated like CPR ... But old methods are better than doing nothing.
And some ideas in the book might not be found in other books .
Andy

One thing I want to mention too is that many of these books and courses focus almost entirely on trauma and leave out medical emergencies. Don't get me wrong, trauma is more fun than medical (for the responder, probably suck equally for the patient) but I feel like I'm much more likely to find someone on the trail in respiratory distress than having had their leg blown off or something. Plus medical emergencies are far more likely in other settings: at the grocery store, at your job, whatever.

Basically what I'm saying is don't neglect the medical portion of the training.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top