JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Taken from : Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

432 Mailability
432.1 General
Mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, all of the provisions of postal law in 18 U.S.C. 1715, and all other all federal and state regulations and local ordinances affecting the movement of firearms. The following also applies:

1. The Postal Service may require the mailer to open parcels containing firearms or air guns or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.
  2. Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.
  3. No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms.
  4. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1-7.
  5. Except for shipments between licensed dealers, manufacturers, or importers, all regulated firearms must be mailed using a USPS product or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns
Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

1. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when intended for delivery within the same state of mailing. These items must:
    1. Bear a "Return Service Requested" endorsement.
    2. Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  2. A rifle or shotgun owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner's state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the other state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:
    1. Be addressed to the owner.
    2. Include the "in the care of" endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.
    3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.
    4. Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  3. Mailing of rifles and shotguns between licensed FFL dealers, manufacturers, or importers are not restricted. The Postal Service recommends that these items be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  4. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  5. Except as described in 432.3a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  6. Firearms meeting the definition of a rifle or shotgun under 431.4 which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum, which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing without restriction when mailed between governmental museums.
  7. Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an adult signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
432.4 Indemnity Claims
When indemnity claims pertaining to regulated firearms are filed for loss or damage to contents, claims will only be paid for complete loss under either of the following conditions:

1. The regulated firearm has been lost, or
  2. When the mailer has provided reasonable estimates of the firearm's value and of repair cost from a reputable dealer, and the repair cost exceeds the declared and/or actual value of the firearm at the time of mailing.
433 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms
Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of firearms. Mailers requesting additional information should be referred to the ATF. Further advice and ATF contact information is available at ATF Home Page | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Taken From: 432 Mailability | Postal Explorer

I am NOT a lawyer and haven't slept at a Holiday Inn.

Aloha, Mark

PS...…WARNING....it's dumb but here it is. Are You Illegally Carrying Concealed at the Post Office? - USA Carry

Last Edited:
Thank you Mark.
The biggest debate was whether you shall (must) or may (optional) declare to the postal clerk that you are shipping a firearm.
I think it's now clear that declaration is optional.
The intent of my OP was to clarify the class of service you are required to use.
Many "informational" sites incorrectly state that "Priority Mail Express must be used."
Not so. You must use tracking, included in regular Priority Mail, and it gets the gun there faster and much cheaper than FedEx or UPS.

This applies ONLY to long guns (rifles). Handguns MUST be shipped by FFL. Period.

Shipped a firearm to another member here via USPS.
It was easy.

USPS Regs Here

What legal sites tell you is incorrect. They state you MUST use Priority Mail Express. Nope.
I will say, walking up to the clerks and saying, "I want to mail a firearm" produces a clear 'deer in the headlights' response.
Steps:
  1. Reach out to the FFL you are mailing it to and get a copy of their FFL certificate to present to the USPS clerk.
  2. Pack your gun properly, ensuring it is not loaded and no ammunition is in the box. You will need to include a front/back photocopy of your ID in with the firearm.
  3. Bring it in, boxed and sealed. There are no forms to fill out at the Post Office. They may ask to inspect, but that was not necessary for me today.
  4. Use Priority Mail, insure the firearm and pay for signature delivery.
  5. Get your receipt, notify the FFL and the party you are sending to.
All in all, it's easier to use a FFL to ship. In this instance, I saved $20 and it will get to the recipient in two days rather than a week.
About how much to ship a hunting rifle overall

Depends on the weight. Look up "Priority Mail, your own package". There is additional cost for packages over 12" dimensions, albeit minor.
IIRC, to ship that last rifle was < $17 including insurance. I think I valued the rifle at $375.
wow that's better then I thought . So it doesn't gotta go overnight correct since it's not a handgun? I had the worst experience last month I shipped a Milled ak pistol it weighed 23lbs with accessories my total came out to $200 plus .

Long guns may be shipped USPS by non-licensees to another non-licensee in the same State, or to a licensee in any State. There is no requirement to supply any information to USPS when lawfully shipping a long gun other than providing truthful answers to questions asked.

Shipping a handgun using USPS is only available to licensees. In most cases it's cheaper to pay an FFL to ship a handgun USPS than to pay FedEx/UPS to ship it. If it's still available, Bud's offers a handgun shipping service that's quite reasonable; they give you a quote, you pay, print a shipping label, deliver to whomever the carrier is, done.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Taken from : Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

432 Mailability
432.1 General
Mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, all of the provisions of postal law in 18 U.S.C. 1715, and all other all federal and state regulations and local ordinances affecting the movement of firearms. The following also applies:

1. The Postal Service may require the mailer to open parcels containing firearms or air guns or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.
  2. Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.
  3. No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms.
  4. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1-7.
  5. Except for shipments between licensed dealers, manufacturers, or importers, all regulated firearms must be mailed using a USPS product or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns
Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

1. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when intended for delivery within the same state of mailing. These items must:
    1. Bear a "Return Service Requested" endorsement.
    2. Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  2. A rifle or shotgun owned by a non-FFL may be mailed outside the owner's state of residence by the owner to himself or herself, in care of another person in the other state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. These mailpieces must:
    1. Be addressed to the owner.
    2. Include the "in the care of" endorsement immediately preceding the name of the applicable temporary custodian.
    3. Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only.
    4. Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  3. Mailing of rifles and shotguns between licensed FFL dealers, manufacturers, or importers are not restricted. The Postal Service recommends that these items be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  4. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  5. Except as described in 432.3a, licensed curio and relic collectors may mail firearms meeting the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 domestically to licensed FFL curio and relic collectors in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
  6. Firearms meeting the definition of a rifle or shotgun under 431.4 which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum, which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing without restriction when mailed between governmental museums.
  7. Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an adult signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
432.4 Indemnity Claims
When indemnity claims pertaining to regulated firearms are filed for loss or damage to contents, claims will only be paid for complete loss under either of the following conditions:

1. The regulated firearm has been lost, or
  2. When the mailer has provided reasonable estimates of the firearm's value and of repair cost from a reputable dealer, and the repair cost exceeds the declared and/or actual value of the firearm at the time of mailing.
433 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms
Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of firearms. Mailers requesting additional information should be referred to the ATF. Further advice and ATF contact information is available at ATF Home Page | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Taken From: 432 Mailability | Postal Explorer

I am NOT a lawyer and haven't slept at a Holiday Inn.

Aloha, Mark

PS...…WARNING....it's dumb but here it is. Are You Illegally Carrying Concealed at the Post Office? - USA Carry
That makes sense because I have shipped handguns via FedEx before.

A good friend of mine is a custom smith and works on HIGH-high end restorations. He did a Henry rifle (real one) barrel and sent it back UPS. It was "only" 50 miles away but he didn't want to drive up and back, so insured it for $20,000 and boxed it very, very well. The guy gets an empty box that was sawed open and calls my friend. My friend goes into UPS and hands them the slip to get his $20,000. First thing they do is claim he altered the form from $2000 to $20,000. Funny how the carbon copy they had disappeared out of the place. He calmly replied that the crook wouldn't know what it was, after all, who would know a 3' iron bar was worth anything and where would the lost and found office be for the area? They literally picked him up and carried him out and told him not to come back. Long story short, they had a few dozen lawyers to stall it for the next 10 years and he got nothing, he did a bunch of gun work for free for the guy and drives the stuff that is within a couple of hours up to them personally.

Handguns MUST be shipped by FFL. Period.

Has something changed? I have shipped my pistols back and forth to various custom shops and manufacturers directly over the years. They ship it back to me at the office since a return sig is required. No FFL but it's not a transfer. I have even shipped pistols to myself when flying to avoid the hassle.

Has something changed? I have shipped my pistols back and forth to various custom shops and manufacturers directly over the years. They ship it back to me at the office since a return sig is required. No FFL but it's not a transfer. I have even shipped pistols to myself when flying to avoid the hassle.

I think the post applies only to USPS. Common carriers like FedEx and UPS may be used to ship handguns.

Back in the pre I-594 days I sold a rifle to another guy in WA and shipped it to him via USPS. It was all boxed up and I declared it as a rifle. The clerk said "what type of rifle?" I said "it's an Enfield" to which he asked "303 or 308?" so we had a good conversation about that. This was in the downtown office in super liberal Bellingham. Never know who you'll be talking to at the Post Office...

Back in the pre I-594 days I sold a rifle to another guy in WA and shipped it to him via USPS. It was all boxed up and I declared it as a rifle. The clerk said "what type of rifle?" I said "it's an Enfield" to which he asked "303 or 308?" so we had a good conversation about that. This was in the downtown office in super liberal Bellingham. Never know who you'll be talking to at the Post Office...
Before the 2008 madness I stocked up on every caliber I shot at the time while it was still cheap. UPS guy rings the bell one day and says your ammo is here where do you want it. :) We talked about the impending shortage while he unloaded several cases in front of my garage door (no it did not stay in the garage permanently). Good conversation, good guy, told him where to find good prices. I'm still shooting some of that stuff. Probably been through all of the 9mm and bought more between panics.

wow that's better then I thought . So it doesn't gotta go overnight correct since it's not a handgun? I had the worst experience last month I shipped a Milled ak pistol it weighed 23lbs with accessories my total came out to $200 plus .
Use SHIPMYGUN.COM for pistols, and maybe rifles (at least compare to USPS).

Depends on the weight. Look up "Priority Mail, your own package". There is additional cost for packages over 12" dimensions, albeit minor.
IIRC, to ship that last rifle was < $17 including insurance. I think I valued the rifle at $375.
That value is super! I feel bad for this guy who bought my scoped Remington 799 at 12lbs packed. He lives is Alaska. Normally I had been using SHIPMY GUN.COM (SMG) for pistols and rifles and they cost less than $40 insured most times, but SMG only ships to the cont. US. It cost this guy in Alaska $110 insured for 2nd day, which was only $6 more than "ground," and two days earlier. And literally, he tells me that he forgot to tell me I could have used USPS and sent me the regs as proof; his money.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top