JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone else have drops of red glue on the case of their HST ammo? It's the glue that they use around the bullet and the primer. it's spilled on the side of the case on some rounds.

I noticed some rounds of this ammo getting stuck in both guns I tried it in. "Stuck" means u can't eject it manually once chambered. Had to force it out via Hammer and rod down the barrel. For the rounds that have spilled glue, basically the case is no longer round (because of the "blobs" of glue) and Is thicker in the spot where the glue spots are. That's why they are getting stuck. If they load and are fired they eject ok for the ones I tried anyway.

Hmm, that's not good at all, especially considering it's touted as being a higher tier ammunition. Properly sealed primers and bullets are a good thing but good thing you caught this junk.

I bought a case of Lake City xm80 7.62x51 ammo in boxes, not loose, that the sealant had dripped down the side of most of the cartridges and got on the bullets. I called them and sent pictures. After a short period of negotiation, they replaced all of them and paid for the shipping. I bought some individual boxes later on with the same problem. I have since stopped buying them.

I bought a case of Lake City xm80 7.62x51 ammo in boxes, not loose, that the sealant had dripped down the side of most of the cartridges and got on the bullets. I called them and sent pictures. After a short period of negotiation, they replaced all of them and paid for the shipping. I bought some individual boxes later on with the same problem. I have since stopped buying them.

That sounds similar to this. Of the affected rounds, some have 1 or 2 drips but the worst one had a big run about 3/4 of the way down the case. The total # affected Is 14 in one 50 round box, 12 out of 50 in the other box.

I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to try to fight them for replacement. I might just try to remove the glue and shoot them and then never buy them again. It's too bad because the penetration and expansion on these is top notch.

This is the 124 grain version btw. No idea if problem is limited to 124 grain version or could be just a bad production run affecting limited number of boxes.?

I've not encountered that issue, you made me go look through my stash, and I can confirm none found. I'd certainly contact Federal, give them the lot number from the inside flap of the box and request they make good on their sub-par premium ammunition.

I'm running 147's in 9mm and 240's in .45 ACP.

I've not encountered that issue, you made me go look through my stash, and I can confirm none found. I'd certainly contact Federal, give them the lot number from the inside flap of the box and request they make good on their sub-per premium ammunition.
That's good news. It's worth checking being that it's carry ammo.

That sounds similar to this. Of the affected rounds, some have 1 or 2 drips but the worst one had a big run about 3/4 of the way down the case. The total # affected Is 14 in one 50 round box, 12 out of 50 in the other box.

I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to try to fight them for replacement. I might just try to remove the glue and shoot them and then never buy them again. It's too bad because the penetration and expansion on these is top notch.

This is the 124 grain version btw. No idea if problem is limited to 124 grain version or could be just a bad production run affecting limited number of boxes.?
Lacquer thinner or in a pinch, acetone (fingernail polish remover) will remove it.

I spot check my rounds when I get new boxes and check each round before I load them into my magazines. 124 grain HSTs are my favorite defensive round and have more than a thousand. I have never seen this problem yet, but may do another spot check. I hope that Federal does you right.

not long ago online retailers like target sports had hst 9mm at 50% off I wounder if a bunch of blems made it to market ?
when did you buy this ammo and is it a 50rnd box ?
just curious

not long ago online retailers like target sports had hst 9mm at 50% off I wounder if a bunch of blems made it to market ?
when did you buy this ammo and is it a 50rnd box ?
just curious
Yes these were a recent purchase from target sports at 50% off. I'll put a warning on the great deals thread on it.

Last Edited:
+1 for lacquer thinner.

It's just easier than the folderol of returning it or otherwise trying to get some kind of adjustment. Unless your talking about a large quantity.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top