JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
fired out of a CZ Model 455 Varmint a few days back in the Republic of Ireland -

Lot No 40142 Rev B
MRP 8202029

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg
Thanks to Benny, whose rifle it was, and who generously provided the image.

Hmm.... wonder if the chambers opened up a little too much. I've seen that happen on occasion though pretty rarely, the brass is uber thin on some of those HMR's.

One wouldn't think you'd get that kind of case expansion unless there's a little xtra room in the chamber. Any issues w/any other HMR ammo? Has he ever had a lot do that before? Maybe the cases are slightly undersized? Not sure what you're representative sample is from, the whole box, one mag, or ?? I guess some precision measuring might prove out something, then again, maybe not.....

Not much help, good luck.

Strange. Both of my 17's love this ammo. Never had a problem with it. About 5 months ago, bi-mart had a sale on this for $7.99/box and i bought 2,000 rounds. If i havent shot it all up yet, ill check lot numbers. Im suspect of the chamber that split the brass in the op.

When the R.204 first came out, of course there was no brass to reload, so I bought 10 - twenty rd boxes Winchester loads. Everyone split like the picture...in fact, checking a box (unfired) 1/3 of the necks were already split-in the box. I'm sure the problem came from brittle brass- either no or improper annealing of the new case. Since than I've gotten into wildcats, involving a whole new level of reloading. Annealing is a big part of the program...when you work-harden brass, as in forming a new case, you need anneal. If you don't, cases look like the picture. Side note , Winchester brass,etc., is just crap. No W on my bench anymore.

@tac is this a new gun and these the first rounds fired, or a used gun with a good track record??
I had the same failures with my .257 wildcat project and it turned out to be that the brass was too work-hardened from re-forming it. Annealing cured the problem. From that I'm guessing that Federal either changed composition of their brass or else changed their forming method and wound up with brass that is too hard.

WP_20181220_003.jpg

I've seen this happen with .17HMR. Every time, it's been with Federal or Winchester.

We only use CCI or Hornady now and never see it anymore.

Variety of rifles.

How old is the rifle?

I ask as I recall reading up about how 17hmr in its founding days was chambered differently in Europe and the US until Hornady establishes the set standards.

Perhaps that's the cause?

Hmm.... wonder if the chambers opened up a little too much. I've seen that happen on occasion though pretty rarely, the brass is uber thin on some of those HMR's.

One wouldn't think you'd get that kind of case expansion unless there's a little xtra room in the chamber. Any issues w/any other HMR ammo? Has he ever had a lot do that before? Maybe the cases are slightly undersized? Not sure what you're representative sample is from, the whole box, one mag, or ?? I guess some precision measuring might prove out something, then again, maybe not.....

Not much help, good luck.

New gun last year. ALL CZ rifles conform to CIP dimensions. Here, ALL problems like this have been with Federal or Winchester cartridges. One of our shooters found all 50 in a packet with split necks.

New gun last year. ALL CZ rifles conform to CIP dimensions. Here, ALL problems like this have been with Federal or Winchester cartridges. One of our shooters found all 50 in a packet with split necks.

Please straighten me out. Did the shooter find all 50 split in the pack (unfired)? Or all 50 were fired and they all split?

Thanks, Tac!

Interesting, if it's worth anything I've shot this stuff out of mine with no issues. Savage B17 FVSR.

I'll keep an eye out with future use with this ammo. Though after field trials I found three CCI ammos that my gun prefers so I'm not too sure if I'll ever shoot any more than I already bought.

Interesting, if it's worth anything I've shot this stuff out of mine with no issues. Savage B17 FVSR.

I'll keep an eye out with future use with this ammo. Though after field trials I found three CCI ammos that my gun prefers so I'm not too sure if I'll ever shoot any more than I already bought.
You know what they say about advise. With a little experience, everyone will find out on their own. Ever try to give your kids advise, to save them some misery?

When the R.204 first came out, of course there was no brass to reload, so I bought 10 - twenty rd boxes Winchester loads. Everyone split like the picture...in fact, checking a box (unfired) 1/3 of the necks were already split-in the box. I'm sure the problem came from brittle brass- either no or improper annealing of the new case. Since than I've gotten into wildcats, involving a whole new level of reloading. Annealing is a big part of the program...when you work-harden brass, as in forming a new case, you need anneal. If you don't, cases look like the picture. Side note , Winchester brass,etc., is just crap. No W on my bench anymore.
Read again, with special attn to last two sentences.

Please straighten me out. Did the shooter find all 50 split in the pack (unfired)? Or all 50 were fired and they all split?

Thanks, Tac!

He opened a pack he'd just bought from the LGS and every one was split at the neck. He did NOT try to shoot them. THIS was in the yUK, the pics I showed were in the Republic of Ireland. They were fine until he shot them - they looked like that on ejection.

CIP and SAAMI do not always agree dimensionally. Savage rifles are made in the USA and hopefully conform to the SAAMI recommendations. CZ are made in the Czech Republic and conform to CIP specs. I don't know what either are as my SAAMI data references do not include the more recent calibres like .17HMR.

Can anyone here help me out with them?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads