JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 334064

In all seriousness... Im not certain what the best solution is for this but I do know that there is zero reason to text and drive, I cant imagine losing a loved one because someone just had to reply there is no justification for that.

does anyone know if texting and driving deaths are more than drunk driving deaths? I wonder what the comparison is between those...

I think it would be hard to say. Texting while driving incidents seem to be seriously under-reported. (Hide the phone quick!)
There was an incident I read about last year in which someone was in court for vehicular manslaughter: they were convicted.
In that state, though, there is an additional penalty for texting while driving that results in injury/death. Victim's family was outraged because the defense successfully argued that although, yes, phone records clearly show the driver/defendant was sending and receiving text messages 20 seconds before the accident there was no evidence that he was texting at the exact moment of impact.

So sleep soundly knowing that if you or your loved ones die due to a texting driver that person will be punished to the Full Extent of The Law. (Insert Sarcasm Alert smiley here)

I also don't know all the answers.

I ride a motorcycle a lot. Riders have the opportunity to see the driver and the vehicle separately. Not only do we see movements in the vehicle, we see what the driver is up to. Too many times, we see folks with their faces buried in their phone, at the same time the vehicle is unable to remain in its lane. It is incredible to me, the high percentage of drivers I see that are looking at their lap and texting.

WAYNO.

Curious as to how this affects use of GPS. Even if it's built into the dash, you still need to touch the screen several times to activate and input a destination. If it's a stand alone GPS, or your phone, you still need to make the same inputs. Phones accept voice input, but you still need several touches to open the app.
Pull over and stop the car or truck don't do it moving problem solved

I also don't know all the answers.

I ride a motorcycle a lot. Riders have the opportunity to see the driver and the vehicle separately. Not only do we see movements in the vehicle, we see what the driver is up to. Too many times, we see folks with their faces buried in their phone, at the same time the vehicle is unable to remain in its lane. It is incredible to me, the high percentage of drivers I see that are looking at their lap and texting.

WAYNO.

I know you guys see everything we do inside our cars. It's easier to do that when you are passing in between 2 cars and riding on the shoulder by the divider to squeeze past..:eek:

I found some statistics on texting and driving. 1.6 million car crashes a year in the US involving cell phone use, 500,000 injuries, 6,000 fatalities. Statistics

Another study showed that driving drunk is actually greatly safer than texting and driving sober. Texting While Driving: How Dangerous is it? - Feature

I see people driving all the time while using their phones, I concur it's a huge problem. I get that there is a risk in life in everything, any day we or our loved ones can die in an auto accident that are always preventable. But I think there is a huge difference between someone who didn't check their blind spot clear enough, forgot their blinker, didn't see something at night etc. than someone who just had to reply to a text when there will never ever be a reason to be using a phone while driving. This makes as much sense and watching a movie while driving.

We made drunk driving extremely stiff penalties years ago and its reduced fatalities. Tell me again why we shouldn't consider stiffer penalties for texting and driving which is proving to be just as if not more deadly?

I think we should keep it simple: you get caught on your phone while driving and the cop can confiscate it on the spot. You can pick it up in a week from the precinct. :eek::eek:

For somebody who can't be without their phone for more than 5 minutes, that'll hurt waaaayyyy worse than a fine would. ;)

How are you going to get the cop to turn over his/her phone????

In the mean time, we have a local news station talking to a reporter who is on his phone and showing cell phone video while he's driving down the road in the ice storm. He comes up with how dangerous it is to be driving and how hard it is to get a shot of the off ramp he just passed. He was driving so couldn't pan all the way out the passenger side window. But he sure gave it a good try. :confused:

One little problem standing in your way is that pesky little Constitution, and the 300+ million privately held firearms in the hands of Americans right now.

Driving is *not* a right - whereas owning a firearm is. A highly intelligent person wouldn't need reminded of such.

And this is a possible future leo. :s0153:

And this is a possible future leo. :s0153:

I seriously doubt it. But sadly - there are a bunch of cops that DO have this idea. I know a couple of deputies in Washington County that have made statements to the effect that they would prefer not to carry a gun, but the job mandates it. I guess they like the power of being a cop, but not the responsibilities, and don't see the dangers as all that real o_O Not sure why these types don't just become dog catchers, meter maids, or or whatnot.

o_O
I seriously doubt it. But sadly - there are a bunch of cops that DO have this idea. I know a couple of deputies in Washington County that have made statements to the effect that they would prefer not to carry a gun, but the job mandates it. I guess they like the power of being a cop, but not the responsibilities, and don't see the dangers as all that real o_O Not sure why these types don't just become dog catchers, meter maids, or or whatnot.

Not "meter maid" (meter man?) .
It's "parking enforcement officer".
Or just go with what I call 'em if I get a ticket...
It's colorful AND gender neutral. o_O

Naturally - what one dumbass pol in one Green Coast state comes up with, the others mimic or try to outdo. Guess if you're like me and you use your phone for navigation purposes at work, you're kind of screwed.

And yet, the "unwoke" to repurpose a SJW phrase, won't stand up and say anything and won't tell their legislators that this is BS.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top