JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ubiquitous facial recognition technology can expose individuals' political orientation, as faces of liberals and conservatives consistently differ. A facial recognition algorithm was applied to naturalistic images of 1,085,795 individuals to predict their political orientation by comparing their similarity to faces of liberal and conservative others. Political orientation was correctly classified in 72% of liberal–conservative face pairs, remarkably better than chance (50%), human accuracy (55%), or one afforded by a 100-item personality questionnaire (66%). Accuracy was similar across countries (the U.S., Canada, and the UK), environments (Facebook and dating websites), and when comparing faces across samples. Accuracy remained high (69%) even when controlling for age, gender, and ethnicity. Given the widespread use of facial recognition, our findings have critical implications for the protection of privacy and civil liberties.

And the article urges law enforcement and social media to use this information as well as for it to be used for persuasion purposes.

Well, I can't see one way this can be abused.......:s0077:

Guys and gals, I have known this for years.

My co-workers and I came up with a term for it about 10 years ago: "D-face". "D" for democrat.
Very easy to spot:
-vacant eyes
-slight fear in body language when approaching real men
-avoid eye contact
-generalized wandering
-never says "thank you" when holding a door open
-may wear "ironic" eyeglasses

I am 99% effective at spotting D-face, no need for AI algorithm.

I'm pretty sure it looks like this:

OIP.jpg

Guys and gals, I have known this for years.

My co-workers and I came up with a term for it about 10 years ago: "D-face". "D" for democrat.
Very easy to spot:
-vacant eyes
-slight fear in body language when approaching real men
-avoid eye contact
-generalized wandering
-never says "thank you" when holding a door open
-may wear "ironic" eyeglasses

I am 99% effective at spotting D-face, no need for AI algorithm.
You forgot the innate look of self-righteous condescension.
:)

One has little control of physical facial features. As for being profiled, most people are already pretty good at flying multiple "flags" while completely unaware (or maybe they fly them on purpose).
Either way, personal privacy, in my opinion, is a modern social ILLUSION. Beware of the thought police. Don't get sent to the Ministry of Love.

One has little control of physical facial features.
True. But in this study, most of the facial features used were what the authors classified as "transient" (facial hair, glasses, expression, et al.) Therefore they could be changed.

What amazes me is that approx. 100,000 facebook users voluntarily provided their information and took a 100 question personality assessment in exchange for nothing more than the results of their personality assessment. Even more amazing is that a "popular dating website" provided personal information and images of approx. 1,000,000 users, in exchange for what?? $$$ maybe?. I wonder if the users realized the terms of service they consented to permitted this. I doubt it. Who reads terms of service, right?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top