JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Building a Model 7 in 260 Rem.
Wanting recommendations on compact style scopes.
This rifle will be my primary deer rifle. Shots less than 300 yards.
Budget around $1000
Thanks for any advice
I see post about NightForce and Trijicon. Both are heavy and not very compact for a mod 7 to be shot at less than 300 yards. Why not a 2.5-8x36 vx3 HD or a Swarovski 3-9x36 or 2.5-10x42. You simply don't need more than that and you won't be twisting knobs at less that 300 yards

I did have a Leopold 3-9x40 and liked it so much that I took it off and put on a old Nikon 4-12x40 with the Bdc and works fine my model seven is the varmint in 243 . I did change the nightmare of a mount that was on it and replaced in with a DNZ one piece mount and did remedy accuracy issues .

Last Edited:
New? Can't help ya.

Better than new? Leupold's 3x9 Compact (later called "Ultralight"). Best scope they ever made for rifles that aren't huge. A.O. versions were made as well. All past tense, so it's Ebay or Gun Shows.

FYI: The word is out on these, supply is drying up and prices are soaring.

( I think I just shot myself in the foot.)

Oh man, this is an interesting question. I grew up hunting with a Model 7 .243 wearing a Leupold Vari-X 3-9x42 and it was a great lightweight woods rifle. Far from the best glass I've use (in fact likely some of the worst), so looking at this from the perspective of the best glass possible in the lightest/most compact package while hitting your budget, ignoring reticle and turrets for the moment, here is what I would look at:
Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42
Meopta R1 3-10x50 or 3-12x56
Swaro Z5 2.4-12x50
Zeiss V4 3-12x44

If you're willing to go used to open up your selection for discontinued and/or more expensive options I would add these to consideration:
Meopta R2 1.7-10x42 or 2.5-15x56
Swaro Z4i 2.5-10x56 or 3-12x50
Zeiss V6 2-12x50
Leica Magnus 1.5-10x42 or 2.4-16x56
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42
Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x42

My wife has a Ruger Compact that I mounted a Leupold Vari-X II 2-7x33 on, then later switched to a VX-R 2-7x33. The VX-R is on a 30mm tube and has the Firedot reticle, which is a Duplex with an illuminated dot in the center. By the time I was looking for the VX-R it had been discontinued, but I found it new on e-bay. The VX-R is a little heavier than the Compact, but it's insignificant.
I put the Compact on my 600 (first pic).
Second pic is the Ruger Compact , center, with the Leupold Compact on it. The scope on the Savage 99 on the right is a Leupold 3-9x40. Great comparison of size.

sighting in.jpg big n small.jpg

Little rifles need little scopes. This should preclude any 30mm tube (and CERTAINLY 50mm objectives: a dubious "advantage" seldom realized even when applied elsewhere).

1677348256848.jpeg
"Little Rifles" include (top to bottom): Remington Model 600 Mohawk .222 Remington, Remington Model 700 Classic .250-3000 Savage, Remington Model 700 Classic 7mm-08 Remington, Ruger Model 77/357 re-barreled to .256 Winchester Magnum, Interarms Mini Mauser MKX .25 PPC.

Each carries a Leupold 3x-9x Compact (Ultralight) scope. The .250 and the .25PPC exhibit the Adjustable Objective.

All great examples. I agree @Spitpatch. I bought a NF SHV 3-10x42. I just can't get used to the weight and balance of this scope. I have a Browning Low wall .260 that has a Leupold VX3 2.5-8. I feel these more compact scopes are made for the Model 7. I do like the idea of the lighted reticle.

Having said earlier that I may be of little use regarding advice on new scopes, I now recall that I did recently find an economical, yet very impressive "Little Scope":

1677349677104.jpeg

CZ Model 527 American .17 Hornet. Burris "Timberline" 4.5-14x.

This gun has seen two seasons of hard work in the Dog Towns and the scope is a fine complement. I don't know how they cram all that power range into this little optic (same dimensions as the Leupold Compact), but the engineering of that I believe shows up at 14x: Crystal sharp image, but very critical eye relief range at that setting.

My only complaint.

Vortex Viper PST Gen II 2-10x32. $800. Light, clear and perfect for your distances. Illuminated reticle for low light too. I prefer this scope on my 6.5 Creedmoor over my longer distance but heavy Nightforce SHV 4-14x56.

Last Edited:
Vortex Viper PST Gen II 2-10x32. $800. Light, clear and perfect for your distances. Illuminated reticle for low light too. I prefer this scope on my 6.5 Creedmoor over my longer distance but heavy Nightforce SHV 4-14x56.
Intrigued by your suggestion, I took a look at this scope. BINGO!....

Except: And the following, if not obvious, is my personal opinion and preferences (a short time ago someone took issue when I expressed an opinion and did not preface with "in my opinion").

That little scope is a gem. Perfect power range, perfect size. But I cannot abide or tolerate the tall, sharp-edged "tactical" turrets or the glaring white paragraphs and sub-chapters of white numerical symbols written all over them. For an AR/MSR gun, or a chassis-based military-styled long range gun, all this is fine.

For a conventional bolt-action hunting rifle, especially in the walnut/blue presentations, scopes such as this look like an army boot on a ballet dancer, with the added feature of flashy reading material.

Exposed sight-adjustment dials can never be acceptable or practical in the hunting field, certainly for those who hunt hard and far. There is a reason for dial covers. That reason has not gone away. Turrets that extend significantly from the scope body are bound to snag and bang on stuff (if not in a horse scabbard, then certainly coming out of a case or rack in a hurry).

Eye pieces that look like miniature shampoo bottles are much less appealing than a rounded, streamlined style that facilitates handling characteristics.

For a custom deer rifle in .260 Remington on a Model 7 action, Vortex gets a "close but no cigar" on this one. Now, if the OP clarifies that he's building a Silhouette or other target-disciplined gun, this little scope may be just the right ticket.

Turret complaint is a fair one. However, on the plus side they are easy to read and with my ballistics app (Stretlok) very quick to dial and get on target.

I don't know the "hunt hard and far" qualification but I'm a long-standing bow hunter and when I rifle hunt I hunt like one. That means hunt and stalk mostly.

I hunt the NW Coast (elk) and Southern Oregon (deer). Both terrains are reasonably steep and brushy. I'm not going in more than 5 miles anymore though with both knees replaced seven years ago and my seventh decade approaching in less than a year. So maybe that is not hard. However, I can only remember only one time my turrets moved and I think it due to me taking off my neoprene scope cover as opposed to brush causing it. Not saying your observations are without merit, just noting that they haven't been a problem for me yet during elk and deer seasons. And go Washington for allowing multi-season tags.

The exposed elevation turret (CDS dial) on the my VX-R is the only complaint I have. Electrical tape is the fix. The VX-R I bought for the wife's 7mm-08 has "normal" capped turrets.
The only time I used the dial was at an Appleseed event.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top