JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's interesting how that works. It's like a study I recall having read a couple of years ago that found that extending the duration of the yellow light on a traffic light by a second or two did a lot more to prevent collisions at intersections than installing those cameras that take pictures of your license plate in order to send you a ticket.

It's interesting how that works. It's like a study I recall having read a couple of years ago that found that extending the duration of the yellow light on a traffic light by a second or two did a lot more to prevent collisions at intersections than installing those cameras that take pictures of your license plate in order to send you a ticket.

Ever drove in another country before? Many countries have a flashing light system to let you know that the time is running out....like the green light is going to turn yellow soon so it starts to flash. Why not install the same principle here in the US? Those intersections on roads that are 60mph is where people get freekin CREAMED. How about just putting them there? All it takes is reprograming the lights to flash before yellow a couple times.

One thing that kills me about the new cell phone laws is that LEO is exempt...oh, and if you pull over on the freeway to use your phone, they'll give you a $150 ticket for using the emergency shoulder for a non emergant reason (which, ironically, is the same price for driving with your cell phone).

Got to laugh at the system sometimes...because crap like this just makes you realize that issuing tickets and doing emphasis patrols do little more than increase the revenue of that city, county or state.

On 97 in Omak they have the Canadian type flashing lights just before you get to the intersection. If you are going the speed limit and you see those lights start up, the traffic light will be just turnig yellow when you get to the intersection. They are about 100 yards before the intersection, plenty of time to slow down and stop even in winter. They have these same type lights all over rural BC.

Half the drivers in Portland already do slow down when the light is green. They creep along until the light turns yellow and either slam on their brakes or blow through it leaving those behind them to wait through the light.

Ever drove in another country before? Many countries have a flashing light system to let you know that the time is running out....like the green light is going to turn yellow soon so it starts to flash. Why not install the same principle here in the US? Those intersections on roads that are 60mph is where people get freekin CREAMED. How about just putting them there? All it takes is reprograming the lights to flash before yellow a couple times.

One thing that kills me about the new cell phone laws is that LEO is exempt...oh, and if you pull over on the freeway to use your phone, they'll give you a $150 ticket for using the emergency shoulder for a non emergant reason (which, ironically, is the same price for driving with your cell phone).

Got to laugh at the system sometimes...because crap like this just makes you realize that issuing tickets and doing emphasis patrols do little more than increase the revenue of that city, county or state.

Actually they amended that law. Now it states that if you were using the phone for business reasons i.e. work, then it's allowed. You would have to prove that it was a work call in court since you'll probably get ticketed.

Actually they amended that law. Now it states that if you were using the phone for business reasons i.e. work, then it's allowed. You would have to prove that it was a work call in court since you'll probably get ticketed.

That loophole is actually going away in January. Also you have to be in a commercially marked vehicle, and the call has to be necessary for your business. ( know a traffic cop and we had this exact conversation the other day) He told me that he has never lost in court for a cell phone ticket and he writes them every day, 99.9999% of calls can't be proven to be necessary for you business, most of the time its something that can wait, or something that it not all that important. So you can try this defence in court, but good luck. And that's only until 2012.

I spent 7+ hours in the car yesterday and every time that someone almost caused an accident, or did something really stupid that I witnessed, I would usually pass them and find them texting or on their phone. This happened four or five times throughout the day. I'm not one to like most new laws, but get off your #$%^&%%$ cell phone and try not to kill someone that I love today please :)

Red light cameras have proven to be nothing but a revenue base.

I love the blinking green light idea.

How about a blinking red so I know when to dump the clutch. jk

Time to get bluetooth headset

That loophole is actually going away in January. Also you have to be in a commercially marked vehicle, and the call has to be necessary for your business. ( know a traffic cop and we had this exact conversation the other day) He told me that he has never lost in court for a cell phone ticket and he writes them every day, 99.9999% of calls can't be proven to be necessary for you business, most of the time its something that can wait, or something that it not all that important. So you can try this defence in court, but good luck. And that's only until 2012.

I spent 7+ hours in the car yesterday and every time that someone almost caused an accident, or did something really stupid that I witnessed, I would usually pass them and find them texting or on their phone. This happened four or five times throughout the day. I'm not one to like most new laws, but get off your #$%^&%%$ cell phone and try not to kill someone that I love today please :)

Red light cameras have proven to be nothing but a revenue base.

I love the blinking green light idea.

How about a blinking red so I know when to dump the clutch. jk

Well as of now this is the ORS concerning it.

Oregon's New Cell Phone Law
"Operating a Motor Vehicle While Using a Mobile Communication Device"
House Bill 2377 amended ORS 811.507 to ban the use of mobile communication devices with some exceptions. The new law, a class D traffic violation with a minimum base fine of $142.00, is effective January 1, 2010 and is a primary offense, meaning that a police officer may stop a driver solely for using a cell phone without using a hands-free accessory. For purposes of the new law, "mobile communication device" is defined as a text messaging device or a wireless, two-way communication device designed to receive and transmit voice or text communication. Exceptions provided in the law are:
•
A person who is summoning medical or other emergency help if no other person in the vehicle is capable of summoning help;
•
A person using a mobile communication device for the purpose of farming or agricultural operations;
•
A person operating an ambulance or emergency vehicle;
•
A person 18 years of age or older who is using a hands-free accessory (a device that when used allows the driver to maintain both hands on the steering wheel);
•
A person operating a motor vehicle while providing public safety services or emergency services as a volunteer;
•
A person operating a motor vehicle while acting in the scope of the person's employment as a public safety officer, as defined in ORS 348.270;
•
A person operating a motor vehicle in the scope of the person's employment if operation of the motor vehicle is necessary for the person's job;
•
A person activating or deactivating the mobile communication device or a function of the device (note: dialing is considered the same as texting and is not a "function of the device);
•
A person who holds a valid amateur radio operator license issued or any other license issued by the Federal Communications Commission and is operating an amateur radio;
•
A person who operates a two-way radio device that transmits radio communication transmitted by a station operating on an authorized frequency within the citizens' or family radio service bands in accordance with rules of the Federal Communications Commission;
•
A person using a function of the mobile communication device that allows for only one-way voice communication while the person is:
Operating a motor vehicle in the scope of the person's employment;
Providing transit services to persons with disabilities or to senior citizens; or
Participating in public safety or emergency service activities.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews