Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Father shoots and kills 20yr old daughter hunting OR

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by clearconscience, Oct 31, 2014.

1. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

This should never happen and being a father of a daughter I wouldn't/couldn't live with myself.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...hter-apparent-hunting-accident-police-n238041

This happened a few years ago in the same area with a grandfather and grandson.

Just makes me sick and with proper sportsman safety should never happen.
    It's amazing the amount of people killed because someone doesn't identify their target

2. Monica Cowles

Monica Cowles Grays Harbor, Washington Member, NRA (Life) USCCA, ACLDN, SAF (Life) Staff Member Silver Supporter

Heartbreaking.......:(

Caveman Jim and U201491 like this.
  3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Dang..... To me, that's a fate worse than death for any parent. :(

4. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

The worst thing that could happen to anyone. :(

5. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Yeah - at that point I would eat my gun.

I live for my daughter - if I accidentally took her life I wouldn't have anything left to live for.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  6. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

This makes it even worse.

7. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

I hunted in roseburg for the last weekend of general, apparently the trooper was the game warden for the region.

8. Krttrs

Krttrs New Member

Yep,
    I heard North Umpqua / Diamond lake was his region, tho
    Rumor is he already had his tag filled And was hunting without permission behind locked gate !
    It was big LEO convention out Clarks Branch Road that afternoon

9. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Could have been a case of poor muzzle control. There's a reason they say NEVER point a gun at something you're not willing to destroy. Never means not ever, not that it's okay when you're poking around the woods or getting a rifle out of a truck or cleaning a firearm. Never.

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  10. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

Sad.... This is exactly why my family has been taught by me to treat ALL of our firearms as if they CAN take a life at any time while being handled and ALWAYS verbally communicate firearm safety steps while handling any firearm while alone or in the presence of anyone else regardless of who hey are. It only takes a few minutes and the kids are more than happy to take time to communicate safety.

11. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Yep brings things into perspective as I have a 20 YOA daughter who I shoot with regularly and I absolutely HAMMER gun safety into her, and her boyfriend. I underestimated him at first with regard to gun safety but I have no issues - he is probably as aware as me, or at least as much as me with a constant regard for it. While hunting draws on different disciplines for safety there is still no excuse for poor muzzle control or target identification - if it ain't a game animal identified 110% DON'T SHOOT! I once held off on about a 20 yard shot with a bow because my hunting partner was about 15 yards to the right at maybe 45 degrees to the deer - but that wasn't enough for me!

Barefoot African likes this.