JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I built an AR10 in 308 with an 18" barrel last year and it's been sitting in the safe needing an optic.

I have no specific purpose for this gun other than possibly some hunting in an end of the world situation.

I would like something that would help it stretch its legs.

I am thinking maybe below $800

I have no idea on magnification, reticle, rings etc.

Thoughts, recommendations etc

Thanks

With optics its always best to know exactly what you want to use the rifle for.

So lets say your hunting situation arises, with a rifle you dont shoot much an affordable simple budge scope with simple duplex crosshair zeroed at 200yds will stretch your legs on a deer size target out to 300yds without much practice.
Look at Leupold, Vortex, Primary Arms in the 3-9x40 range and get a Warne cantilever scope mount to match the scope tube size and your good to go.

...what Koda said. You identify the intended use, blend in the capabilities of the rifle, sprinkle in your eyesight needs, reticle design and budget.

My Ruger 308 bolt gun has a Springfield Armory Govt zoom ... because the rifle doesn't deserve a fancy scope.

My Savage 308 bolt gun uses a Nightforce.

My FN FAL has the Trijicon ACOG

Leupold VX-3HD in 2.5-8 should cover 99.9% of what you'll need.
Don't scrimp on the rings/mount.

Forget LPVOs with an AR10, you want to be able to stretch the legs of the cartridge. An MPVO will give you great usability at close range but you won't sacrifice top-end performance.

For example, the 10x on a 1-10 is usually a very bad experience (or good with a horrid 1x, physics prevents them from being great simultaneously). The 10x on a 2-12 is a great experience and still usable at close range.

I recommend the Meopta Optika line. They're affordable and priced below their capability. Made in Czech Republic and use Schott glass.

I built an AR10 in 308 with an 18" barrel last year and it's been sitting in the safe needing an optic.

I have no specific purpose for this gun other than possibly some hunting in an end of the world situation.

Thanks
The new Leupold Mark 4HD line that they released a couple days ago is feature packed and contains multiple options that would work great on an AR10 depending on your primary use case. One of the 4.5 - 18's would work great except for CQB applications and get you to 1,000 yards easily.

Midway had the Vortex Viper PST II 5-25 for sale recently. $699 I think. They sell out fast.

FFP for ranging, zero stop + illuminated reticle.

I also second those who said SWFA. That is the clearest glass you can get at that price point.

Last Edited:
The new Leupold Mark 4HD line that they released a couple days ago is feature packed and contains multiple options that would work great on an AR10 depending on your primary use case. One of the 4.5 - 18's would work great except for CQB applications and get you to 1,000 yards easily.
OP is looking to spend under $800. Plus, I don't trust any Leupold other than the Mark 5HD to track reliably.

OP is looking to spend under $800. Plus, I don't trust any Leupold other than the Mark 5HD to track reliably.
One of the 2-10's will likely come close to that $800 price point when they start hitting dealers and street pricing comes about. You are correct that the 4.5 - 18 is not going to be close to an $800 budget at least not until used units start hitting the classifieds in a year.

What optic do you trust to track reliably with a budget of $800?

One of the 2-10's will likely come close to that $800 price point when they start hitting dealers and street pricing comes about. You are correct that the 4.5 - 18 is not going to be close to an $800 budget at least not until used units start hitting the classifieds in a year.

What optic do you trust to track reliably with a budget of $800?
Meopta Optika, Trijicon Tenmile, Vortex Viper PST seems to track well, Primary Arms stuff seems pretty decent (Glx line up), SWFA

I'll go a bit sideways compared to others fred and share what I did with my own AR-10 type rifle. In lieu of a typical rifle scope I mounted it with a Holosun HS510C combined with a 3X magnifier that can flip to the side. Can't say I know much about red dots, but this combo was recommended by the LGS when I told him my need and it results in 1 to 1.5 MOA at 100 yards, so that's plenty good enough for hunting west of cascades; use this rifle specifically for bear hunting. The fact that the combo cost less than I would have spent on a scope, and obviously far lighter in weight, helped that decision. Been with me in some rough wilderness and equally rough weather over the years, and never a hiccup so far. I know some may scoff at this combo on an AR-10 style rifle, but works just fine for me. A link to that combo per Amazon is shown below along with pic of how it's mounted on my rifle.
1705617564619.png

Thanks
have you checked out https://www.arkenopticsusa.com

I really haven't looked at much. Mostly been a red dot guy on my 15's so figured scope on the 10 just to be different and have options.

Lots of good options listed and I appreciate @clanhanson sharing info about 2-12 being better than 1-10. I do have an LPVO 1-8 on one of my pistols.

It looks like several recommendations for the SWFA as a cost to quality leader, so I will look at those.

Anyone have experience with something like this?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top