JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I noticed online it said you need to reserve any rentals, because they aren't kept on site. do you just give them a call and let them know? Also, does anyone know what they are charging for 9mm and 22lr?

Edit: also, the cost of 20 gauge. I only ask because when I was up in Idaho a few years ago, I went to a range and ammo was expensive, even for 22lr, though they made up for that by renting guns by caliber, instead of by gun.

They have the rentals there. Its about $20 a piece just to get in. Went once with my dad, the place is less than decent. A dump actually. The "rangemaster" was rude to all the shooters and seemed to enjoy being a jerk. I'll never go there again. Worth the drive to go elsewhere.

Moktharaka,

It really makes us envious of the people that live out in the country and can just go out on their back porch, relax, and enjoy shooting.

Was at the English Pit once and wasn't really impressed. I do believe it is important to not be too picky though and support local shooting ranges because they are a dying breed.

I would sure love to move out somewhere where I would be allowed to go out and shoot whenever I want.

I wish I lived in the woods... one day maybe I will, when I am done with all my school. But I like taking long drives, and being in the woods. I have only been to an actual shooting range once when I was younger, while in vacation in Idaho, because I saw an ad saying they had an MP5 you could rent. Other than that I have always went into the woods.

I have been to the pit a few times usually to try out a few new reloads. I haven't had any problems with the pit masters. They do try to keep it as safe as possible. Some days you may have to wait around a while to get a lane to shoot. I don't have any experience renting any weapons though. They are stingy with brass collection. What you shoot is what you can collect. I even offered to buy some off them once since they told me they collect it and recycle but was refused. I would rather go to the woods and shoot though.

I used to go fairly often until I got my membership @ TCGC (bit of a drive, but worth it).

One of the few ranges that are open to the public all week and the only outdoor range in the area that I am aware of that offers rentals.

Condition of the rentals does vary and I've had both very good and very, very bad experiences -- both with rifles and with handguns. However, their selection is fairly decent but you do want to call the day before to ask for a firearm to be available.

Also, last time I went and rented @ the Pit, the reservation was not by name but for the firearm...so it is possible that you may have to wait when you arrive to get the one that you asked to rent.

I shoot there all the time and have never had a problem there, its really makes me wonder about the people who do. I rented about 4 different handguns there when i was in the market for a new gun back in Feb. and Randy (the owner) spent a great deal of time going over all that he had to help me with my choice as for reserving, you only really need to do that to make sure the one you want is at th erange when you go. They bring a wide selection to the range each day but not every gun they have. As for ammo prices, they are alittle high but not Cheaper Than Dirt high.

go there often. Have always found range masters and other shooters friendly and helpful. weekdays are less busy, sometimes I will be the only one there. My experience has been positive. Never rented so no experience with that aspect. YMMV

They have the rentals there. Its about $20 a piece just to get in. Went once with my dad, the place is less than decent. A dump actually. The "rangemaster" was rude to all the shooters and seemed to enjoy being a jerk. I'll never go there again. Worth the drive to go elsewhere.

That pretty much sums it up. Why it's called English I have no idea, but the place is definitely a PIT.

I have been many times, it's no fancy.. Or nice place however it is an available range. With no membership there is limited income so ya get what ya pay for. I have never had as issue with staff only other shooters. I have had to be more cautious there than other ranges.

That pretty much sums it up. Why it's called English I have no idea, but the place is definitely a PIT.

It's called the Pit because the shooting range is built inside the bowl of a mined-out gravel pit.

The reason it's called the English pit is because the land upon which the shooting range, and the huge gravel mine operation to west, and old estate house & barn that is now a winery further west still, is because it was once a huge 600+ acre farm owned by a family whose last name was "English". In the early days of Clark county (late 1800's up to the turn-of-the-century), the English farm was a huge operation with 1000's of prune trees. The farmhouse and barn are still there today as part of the winery on 1rst street. There was a huge icestorm around 1918 that destroyed most of the prune trees in the area, and hit the English farm very hard. The farm was divided into smaller farms sometime after that, and eventually all of the land got sold probably sometime in the 50's.

-Thirtycal

1. You are talking old history on the "long gone" range masters!!

2. They are in the process of doing major improvements right now. They have a new lease from the county, which they were waiting for before doing any improvements

I live two miles away and use it very often with no problems. $20 and that covers you for all day.
So if you want to leave and go out for lunch and come back you are good.
You also get a punch card for x-amount of entry's then get a free range day..

Some of you seem to be very quick to try and damage a family business with either rumors or just a bad day. (<:}-

I also had some bad times with the old range offices and reported the problems and they were corrected..

Just say'n...

*** Also weekdays are best.

I went down on Thursday with my wife and we ran the pistol range since we were the only ones there. It's a great outdoor range, friendly staff and at almost $20 for all day access, a steal compared to ranges where you have to buy their ammo or pay to shoot your own. They are doing maintenance this next week but after it's done, I'll be back there.

it is what it is, but its in town and most important a SAFE place to shoot, I have only had good experiences with the staff but I try to avoid
the weekends to many people and there is a wait, seems like there is more folks with guns and less places to shoot anymore so im
happy its open to shoot at.

l like the English Pit. The most important thing for me is that they watch you like a hawk for safety without acting being overly strict. If you forget and touch something on the bench you will get a stern reminder, or two. One guy on my shelter left his AR-15 ready to rock while the range was safe. He got a VERY stern reminder from the RSO. I think I would have tossed him for that one. I usually went there 2-3 time per year until recently.

English was a bit far for me from Oregon City and I wanted to do more shooting and frankly 100 yards got boring. I recently joined the Douglas Ridge Rifle Club in Estacada and I love it. It is about $15 month and you have to put in 8 hours a year or buy out but it is a nice range and everyone keeps everyone else honest in a friendly way and it is rarely as crowded as the Pit. Some Saturdays I have had the 100/200 range to myself.

There is the 100/200 range, tactical shotgun bay, silhouette range, 300/600/1000 yard range, indoor pistol range and lots more. Suggest you check it out next hunter sight in day.

I just shot USPSA at Douglas Ridge this past Saturday and you are right it is a very nice range. I would look into joining it if I didn't live just down the street from the Pit and over 40 mins from Douglas. That being said I am still thinking about Douglas.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top