JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All my rat buddies only use Hornady.17hmr. Most trouble free. Some problems for semi-auto feeding with cci. Far as Winchester, their problems are well documented on shooting forums. My last experience with them, I bought 6 100rd bags of new .22H brass from SW in OR a couple years ago to remanufacture into .17H. I annealed each new piece on forming, just like I've done on thousands of pieces of every brand. I started with doing only one bag (100). Same way with same load I do it. At the first 12 fired, the cases all split...the rest got reduced back to parts. The other 5 bags? Back to SW. I told them, but that doesn't mean they didn't put it back on the shelf. My last experience with anything W.

CIP and SAAMI do not always agree dimensionally. Savage rifles are made in the USA and hopefully conform to the SAAMI recommendations. CZ are made in the Czech Republic and conform to CIP specs. I don't know what either are as my SAAMI data references do not include the more recent calibres like .17HMR.

Can anyone here help me out with them?

Tac, is this what you are looking for?

Cartridge & Chamber Drawings – SAAMI

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Z299-1_ANSI-SAAMI_Rimfire.pdf#page=8

A lot of history and documentation about this issue on the RimfireCentral.com forum. Mostly annealing issues with older lots, Winchester seems to have a lot of issues also. Good luck with it Tac.

Here's the SAAMI drawings

SAAMI 17HMR.jpg

Could very well be that the brass is substandard or hardened from the get go and since it's generally very thin I can understand where this could be a recurring issues. However I would also imagine since it's throw away rimfire brass that no one really gives a hoot if it's 'unusable' after being fired. I wouldn't think it would affect accuracy to any noticeable degree @ 17 HMR distances.

I certainly would be annoyed to see a brand new box w/split necks, pretty crappy QC. I've almost always shoot CCI A17 stuff and haven't noticed it happening w/them.

Somewhere I heard that 10 or 15 years ago, one of our regulatory agencies, made our bass manufacturers take out a critical component, that made brass what it used to be. Now there are problems with our all our domestic brass, Winchester being the worst. That's why guys pay the premium price for Lapua and Norma. I kinda like PRVI, made in Serbia.

Somewhere I heard that 10 or 15 years ago, one of our regulatory agencies, made our bass manufacturers take out a critical component, that made brass what it used to be. Now there are problems with our all our domestic brass, Winchester being the worst. That's why guys pay the premium price for Lapua and Norma. I kinda like PRVI, made in Serbia.

You are probably talking about lead, which was regulated out of brass used in (or possible to be used in) plumbing fittings.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top