JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, October 1st is fast upon us, and it is International Coffee Day. While I am not familiar with the origins, the subject matter is quite notable. For example, this year I've been drinking coffee and smoking cigars to the point I suspect it is a major factor in the economies of Columbia and the Dominican Republic, respectively. :s0155:

OK, jokes aside, we do have a number of boozy threads and at least one dedicated to cee-gars, how about one for favorite caffeine delivery methods? Coffee in all of its delightful forms, tea of various kinds, yerba-maté, cola, energy drinks, et al., what's your pick and how is it prepared?

Enjoy!

P.S. @Andy54Hawken has opined in the past something to the effect of "Coffee: saving students one cup at a time." After conferring with my better half, she confirmed this analysis is most certainly accurate.

I tend to switch back and forth from flavored coffee to tea. Earl Gray and Constant Comment when its tea. Decades back I made the mistake of trying some fancy coffee from one of the coffee places here. Ruined me on plain coffee any more unless I have not had my fix and all I can get is the plain stuff. At that point its suddenly fine :D
My normal drink is that International Coffee made with milk instead of water. To me beats any of the coffee shacks stuff at about 1/10th the price.

Coffee....
Saving the lives of students , one cup at a time...:D

I love a good cup of coffee.
Be it over an open camp fire at hunting camp...or at my desk at school.
Light roast , dark roast....both work for me...just want a good , hot , fresh cup of Joe.
Andy

Over the course of the past 10 years, I have cut out milk and creamer in my coffee. I really wanted to taste the coffee and just add sugar.

Especially since we have a lot of roasters here in the Westside, I went to find which flavors I preferred. I'd actually ask the corner coffee shops who supplied their beans.

At home the number of coffee drinkers decreased because kids moving out so we eventually got rid of our coffee maker and only used the Aeropress.

Earlier this year, we were in Bennett Farms Store in Hillsboro and they mentioned the fact that a bur grinder was actually better and that the old crank grinders used this method. About a month ago, I found the Baratza Virtuoso at Goodwill for $99. This thing retails for $250 and for $30 in replacement parts I get it up and running like new... saving $120.

A bur grind really does make a difference. Enough of a difference that I bought a hand crank one for camping.

So, here are my preferred caffeine intake:

At home or camp, bur grind fresh beans, use Aeropress and sugar.

Traveling, Starbucks Pikes Place or the Blonde drip coffee with sugar or peppermint mocha. Why Starbucks? They are consistent, no matter where. If you don't travel out side of the PNW, you would not believe how hard it is to get a decent cup of Joe. Also, I've owned the stock since the 90s.

The other occasional method is a rum & coke... but then it's not really because of the caffeine.

Another vote for a French Press and a hand crank...Mmm...This might end up in that other thread...:eek: :D

I use a old fashioned hand cranked coffee grinder when hunting / camping...and tin lined coffee pot for the fire...yum.
Andy

I don't care about Starbucks-like "barista" coffee cuz it's overpriced and I don't like to wait. However,

For those who like top quality for the least $, I'm passing along my research and experience on this stuff here fyi (feel free to ignore). FYI u can literally get the same super fine grind using one of these $66 machines that does the same as the $1100-$1500 ones. Note that you can buy the same burr grinding discs for the $1500 machines on eBay if you want and put in this machine (about $40 or so, not worth it to me personally).

For the above grinder take out the screw for the dial and adjust it to grind finer to make a powder like grind. Or u can make it infinitely adjustable by removing the plastic disc as shown in this video:

Also this budget real espresso maker (by "real" I mean 15 bar pressure) which has almost no wait when starting in morning and quality/design is excellent:

Looks like Amazon not selling it now but target and other stores had it for $99 not that long ago. All just fyi and there may be others that are just as good. Pay attention to the warm up time though some espresso machines (Fe some delonghi) take 15 min to warm up before you can make coffee. The one above I would say takes about 30 seconds or so. You can also put a regular coffee cup under it and stop it when u want (ie it's semi automatic, some machines make only a small measured amount of coffee).

Last Edited:
My brother -in- law owns Variance coffee. Though coffee and I don't usually get along, I've been making cold brew a lot lately with some of their roasts. Most of the time though, I stick with a white gummy bear or orange dreamsicle Reign. 300mg of caffeine, no sugar, and they aren't super acidic like the rest of the energy drinks. I've found it also does wonders for my ADHD to just sip on one of those throughout the morning.

We have a Illy iperespresso machine, big fan of the espresso from it.

We also like G7, it's instant coffee from Vietnam, very good for instant, contains sweetener and creamer, and fairly inexpensive on Amazon or the local Asian market.

Also agree cold brew is good, we have a Toddy for that. We also have a Technivorm Moccamaster, a fancy drip machine. Doesn't make coffee any better than a $20 Mr. Coffee, but it'll probably last forever. The cold and hot drip we grind freshly roasted beans, just whatever smells good.

1664559403760.png

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
The coffee itself: Costco Supremo. It's really high quality and a yuge value. Great flavor and low acid.

Creamer: a splash of whole milk until it's the right color. No freaking flavors, powders, dumbass highly processed liquid creamers.

Occasional extra: Coconut oil, the ultimate early morning energy boost.

Primary Delivery Method: Keureg with dark brew option. Coffee goes in reusable K-cup. Total perfection for coffee flavored coffee.

Secondary Delivery Method: Backup Keureg (two is one and one is none). Cheaper model that works like a hotel version.

Tertiary Delivery Method: Coleman Coffee Maker I can use directly on a propane burner. Requires coffee filter but a paper towel will work in a pinch.

If all else fails: Dutch Bros house coffee. No amount of caffeine deficiency will get me into a Starbucks.

I have been roasting my own coffee for years. I buy green beans from several suppliers and my wife and I drink something different each week. I get beans from all over the world, processed in different ways and it's crazy what a contrast there is in taste. I bought a commercial espresso machine with a timer about 15 years ago and plumbed it in so it's all warmed up every morning. It really sucks when I have to travel as I rarely find a decent cup anywhere. I have added "coffee snob" to my ever growing list of snobbery.

I have been roasting my own coffee for years. I buy green beans from several suppliers and my wife and I drink something different each week. I get beans from all over the world, processed in different ways and it's crazy what a contrast there is in taste. I bought a commercial espresso machine with a timer about 15 years ago and plumbed it in so it's all warmed up every morning. It really sucks when I have to travel as I rarely find a decent cup anywhere. I have added "coffee snob" to my ever growing list of snobbery.
YOU da man!!

We do Costco dark roast. Whole bean. Sometimes I splurge and get dark Sumatra at Winco. Can't taste anymore so it tastes the same fresh or 4 hours old. Energy drinks have become a norm for me. I just know their bad for me though. I swear the caffeine is not much different than back 40 years ago when it was cross-tops and I wasn't a coffee drinker. Though THAT wasn't an every day thing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top